Quantcast

Recommended beer

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Tried Flying Fish Imperial Espresso Porter the other day. It was a bit expensive (7 or 7.50 for a 4 pack), but worth it. Rich and smooth with great flavor. Coffee flavor is there, but not overpowering at all. I don't know if they have Flying Fish in other parts of the country (never saw it in VT; it's an NJ brewery), but most of their beers are worth a try or six.

Imperial Espresso Porter
This robust dark brew has been created using rich Columbian dark roast coffee to celebrate our 10th anniversary in royal fashion. The enticing regal aromas of toffee and licorice lead to the coronation of taste; a palate of malty richness exhibiting chocolate and coffee notes, balanced by the noble and novel Mt. Rainer hop, all topped with a rich creamy crown. This very special offering will warm your soul and lift your spirits. Oh yeah, it also packs a royal kick at 8% alcohol.

Malts: Two Row Pale, Munich, Chocolate, Medium Crystal and Cara Malts.
Hops: Magnum and Mount Rainier
Yeast: English Ale
Coffee: Columbian Dark Roast
Original Gravity: 18 Plato
Alcohol by volume: 8%
Formats: 12 oz. bottles, 1/6 kegs
Availability Release date January 15, 2007 in limited quantity

Food pairings: Sir Loin of Beef, Crown Roast Pork, or the dishes made famous by Lord Sandwich or the cheese named after Sir Cheddar.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I've had most of Saranac's brews (their 12 packs seem to contain 15 varieties). They don't sell them too much down here, but they were a mid-level beer staple when I was in Vermont.

They make decent reasonably priced beers but the few caramel porters I tried were excellent and fairly unique. I'd say it stood well above the rest of their offerings. It was the only beer that has "wowed" me in years.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
They make decent reasonably priced beers but the few caramel porters I tried were excellent and fairly unique. I'd say it stood well above the rest of their offerings. It was the only beer that has "wowed" me in years.
Hmmm... I'll have to pick some up. I saw bottles of it at the beer store the other day, but wasn't in a porter mood. I'll be sure to try it out next time.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Terrapin Wake N Bake Stout is pretty awesome. Brewed with Jittery Joe's coffee and 8.1% alc. I think it's only available for a month or two now.

stinkydawg

Chimp
Oct 10, 2006
Hoegaarden is by far the best imported brew around! Drank it for 4 years while in Germany and then found some on the mainland when I got back. Now I cannot find it here in Maui.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
If you can find it, Saranac's Caramel Porter is amazing.
We picked up a pitcher of that last night with dinner at a bar. It was good, but a little too much caramel flavor. One pint would have been fine, two was pushing it. Made everything taste like caramel corn.

My most recent "new" beer is Greene King IPA. Possibly one of the most interesting IPA's I've ever had, mostly because it doesn't taste like an IPA, is green, and bubbles like Guinness. Definitely try it if you get a chance. British pubs seem to have it.

Also, anything by Lagunitas tends to be very good and very strong. My favorite being the seasonal Brown Shugga. Their Cappuccino Stout is pretty badass, as is the Censored Ale.

The Ito

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Since we're recommending...

Bell's Brewery http://www.bellsbeer.com/

Available as far south as Richmond, VA AFAIK.

I really like the Amber (smooth) and also the Two Hearted Ale (hoppy). The Pale is nice and crisp, a great summertime refresher.

Mike

VTApe

Monkey
Feb 5, 2005
Vermont
I've been drinking a lot of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale lately, but picked up a six pack of Long Trail Doublebag... I'm sure most of you have had it, it might be the smoothest dark beer I've tried, really good stuff!

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I've been drinking a lot of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale lately, but picked up a six pack of Long Trail Doublebag... I'm sure most of you have had it, it might be the smoothest dark beer I've tried, really good stuff!
Don't know if I'd classify Doublebag as "dark," but it's definitely good! It'll get you bit, that's for sure.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
This past weekend I had some...

Rogue Dead Guy Ale
Rogue Brutal Bitter
Boulder Beer Co. Hazed & Infused IPA

I'd recommend all of the above! :thumb:

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
We picked up a pitcher of that last night with dinner at a bar. It was good, but a little too much caramel flavor. One pint would have been fine, two was pushing it. Made everything taste like caramel corn.

The Ito
Finally tried some of this last night. It was pretty good. Maybe a bit strong in the caramel flavor, but it wasn't too bad. I won't mind drinking the rest of them.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
is there anyone else like me who doesn't like ipas or any pale ales for that matter?
I'm not a fan of a majority of American "more hops is better" IPAs/Pales. I like some malt flavor in my beers. If I wanted to taste only the hops I'd drop $1.50 on an ounce and eat them out of the bag.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I'm not a fan of a majority of American "more hops is better" IPAs/Pales. I like some malt flavor in my beers. If I wanted to taste only the hops I'd drop $1.50 on an ounce and eat them out of the bag.
I kind of agree. I'm not a huge IPA fan. I'll have one or two sometimes, but just for the contrast.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
Sorry, I don't think you are going to be opening a pub out West. We love our hops!