Scratch_small.jpg

I love my wheel/tire combo:
- 24" doublewides
- 2.6 Nokian Gazz Jr's
- DH tubes
- DMR revolver 14mm/13mm SS hub
- White 18T Trials FW
- WTB Superduty 20mm

I built it to ride anywhere, and I do - technical singletrack, really rocky bordering-on-Trials terrain, wood stunts, urban, the local skatepark, and even 25-mile XC rides. I love the Gazz's to death, and can run silly low tire pressure for a 220lb dude, dropping-in on rocks! What I have noticed is that I'm a little hesitant to go for big air out of a halfpipe, due to the 'feel' of the rotating wheel weight.

Do you think I'd be OK with standard or lightweight tubes?
Would that little bit of weight improve the feel in the air?
Should I just spend more time working the halfpipe?

Sometime in the future I'll build a set of 26" wheels, just cause I can. But for now I want to run a season on these to figure out what I would change. And I did consider ghetto tubless, but I don't think that is for me, unless you can convince a stubborn old-school rider...

Tom P.

Last edited:

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Hey, get some 26" rims. Atomlab pimps are a good spot to start looking. They also make some sweet red spokes too.

Those rims are pretty tough and should hold up to your weight.

Also, like said, you could run ghetto tubless. For sealant, check out ultraseal too.

For tires, if you are riding park, you might want something with a little less tread. I don't know about you, but when I ride park with knobbie tires, I slip around a little bit in pipes.

Maybe you will need to run 2 different tires. Sounds like a pain, but it will give you the best out of your ride.

Also, 26" wheels are more forgiving and much better for riding downhill.