Quantcast

Religion

JOEBIALEK

Chimp
Jan 29, 2005
With the passing of Pope John Paul ll, perhaps some reflection on religious beliefs is appropriate. Religion is defined as a set of beliefs concerned with explaining the origins and purposes of the universe, usually involving belief in a supernatural creator and offering guidance in ethics and morals. It also consists of any of several institutions with their own beliefs, rituals, and teachings. Throughout history and even still today, most religions claim to be the one true religion and all others are considered either phony imitations or some sort of heretical sacrilege. It is a sad reality that most people do not recognize the benefit of what can be learned from other religions along the way of their spiritual journey. If one studies the major religions of today such as Christianity, Buddhism, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism etcetera they will find more similarities than differences. They are guides for how to live and grow spiritually. Some would argue that religion has been one of the biggest causes of humanity's problems but others counter that it is the misinterpretation of religious tenets that causes strife. Still further, many people see religion as a form of control over the masses whereas others see it as a necessary shield against evil influences.

I had the opportunity to read a book recently concerning near death experiences {NDE}. The book was a compilation of individual testimonies by those who left their bodies temporarily and returned to tell about their experience. The author characterized their stories and then pointed out the large similarities and small differences in each of the NDE's. Two personal friends of mine have had an NDE and shared their experience with me. I've also communicated with a deceased friend by way of a psychic medium. All three sources agreed that upon death of the body, we travel through a tunnel toward a bright, warm and loving light. Upon entering the light, we are given a life review. During the life review, we re-experience all the thoughts, words and actions that came from us. Anything negative is re-experienced as though we are the person on the receiving end of our negativity. For example, one of the contributors to the book re-experienced the event where he had severely beaten another man although this time, he felt the blows he had administered. The whole premise for experiencing the light appears to be an opportunity to examine what we have learned along our spiritual journey. In conclusion, it appears that Moses, Jesus, Mohammed, Confucius, and Buddha were all very wise men who made a significant impact on humanity teaching spirituality as it applied to a specific civilization. Perhaps if humanity could somehow integrate all these religious belief systems toward the goal of one spirituality with God, we could finally begin to see the emergence of world peace.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
$tinkle called this asshole out last time. He's some weird sort of bot or something, like N8 taken to an extreme.

http://www.google.com/search?q=With+the+passing+of+Pope+John+Paul+ll,+perhaps+some+reflection+on+religious+beliefs+is+appropriate.+Religion+is+defined+as+a+set+of+beliefs+concerned+with+explaining+the+origins+and+purposes+of+the+universe,+usually+involving+belief+in+a+supernatural+creator+and+offering+guidance+in+ethics+and+morals.+It+also+consists+of+any+of+several+institutions+with+their+own+beliefs,+rituals,+and+teachings.+Throughout+history+and+even+still+today,+most+religions+claim+to+be+the+one+true+religion+and+all+others+are+considered+either+phony+imitations+or+some+sort+of+heretical+sacrilege.+It+is+a+sad+reality+that+most+people+do+not+recognize+the+benefit+of+what+can+be+learned+from+other+religions+along+the+way+of+their+spiritual+journey.+If+one+studies+the+major+religions+of+today+such+as+Christianity,+Buddhism,+Judaism,+Islam,+Hinduism+etcetera+they+will+find+more+similarities+than+differences.+They+are+guides+for+how+to+live+and+grow+spiritually.+Some+would+argue+that+religion+has+been+one+of+the+biggest+causes+of+humanity's+problems+but+others+counter+that+it+is+the+misinterpretation+of+religious+tenets+that+causes+strife.+Still+further,+many+people+see+religion+as+a+form+of+control+over+the+masses+whereas+others+see+it+as+a+necessary+shield+against+evil+influences.&sourceid=mozilla-search&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
i get very spiritual and reach a higher state when i dont take my pills and dopamine/serotonin floods my brain...

but the doctors get very jealous and give me a shot of anti-psychotics then....

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
JOEBIALEK said:
If one studies the major religions of today such as Christianity, Buddhism, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism etcetera they will find more similarities than differences. They are guides for how to live and grow spiritually.
Uh, with all due respect I would do some more studying - the only two that are remotely similar are Christianity and Judaism.

JOEBIALEK said:
Perhaps if humanity could somehow integrate all these religious belief systems toward the goal of one spirituality with God, we could finally begin to see the emergence of world peace.
While that's a nice idea, if one were to impliment this, one would need to come up with a common concept of God as those systems you cite all have differnt ideas about what God is and what He does.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
JOEBIALEK said:
With the passing of Pope John Paul ll, perhaps some reflection on religious beliefs is appropriate. Religion is defined as a set of beliefs concerned with explaining the origins and purposes of the universe, usually involving belief in a supernatural creator and offering guidance in ethics and morals. It also consists of any of several institutions with their own beliefs, rituals, and teachings. Throughout history and even still today, most religions claim to be the one true religion and all others are considered either phony imitations or some sort of heretical sacrilege. It is a sad reality that most people do not recognize the benefit of what can be learned from other religions along the way of their spiritual journey. If one studies the major religions of today such as Christianity, Buddhism, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism etcetera they will find more similarities than differences. They are guides for how to live and grow spiritually. Some would argue that religion has been one of the biggest causes of humanity's problems but others counter that it is the misinterpretation of religious tenets that causes strife. Still further, many people see religion as a form of control over the masses whereas others see it as a necessary shield against evil influences.

