Quantcast

Relatively New To The Scene Need help building a new bike

Jul 27, 2004
Mesa, AZ
Well I've been biking on a generic weyless freeride bike for about a year havent had any real problems with it. And dont know to much about bikes in general, Ive been trying to change that by searching and reading the forums.

I'd like to build a DJ/Free Ride Bike

I dont know a whole grip of well built frames, I have just heard of a few: Evil imperial, Kona Cowan, Orange Ms Isle

Any other frames I should look into?

Also what are some good forks. I see all these hardtails with Dual Crowns on them whats the point in that? Is there some huge advantage over single crowns?

Thanks guys. Any help will be much apreciated

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
Identiti is pretty inexpensive. Also check out the Planet X frames. As far as fork, if you're doing the dj's stick w/ a single crown fork.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Yeah sticking a dual crown on hardtail you're gonna use for DJ is pretty limiting.

HT frames on a budget: DMR, 24/7 (not 24 which are also hardtails and cool but expensive), Identiti, Planet X, Azonic, Revell, Kona, Norco. Uhh, that's all I can do off the top of my head.

Have a look at www.unrealcycles.com

AirAddict

Monkey
Jun 10, 2005
Asheville, NC
definately look at unreal cycles for frames. you can get a good idea of what you want from there. I'm thinking about getting a DMR for my next hardtail...

People put dual crowns on hardtail for when it's their freeride/downhill/dirt jump/park bike, and not just a dirt jump/park bike, but now, there are really long travel single crowns out, so there is no real need. Stick with a single crown. Dual crowns are stronger, but you probably won't notice it dirt jumping. they just limit you in turning, and x-ups and stuff.

Mar 10, 2005
Santa Cruz/Sacramento, Ca
I hate to hijack this thread, but I guess it's along the same lines.

I am looking at an azonic steelhead for a DJ/Urban frame. Have you guys heard much about these frames? They're only running around 200 and the few reviews that I've found seem somewhat decent.

From that point, I'd also want to build it up to be a single speed. I'm experianced with throwing on eight and nine speed cassettes on my rears, but I've never thrown on a single speed. Do you just find a sprokect and get the shainline correct with some sketchy spacer placement, or is there another way?

And finally. . . I'm thinking of looking at a kona shred. I've ridden one, and it's pretty nice. Sure, it's gear'd and the parts suck, but it's cheap. I am all about cheap. If this azonic steelhead project looks like it'll go above 800, do you guys feel that this is a good option? I live in a place where konas and specialized are about the only MTBs you'll find. The place that sells specialized is a retail chain and most of their sales people don't ride. I'd rather ditch a p1/2 and get a kona from my LBS (located across the street) instead.

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
steel heads are great bikes for the $$$. basicly that is what you do for switching to ss. i have a p.1 and for the money its a great super solid bike, ive since put a new fork on mine, but its definatly an option. go test some of them and see what you like

swerve76

Monkey
Aug 30, 2003
nevada
morethanjake543 said:
I hate to hijack this thread, but I guess it's along the same lines.

I am looking at an azonic steelhead for a DJ/Urban frame. Have you guys heard much about these frames? They're only running around 200 and the few reviews that I've found seem somewhat decent.

From that point, I'd also want to build it up to be a single speed. I'm experianced with throwing on eight and nine speed cassettes on my rears, but I've never thrown on a single speed. Do you just find a sprokect and get the shainline correct with some sketchy spacer placement, or is there another way?

And finally. . . I'm thinking of looking at a kona shred. I've ridden one, and it's pretty nice. Sure, it's gear'd and the parts suck, but it's cheap. I am all about cheap. If this azonic steelhead project looks like it'll go above 800, do you guys feel that this is a good option? I live in a place where konas and specialized are about the only MTBs you'll find. The place that sells specialized is a retail chain and most of their sales people don't ride. I'd rather ditch a p1/2 and get a kona from my LBS (located across the street) instead.
Just my imposed opinion. If you are building from scratch, get the shred. It will be cheaper. Ride the fork and cranks till they break then upgrade. For SS,get an $11 cog or just take apart the cassettte, use those spacers or get spacers from LBS or ghetto PVC space it out. I even used headset spacers on my stolen SS Identiti DR Jekyll for awhile. Do whatever works for you.

Mar 10, 2005
Santa Cruz/Sacramento, Ca
Awesome cool. When I rode the shred, it definently felt like a kona. I ride an 04' coiler frame and I've ridden a few other kona bikes at demo days - they all have that similar kona feel. It definently feels more agile than my coiler, so that'll be good.

I guess I'm just leaning more towards the shred at this point. . . mainly because of the price. I blew a pistonr on a whistler road trip on my coiler, and I'm finally ditching the hayes and getting avids (I've had WAY too much BS with hayes: Disc rubbing, slipping adjustment screws, broken MCs), so the few hundred I can save with the shred will probally go to that.

I've got one more paycheck before I'll be able to afford this thing. That's enough time for me to find a few bikes and ride them. I'll ride the P series around and see how they are. But until that paycheck comes, does anyone else have any other opinions?

Thanks a bunch!

Jan 18, 2005
Tiverton, RI
i have an 04 steelhead complete built up with atomlab bars funn 48's and a dj3 all mint for 500 bucks plus shipping whether you buy mine or not their amazing hardtails i rode it for about a month and loved it, the bike felt amazing. if your interested check my ad in buy and sell

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
For a simple single speed conversion, Surly and 24/7 both make little single speed converters that replace your cassette with two custom spacers and a single cog. They are supposedly very good. $20ish from both. The spacers can be swapped around to idealise the chainline, but they are designed on the 'standard' middle ring chainline - i.e. 3rd or 4th position on the cassette.

skajumper

Chimp
Mar 22, 2005
ShdowConspiracy said:
i have an 04 steelhead complete built up with atomlab bars funn 48's and a dj3 all mint for 500 bucks plus shipping whether you buy mine or not their amazing hardtails i rode it for about a month and loved it, the bike felt amazing. if your interested check my ad in buy and sell
Buy this bike. Its a great deal.