Quantcast

Red front doors?

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
In China, red is the color of festivities and celebrations. Extended to the color of doors, it's a welcome sign thing. There are a lot of red doors in the Chinese countries (ie. Taiwan, China itself, Singapore, Hong Kong...)

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
In New England a lot of the older and bigger homes are white with black shutters, and red doors. Not sure what the significance is… maybe it was an expensive color for the time so to have your door red meant wealth.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
In our world of wierd rules and conformity in Columbia, MD, your not allowed to have funny colored stuff. Red doors are ok but not s**t on the lawn or no pink houses. And we all have group mailboxes. haha

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Slugman said:
In New England a lot of the older and bigger homes are white with black shutters, and red doors.
This is my house exactly!! Big white colonial w/ black shutters and a red door. Not too old though, built in 1944.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
dh girlie said:
Elizabeth Arden - queen of cosmetics...along the lines of a Mary Kay or Estee Lauder...she died, but her spas are called Red Door or something...nevermind...
Ahhhh... OK.. Sorry, I don't wear makeup so I don't know much about Elizabeth Arden other than from commercials.
My GF wants a red door too... Maybe it's a girl thing.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
dh girlie said:
Ugh...those are hideous ugly old lady clothes...
Yup... it was started in my home town, and EVERYONE wore that crap.

When I met my wife she was HORRIFIED to learn that I came from the same town as that store...

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
It actually has religious connotations. In the earlier days of the church it was understood that a soldier could not pursue an enemy that had entered through the red doors of a church. The red doors were a symbol of refuge and sanctuary for all people who entered. To all concerned, the red on the doors signified the blood of Christ that had been shed so that all who came to him could be saved. Anyone who passed through those doors was safe as long as they stayed behind them.

I think I'll paint my front door black... :D

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I think people are just bored with regular door colors and they want to jazz it up a bit.

It's just paint... if ya get tired of it paint over it with something else.

Crashby said:
It actually has religious connotations. In the earlier days of the church it was understood that a soldier could not pursue an enemy that had entered through the red doors of a church. The red doors were a symbol of refuge and sanctuary for all people who entered. To all concerned, the red on the doors signified the blood of Christ that had been shed so that all who came to him could be saved. Anyone who passed through those doors was safe as long as they stayed behind them.

I think I'll paint my front door black... :D
The one intelligent post...thanks Crashby.

Since I live in uber liberal Santa Cruz, my personal take on it was that it had to have some type of religious significance.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I think it's funny how something so simple (anything) can have serious meaning to one person and mean absolutley NOTHING to someone else.

take this hand gesture by mr. bush, evil and satanic to some, absolutley NOTHING to someone else.

http://www.kirotv.com/news/4116379/detail.html

I laughed my ass off when I saw him doing this..... :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
pnj said:
I think it's funny how something so simple (anything) can have serious meaning to one person and mean absolutley NOTHING to someone else.

take this hand gesture by mr. bush, evil and satanic to some, absolutley NOTHING to someone else.

http://www.kirotv.com/news/4116379/detail.html

I laughed my ass off when I saw him doing this..... :D
or the "ok" sign, which is supposed to mean "asshole" when in brazil

Jan 18, 2005
dirty jersey
there used to be a bar near me called " the red door" which of course had one. also made quite possibly the best buffalo burgers ever.

there's also a row hose in new bunswick, off college ave, that has a red door, and the uderside of the overhand is red as well, and when just the porch light is on, looks absolutely amazing.... i would love to photograph it, but there's a litte tree in teh way :(

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
I just bought a new house about 6 months ago and it came with a red door. I don't remember having the option to pick that out. I think they were just trying to give the street some personality by painting the doors different colors. As far as being safe behind the red door of my house,... don't count on it.

idontknow

Chimp
Jul 14, 2004
My house is white with black shutters and a red door..only reson its red cause my mom liked it. my house isnt old at all though..not even 11 years old