I had the opportunity to read a book recently concerning near death experiences {NDE}. The book was a compilation of individual testimonies by those who left their bodies temporarily and returned to tell about their experience. The author characterized their stories and then pointed out the large similarities and small differences in each of the NDE's. Two personal friends of mine have had an NDE and shared their experience with me. I've also communicated with a deceased friend by way of a psychic medium. All three sources agreed that upon death of the body, we travel through a tunnel toward a bright, warm and loving light. Upon entering the light, we are given a life review. During the life review, we re-experience all the thoughts, words and actions that came from us. Anything negative is re-experienced as though we are the person on the receiving end of our negativity. For example, one of the contributors to the book re-experienced the event where he had severely beaten another man although this time, he felt the blows he had administered. The whole premise for experiencing the light appears to be an opportunity to examine what we have learned along our spiritual journey. In conclusion, it appears that Moses, Jesus, Mohammed, Confucius, and Buddha were all very wise men who made a significant impact on humanity teaching spirituality as it applied to a specific civilization. Perhaps if humanity could somehow integrate all these religious belief systems toward the goal of one spirituality with God, we could finally begin to see the emergence of world peace.
How does it go for those of us who don't believe there's a God? The idea of an invisible man in the sky who knows everything and loves you but will send you to a burning pit of fire and molten rock for doing the slightest wrong or for just not believe that he exists, to me is repugnant!

How's if we try this one for size: Instead of religious tenants, some of which are very intolerant (i.e. - Catholics and gays), we just treat everyone and everything else w/ the respect and courtesy like we would afford our own mothers. Everything in the universe knows what's right from wrong and we certainly don't need a group who spout moral superiority and think they know better than the rest of us telling any of us right from wrong. World peace wouldn't be too far down the pike w/ that kind of attitudes. Pontificate that for a while. ;)

Oh, in case you need me to tell you, I'm atheist. However, that doesn't mean I don't romance the idea of more love in the world instead of hate. I don't need a vessel such as God to carry that idea as I feel the idea should carry itself, maybe even more so and mightier than God as it is pure and un-interpreted. It’s very simple but so difficult to achieve - four simple words: more love than hate.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
JOEBIALEK said:
JOEBIALEK said:
some excellent points...perhaps someday religion will evolve into spirituality...

He's a robot. Same posts as the other forums. I don't think i like robots anymore

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Friggin' 'bots. In IRC, we kick the crap out of them and flood them offline unless they have really good music they're serving :D
Typically of friggin' religious zealots.
BTW, I don't live the "more love than hate" idea. It's too friggin' hard. But it is a very good idea tho, kinda like "pay it fwd" :)

vallEbikes

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
amherst mass
Pau11y said:
How does it go for those of us who don't believe there's a God? The idea of an invisible man in the sky who knows everything and loves you but will send you to a burning pit of fire and molten rock for doing the slightest wrong or for just not believe that he exists, to me is repugnant!
well said

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Pau11y said:
The idea of an invisible man in the sky who knows everything and loves you but will send you to a burning pit of fire and molten rock for doing the slightest wrong ....................
Yeah I don't believe in that god either..............

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
ALEXIS_DH said:
i get very spiritual and reach a higher state when i dont take my pills and dopamine/serotonin floods my brain...

but the doctors get very jealous and give me a shot of anti-psychotics then....
My docs get pissed if I don't take my meds either. :)

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
I read thru the posts in that forum and it seem he's not actually a 'bot. In that forum, he looks like a real poster 'cause his post in this forum was actually 2 posts from that forum. Anyway, he could just kiss my hairy bean bag about God.

Edit: if he's some kind of a theology student having us do his homework, then he's going straight to hell for that. So either way, :nuts:

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
EATYOURFACE said:
i bet i get laid more than you.. THANK GOD!
What the fvck kind of dimm-wit comment was that? If you've got nothing worthy to contribute, shut the fvck up and MAYBE someone won't thing you have only two fvcking brain cells firing. And if your comment is ANY indication of the level of intelligence that's procreating then it would go a long ways to explain why this country is drifting more and more towards the religious right, AND all the more need for armageddon to scrape your asses off the face of this earth. Oh, and God bless.

Jamsoul

Chimp
Jun 28, 2004
tha boot
I AM THE LORD THY GOD, THOU SHALT NOT HAVE strange gods BEFORE ME. Then why is the pope worshiped?...to some people the POPE has supplanted GOD.

Religion consists of man made rules which are often contradictory: When will there be a female POPE? Catholicism teaches us to believe that there is only one devine power, that the devine power is a male, that Jesus was white, and that every other religion is wrong.

If religion brings us closer to God, why have some many religious people been caught doing corrupt acts?

Religion is the gateway to psychosis.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Pau11y said:
I read thru the posts in that forum and it seem he's not actually a 'bot. In that forum, he looks like a real poster 'cause his post in this forum was actually 2 posts from that forum.
No, I don't think it's an automated process, I think the stupid git just spends an hour typing up his post and posts it to every bulliten board he can find, looking for some kind of response. His replies are always the same - vague, "good points" type posts. Never anything useful.