Quantcast

Recommendations for Espresso Machine???

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
Any recommendations for a home espresso machine? Nothing that'll break the bank, but still make a nice brew. Maybe under $250 or so?

toby

Nov 8, 2006
Del Mar
i have a friend who shelled out 1300 bucks for that one from starbucks, and it makes some great espressos at the touch of a button.

still a ripoff IMO, sorry i couldn't help you :(

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I bought a Starbucks Baristo about 4 or 5 years ago and it has worked great. I recently bought their Delongi automatic machine when they where on "sale" for a grand. It makes kick ass coffee and is self cleaning. self grinding and what not.

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
Scientists say: An expensive machine is not all that useful if you don't have an expensive grinder to go with it. A $250 grinder and a $50 machine will make better espresso than a $500 machine and a $30 grinder.

Summary: spend most of your cash on a good burr grinder if you want top notch espresso.

There is a special place in my heart for the traditional stove top units. The budget hasn't yet allowed me to procure a good setup for myself, so I grind in small batches at a store.

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
I bought my sweets last years' high end Krups model (on clearance because they were bringing in this year's high end model) :)
Then I bought a quality burr grinder.
Total cost outset was $350 ($500 machine marked down to $250 + $100 burr grinder).

We have tasty, slow espresso on Saturday mornings...

Overall impressions:
The burr grinder is great, but sensitive - you find that perfect setting once, and then quickly forget what that was when you grind the coarse stuff for the daily press, fast coffees...we're getting there though slowly with experimentation.
Not overly impressed with the milk frother yet. It makes the bubbles too big - not dense enough.
We also get frustrated by the amount of cleaning two small espressos require on the machine. If not carefully swept, wiped, cleaned out, you end up with espresso spraying every which way but down into your cups the Next time you want a tasty bevvy.

Honestly...next time I'd probably shell out a grand to get a better machine, rather than trying to stay mid-line.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Scientists say: An expensive machine is not all that useful if you don't have an expensive grinder to go with it. A $250 grinder and a $50 machine will make better espresso than a $500 machine and a $30 grinder.

Summary: spend most of your cash on a good burr grinder if you want top notch espresso.
The man speaks the truth.

I'm so happy I got a Mini 4 years ago when they were still $350...

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Rancilio Epoca.

I use this at the coffee bar I work at, lovely machine, best espresso I've ever had and the steam wands make beautiful froth. We've also got a pair of Rancilio Rocky Grinders.

Starbucks sells a home model from this brand, no idea on the cost though.

seriously, this thing is the sh*t when it comes to quality drinks.

...alright, checked prices online. The single version of this goes for 2-2,500. Wow, that is pricey. They do have a less impressive model for $500. Considering how many shots I brew on this a day and how little cleaning I need to do on it I imagine it will last forever in a household setting.

The Ito