Quantcast

Recommended spring calculators?

JudgeDH

Chimp
Feb 7, 2008
Just wondering, which one is the best spring calculator out there? Have used the ones from:

- Igorion
- TF Tuned
- Fox
- Linkage 2.5
- Mojo

My bikes are a Trek Session 88 (recommended sag: 35%) and a Cannondale Judge (recommended sag: 30%).

The one from Fox have a good explanation, but what should I account for rear weight, end-coil effect, etc. Any help understanding all those factors appreciated! :cheers:

Bikerpunk241

Monkey
Sep 28, 2001
I use Mojo and TF Tuned, then just find the happy medium between the two. Just checked out the fox one, that is my new favorite, so much more there than the others....

Last edited:

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
Hmm, I ran through the spring calculators just to double check what spring I really should be on on my '06 Foes Fly.

I sent my frame back to Foes to have some work done inlcuding rebuilding the shock and getting a new spring. I know I was oversprung as my old spring was a 400lb spring. Foes' little Fly booklet says that I should be on a 250lb spring.
I'm 145-155lb with gear(I can't explain the rapid changes). The frame is either 8 or 9" of travel with a 3" stroke. The spring calculator also points me to a 250lb spring. However the invoice shows a 200lb spring on the way which still places me a 37% sag with 4 turns of preload.
Those numbers to me look bad. However, this is what Foes decided on after revalving my shock. Can anyone possibly explain as to how they came to the conclusion that I should be on a 200lb spring?

-Kevin

Old_Sckool

Monkey
Jun 5, 2007
I tried them all.

Matched them to mine and my sons bikes against the springs that we actually use. Our weights run 140lb to 190lbs.

Mojo and the Linkage program where the only two that got it right. Some of the others weren't even close. Off by as much as 100lbs.

I think the linkage program is probably best, since it probably takes into account the bikes actual leverage curve, rather then just stroke and travel.

Nov 4, 2007
Bay Area
I've never found the mojo calculator to be accurate. I just went through both the fox and mojo calcs for my v10 and mojo says i need a 700lb spring! Fox was much closer to the truth suggesting 500 (I run 550).

Old_Sckool

Monkey
Jun 5, 2007
I've never found the mojo calculator to be accurate. I just went through both the fox and mojo calcs for my v10 and mojo says i need a 700lb spring! Fox was much closer to the truth suggesting 500 (I run 550).
The Mojo calculator doesn't have a setting for sag. Since the V10 runs 40%, I don't think the Mojo would be accurate in your case.

Not sure what you weigh, but to get the spring rate you say you need, using the Fox calculator, I came up with your weight as 275lbs. Are you that big?

Using Linkage and a 225lb rider weight, the v10 came in at a 483lb suggested spring.