Quantcast

Reliable brakes?

mtbpaint1

Monkey
Apr 25, 2005
University of Connecticut
I currently run a Hope M6ti up front and M4 in the rear. They've been fine for a season but all I've had is problems this season, blew piston on the M6 I continue to kink and rip hoses, I've bent 3 levers. I'm not the brightest person ever, could anyone suggest stuff I could buy for my current system to make them more reliable/stronger? Or point me in the right direction of more reliable brakes? Thanks for the help

DHDror

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
Israel
If you crash alot (like I do...) you already have the right brakes.

The Hope levers are the toughest in the business , period .

Hoses are also good but you can always get braided steel hoses and add some more durability.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
get hayes mags. if you break your brakes often then youll want a pair that you can find parts for almost anywhere.

cheeselad

Chimp
May 17, 2006
DHDror said:
If you crash alot (like I do...) you already have the right brakes.

The Hope levers are the toughest in the business , period .

Hoses are also good but you can always get braided steel hoses and add some more durability.
He's right if you're trashing your stuff from crashing, buying stronger stuff probably won't help you out. But just in case you want to go throw some cash at your problem check out Goodridge for housing or Dangerboy for replacement levers.

Goodridge makes brake lines for F1 cars, supposedly they use the same tech for their mtb line. Here's a review to check out http://www.northshoremountainbiking.com/gear/goodridge_11_03.php.

Here's a review on the Dangerboy levers. http://www.pinkbike.com/news/article2747.html

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
I have the same setup you do, I have the Hope braided lines and they actually, to me seem to modulate better as well. and Then I also installed the Dangerboy levers and they are sweet. I think the Dangerboy levers are tad softer than the stock levers. I like them alot. I bent one Dangerboy lever very slightly and was able to bend it back without any problems or risk of failure. I'd say to get the Hope braided lines and stick to the Hope stock levers and move the position of the levers to accomodate.

mtbpaint1

Monkey
Apr 25, 2005
University of Connecticut
thanks guys for all the help I think I'm just going to save the cash and stick witht he hopes upgrade to the Goodridge hose and possibly the dangerboy levers. And yes I do trash stuff because I fall....I fall a lot

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
mtbpaint1 said:
thanks guys for all the help I think I'm just going to save the cash and stick witht he hopes upgrade to the Goodridge hose and possibly the dangerboy levers. And yes I do trash stuff because I fall....I fall a lot
yeah A LOT.