Quantcast

Recovery Drinks?

Jeff 151

Monkey
Sep 25, 2004
DeezBay, Cali
Recovery drinks are just a quick, easy way to refuel with what your body needs after excercise. For about 15-20 minutes after sustained excercise your system is still fired up like a blast furnace. Basically the metabolism still thinks the body is exercising. This is the window in which to slam carbohydrates, which are the body's most accessable form of "energy". Refueling with carbs now is the healthiest way to recover from the exertion. Drinks also hydrate and replace electrolytes. That's what all the sodium (salt) is for, to replace what you sweat out. Those are the two most important jobs of recovery drinks. Some have protein which is critical for optimum muscle regeneration. After weight-lifting or seriously quad-tearing rides, protein is a must with the carbs. But for lighter, more cardio-type stuff it's not as key.
I like the GU2o drink, not too much sugar.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
After hard training rides or super long rides I like to grab a gatorade. I rarely drink the stuff, but after an exceptionally hard ride it really helps out. A good post ride meal is also key of course, but the drink hits the spot and after 3-4+ hours of water gatorade tastes GOOD.

The Ito

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
when I did a team 24 hour race, I drank a redbull 30 minutes before my lap and Endurox R4 after, seemed to work good....... but I wonder if that combo had anything to do w/me not sleeping?

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
douglas said:
when I did a team 24 hour race, I drank a redbull 30 minutes before my lap and Endurox R4 after, seemed to work good....... but I wonder if that combo had anything to do w/me not sleeping?
LMAO - that combo would send my stomach straight to the gutter!

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Ugg how do u guys drink red bull? I can;t stand it unless it's early in the morning at a club or rave and i;m trying to wake up. If I took it while racing i'de prolly hurl.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
douglas said:
My first XC race someone told me to try a Sobe Adrenaline Rush for an extra boost of energy. I took the advice and I really wish I hadn't. Yes I got an insane burst of energy, but I ended up puking right before the finish line.......on the guy that was sprinting next to me, never again will I drink one of those energy drinks....yuck! Learned my lesson though.

The Ito

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
most of my volleyball team drank a redbull last night (some redbull girls were handing them out), and we had our best results of the season!!

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
After a hard ride I usually drink some Endurox R4. It was something I tried the first time I went to Monkeyfest. I hadn't been on more than 5 or 6 rides all summer and was worried I wouldn't recover fast enough on my own. It really helped. I pulled off three solid rides in three days with no trouble. Like someone else mentioned, it takes advantage of the body's natural "quick recharge" window to replenish carbs. It's also got something (protein?) in it to reduce muscle soreness.

Next season I'm going to try the E-caps High Electrolyte Energy Drink (HEED) with some whey in it as a recovery drink. A buddy of mine swears by it.

I can't drink Redbull when riding. It's too sugary. It's got a nice rush at first, but I crash hard. Check out HEED. It's the only sports drink I'll drink from now on. It proved itself to me at the last Monkeyfest. I think Echo will vouch for it too. We were both close to bonking and it fixed us right up.

nuttypoolog

Monkey
Apr 3, 2004
Atlanta
BikeGeek said:
I can't drink Redbull when riding. It's too sugary. It's got a nice rush at first, but I crash hard.
try the sugar free.

my problem with it for DH is that it shakes up in my belly and gives me vurps. YUMMY! If I remember I'll try them for 4X next season.

But I'll stick to Gatorade and/or water after a ride.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
What about beer? I have a poster of guys taking a break during the 1921 TdF sitting on a step knocking backl a few pints....what a great photo.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I used to race with a camelback full of watered down redbull and endurolyte tablets.
But for recovery beer and pizza work best.

Slider

Monkey
May 23, 2004
Moscow, ID
Red Bull leads to a sugar CRAsh which is an athletic and performance catastrophe. It is like they say once you feel thirsty you are dehydrated. Cytomax is awesome for durring and post work out drink they call it burn down the house in the weight lifting comunity. It is great the for type activty that makes you burn. Drink plenty and often. I you are not into, can not afford or are biast against supliments at least have a gator aid afterwards for vitmanin and potassium relatied reasons.