Quantcast

Recovering From Broken Bones

sjcX3oldtown

Monkey
Mar 22, 2005
san juan capistrano old town
Like many of us on RIDEMONKEY, we have had or are in some sort of medical trouble: BROKEN BONES, and with this its hard to keep that "awsome body" / pure racing physiq in top shape (muscle loss due to not using) when your some what imobilized. like many of you out there, share your secret/special RECOVERY exercise's and diets to us on how to get back to a quick recovery and to a RACING state :trophy_br

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
Provided you don't have a broken leg/foot/ankle spinning is good, as boring as it is. Get a roller thing, put on a movie, and spin in your living room.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
black noise said:
Provided you don't have a broken leg/foot/ankle spinning is good, as boring as it is. Get a roller thing, put on a movie, and spin in your living room.
Yep. Ride the trainer.

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
Don't go pulling on a chain saw w/o a broken collarbone fully healing. It just adds to your down time.

Stay active and avoid the temptation to just sit around and drink beer. The hardest thing for me was eating less calories because I wasn't burning nearly as much as before. I forced myself to ride a trainer, but I hated it. Running worked for me. I just reread the original post and I was never a super duper racer in perfect shape. I just rode the sh!t out of my bike when the doctor said I was healed.

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
after breaking my leg this past fall, i was able to try and start walking after only 3 weeks because of the support the ti rod in my leg gave me. It was super tough but they said as long as i could bear the pain it would be fine. So i was dilligent about getting back to walking quickly, and after that just riding every day and pushing myself more and more. I especially needed to work on getting my broken leg to do the physical work it needed to when pedaling, because my other leg was the one getting tired.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Pip3r said:
after breaking my leg this past fall, i was able to try and start walking after only 3 weeks because of the support the ti rod in my leg gave me. It was super tough but they said as long as i could bear the pain it would be fine. So i was dilligent about getting back to walking quickly, and after that just riding every day and pushing myself more and more. I especially needed to work on getting my broken leg to do the physical work it needed to when pedaling, because my other leg was the one getting tired.
Yeah, you can do those one legged drills on either a trainer or spin bike. Those suck, and will let you know right away which leg feels stronger.

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
Finding alternative methods of excercise is a little bit harder if you've cracked or broken your ribs. For those, all you can really do is take it easy and log on some hours on the xbox or playstation. Or if you wanted to, you could do a lot of calf raises.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
I broke the Navicular bone in my foot last February. Went to the gym almost everyday and did upper body stuff. Started to ride mild, smooth stuff, like dirt jumps and mellow trails, after about 3-4 weeks. At week 2 I was already back on the road bike, but riding with flat pedals. Cut the cast off myself right around week 5, and continued with the mellow riding thing. Sea Otter was week 7, and the oficial come back. Avoid drinking lots of beer and smoking lots of pot, do excercise as much as possible to stimulate blood flow, which could possibly help heal things quick.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Wait, you're saying my patented 16 wheels, 50 extra pounds, as much McDonalds and Subway ('cause Jarod lost the weight) system of sitting on the couch and jerkin my crank was the wrong way?

Kinda explains why I look like santa claus with an assault rifle now.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
sjcX3oldtown said:
Like many of us on RIDEMONKEY, we have had or are in some sort of medical trouble: BROKEN BONES, and with this its hard to keep that "awsome body" / pure racing physiq in top shape (muscle loss due to not using) when your some what imobilized. like many of you out there, share your secret/special RECOVERY exercise's and diets to us on how to get back to a quick recovery and to a RACING state :trophy_br
See, god punishes for being an ignorant homophobe:nopity:

Threepointtwo

Monkey
Jun 21, 2002
SLC, UT
I broke my left arm 4 times within the last 12 months so I have lots of experience with this. Obviously, I didn't learn the most important lesson- don't try to get back too quickly. Do what the doctor says - a little more time healing may save you a whole bunch of time overall.

Fortunately, it was my arm so I could continue with cardio workouts like a wind trainer and the stair stepper. If it is your leg/foot, you can do that arm pedaling thing at the gym - anything to keep your cardio up. This also helps the healing process by elevating your blood flow.

Also, I read an article about how there is a "phantom effect" on the injured arm if you work out the other. Basically, your injured arm will benefit somewhat if you lift weights with the other arm. I continued in the weight room with one armed workouts and within a couple of weeks after getting released by the doc, I was back to full strength on the injured arm so it seems to work.

Also, as mentioned above, do your rehab, particularly stretching. It is real easy to avoid the pain by not flexing the newly healed area but this will lead to permanent loss of range of motion. Take rehab seriously.

I am going to wear a carbon fiber brace for at least a year on the injured arm as well, just in case. I have crashed on it and it held so that is a relief.

art vandelay

Chimp
Aug 28, 2004
Golden, CO
I broke my femur back at the end of Jan and what has helped me the most is just using the leg as much as possible. At 2 weeks I started riding the trainer a lot. At 4 weeks I was able to walk without a problem. One thing I do is try to balance on the bad leg when I'm doing everyday things like brushing my teeth and it seems to be helping a ton.
The key to a good recovery is just not being lazy about it.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
I broke my humerus into multiple pieces right in the middle of the bone. It turned into a "non-union" which means the bone refuses to heal. I rode the trainer tons just to keep circulation going. Tried lots of homeopathich stuff and ultrasound..... but it was rough. my shoulder is still totally tweaked even 2 years later.
but riding the trainer was all i did to try and recover.

not my husband has a badly broken wrist. he's convinced chocolate milk will bring him back to health.