Quantcast

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle....

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Why is it people tend to forget about the first 2 and only focus on the last?...my job just got in a few new products and the amount of packaging is ridiculous! I asked the rep about it and he says " well it's all recyclable" like that makes it all better:rant:

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
the first two take more effort than the last one, so are you really surprised?

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
At your local grocery store do they put one item per bag and triple bag a gallon of water ?
They do that here and it really pisses me off.

I'll walk up to the check out with three items and they will question whether or not I'm sure I don't need a bag.

Bag pushin mutha fockers.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
At your local grocery store do they put one item per bag and triple bag a gallon of water ?
They do that here and it really pisses me off.

I'll walk up to the check out with three items and they will question whether or not I'm sure I don't need a bag.

Bag pushin mutha fockers.
yeah you would think they own stock in bags or something...I use cloth bags 95% of time when I can remember to put them in the car :D

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I'm with you 100% ... as the others said, the first two take effort. In the US, people have been so conditioned to by the throw away/disposable culture that it'll take some time to turn that around in the absence of visibly meaningful incentives.

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
I see this weird dichotomy going on in our "culture" (I use the term loosely). But I see this big push for environmentally friendly products and recyclable materials, and yet this equal push for throw away stuff... especially cleaning products that come in individual "wipes" form.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I see this weird dichotomy going on in our "culture" (I use the term loosely). But I see this big push for environmentally friendly products and recyclable materials, and yet this equal push for throw away stuff... especially cleaning products that come in individual "wipes" form.

I refuse to use these swiffer-type products.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
We've cut down on our trash so much simply by reducing and reusing. I reuse jars for storage (used to do reuse plastic too but now I just avoid it altogether), cloth napkins and dishtowels instead of paper, soap and water for cleaning so I don't have 3 million spray bottles, omission of processed foods cuts down on packaging trash, and we don't really shop for any 'things' anymore. I am *this* close to going to reusable toilet paper.

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
at my job they're really pushing the whole sustainability thing...but our head engineer just doesn't get it. one of the things they want us to do, is start printing things front and back to save paper. well my project right now is draw everything in the new software, and the drawings have to be signed and released by the head engineer before they go out. so he wants us to print out our first copy, and a copy of the bill of materials for every part and assembly, then he marks it up, then gives it back, we make the changes, print out a new copy, he double checks it and releases it, then we have to print out a released copy. i have some models that have close to 100 drawings, i can use close to if not a full ream of paper...all because he has never opened our CAD software, and doesn't know the first thing about using it. we've finally got it cut down a little bit...but it could still be a lot better. ideally he could pull up the drawing on his computer, and the bill of materials on his computer, check it there, and either fix what he wants, or make nots for what he wants fixed, then we fix it, and then print of the final released drawing...but he just cant wrap his head around it

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
yep...solidworks 08 and pdmworks user area...sucks donkey balls too imo

edit: i shouldn't say it sucks, but it's got some really annoying bugs that need to be fixed...especially with the vault...you can do some really cool stuff with the software, but when it comes down to doing drawings, and getting your local copy and the vault copy in sync...it's just a real pain some times

Last edited:

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
We've cut down on our trash so much simply by reducing and reusing. I reuse jars for storage (used to do reuse plastic too but now I just avoid it altogether), cloth napkins and dishtowels instead of paper, soap and water for cleaning so I don't have 3 million spray bottles, omission of processed foods cuts down on packaging trash, and we don't really shop for any 'things' anymore. I am *this* close to going to reusable toilet paper.
I wouldn't worry to much about the TP...for the most part, paper is a renewable source...and the cost difference is not justifiable IMO...recycling paper isn't as energy/cost saving as say aluminum, copper etc...but you could install a low flow toilet valve...D

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
Why is it people tend to forget about the first 2 and only focus on the last?...my job just got in a few new products and the amount of packaging is ridiculous! I asked the rep about it and he says " well it's all recyclable" like that makes it all better:rant:
It is recyclable IF your local service picks up that kind of plastic. Our doesn't.:crazy:

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
F the recycling!!! I prefer to employ. I toss the stuff in the regular garbage, people rummage through the garbage and remove all the bottles & cans. Then they turn them in to the recycling plant for cold hard cash!!!!!!

I look out for the less fortunate, while providing them with work. :thumb: :D

;););););)

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
F the recycling!!! I prefer to employ. I toss the stuff in the regular garbage, people rummage through the garbage and remove all the bottles & cans. Then they turn them in to the recycling plant for cold hard cash!!!!!!

;););););)
You are quite the humanitarian.
:think:

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC

;););););)
we need a sarcasm smiley :D

Aug 8, 2008
For some reason my gf likes those swiffer things it drives me nuts it such a waist.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Ugh! I get so mad every time my wife brings home a new swiffer produt. :banghead:

So that's what you're into. :think:

:p
we bought this reusable cloth that goes over our swiffer and it's static charged so it works just as well...once it's gets dirty you just throw it in the wash and it's good to go again....D

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
we bought this reusable cloth that goes over our swiffer and it's static charged so it works just as well...once it's gets dirty you just throw it in the wash and it's good to go again....D
You can get a three pack of microfiber dust cloths for about $10 at any dept store. I have acres of hard floors, I've tried everything and I like micro fiber dustmops the best.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
You can get a three pack of microfiber dust cloths for about $10 at any dept store. I have acres of hard floors, I've tried everything and I like micro fiber dustmops the best.
yeah that's actually what the cloth is made of...works great...D

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Reduce - I make sure to only smoke really good herb so I use less.

Reuse - I bring the same baggie back to the dealers house every time.

Recycle - I let my poor friends clean my utensiles and then they smoke the scrapings.

See, I am "green"!

I'm bored at work with less than an hour to go.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
I wouldn't worry to much about the TP...for the most part, paper is a renewable source...and the cost difference is not justifiable IMO
i highly recommend avoiding any kimberley-clark products, however. they are clearcutting old growth forests in canada to manufacture kleenex products.