Quantcast

Recover!

AndyPav

Chimp
Sep 8, 2010
Columbus GA
SO I finally have my dh bike pieced together again. I had collar bone surgery after a bad break in Snowshoe. 6 in aluminum plate was put it, Surgery was july 11th. It no longer hurts bouncing around on the bike on singletrack.

im lookin for advice on how i can recover from something like this. i felt really weak and shakey on the dh bike, the small dj bike wasnt bad when i was on it.

felt weak, super uncomfortable, and honestly a bit scarred:shocked:. any kind of guidance would be appreciated.

see yall at windrock.:thumb:

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Avoid the DH bike until you are 110% sure you can handle it well enough again. Stay on the xc bike and get in the gym to strengthen your shoulder again and condition it for the abuse that it will take from riding downhill.

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee
I broke my collar bone at Diablo in June. After 7-8 weeks I began to ride again anfter it did some muscle rebuilding. (which is very important!) When i Rode DH for the first time again, I stated out a bit slower because I was nervous. As I rode, things felt a lot better and I was more confident.

When I went back to Diablo a few weeks ago, I was really nervous on the big table tops and did not hit them anything like I did the first trip. I just kept seeing myslef doing it again. At the end of the day though I ended up hitting some of them with vengance to make myself feel good. It is about getting over the past and moving on. If you worry to much or go to easy, you are more likely to wreck and poetentially hurt yourself once again.

-Brett

RapidRob

Chimp
Aug 12, 2009
Bama
After 2 femur breaks within 1 year i have found whey protein to be helpful in rebuilding muscle around the break and preventing soreness. Once the muscle began returning to normal it gave me similar confidence and strength to what i had before surgery. A lack of caffeine, and lots of calcium, vitamin D, and krill oil can't hurt either :thumb:

AndyPav

Chimp
Sep 8, 2010
Columbus GA
hahaha alright, if id move, i would believe me. currently building some freeride trails on some of my buddies property...thanks for the advice...my first real runs will be at windrock next weekend. see yall there!