Quantcast

Remember having fun?

WhiteRavenKS

Turbo Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
neither here nor there
Warning- major pinkbike-quantities of stuff to hate on here:
http://thenewboredom.wordpress.com/2008/08/16/throw-back-2002-edition/

Throwback to 2002 when I was maybe 15 or 16 or something and I rode a bike every single day and did some of the dumbest stuff with my friends. That was fun.

We ride bikes- we shouldnt be taking things so seriously. Who gives a crap about axle paths, hollow pins, who Sam Hill will ride for...

I feel like there is something wrong with the sport when there are 25 threads about what tires to buy and who will ride for who for every one thread about having an awesome time with good people thanks to bikes. Or maybe it's perfect the way it is because the people having the fun are too busy doing that to start a bunch of threads in here?

Sorry to get preachy- just wanted to share my good reminder of what's important.

Would love to hear any input/opinions on the matter!

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
word.

i have been digging trails. don't care what races are happening, that i only have 1 working bike out of 5. dont care i am not on a team.

just let it rain everyday so i can keep digging

@ 1:20 was rad in your video, splash

motivation

Last edited:

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
Yep, I LOVE just riding.

Everyone makes such a big deal about what parts/tires I need to buy because my bike is not "perfect." WHO CARES!! As long as I'm having fun that's what matters!

Ya, I love racing wayyy too much and that's what I live for but after races, all I want to do is come home and play around on my bike. Despite all the training etc, it's all about having fun. Once you loose sight of the "fun factor" then, in my opinion, you should not be riding anymore.

Glad someone on here brought this up.

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
word.

i have been digging trails. don't care what races are happening, that i only have 1 working bike out of 5. dont care i am not on a team.

just let it rain everyday so i can keep digging

@ 1:20 was rad in your video, splash

motivation
You speak the truth bud!!!:banana:

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
doing dumb stuff was/is an understatement kevin. huck4life. jesus it seems like years ago when we all used to ride every single day, doing the same dumb things but having the time of our lives.

WhiteRavenKS

Turbo Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
neither here nor there
doing dumb stuff was/is an understatement kevin. huck4life. jesus it seems like years ago when we all used to ride every single day, doing the same dumb things but having the time of our lives.

how many times can you do a stair gap and have it be fun? apparently a lot if you're 16... good times.

i'm glad to see some folks around here agree. 7 posts in this thread, a jillion in the sam hill/trek thread- haha!

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
Having fun is what it is all about. I remember a parking block keeping my entertained for hours when i rode trials.

True in racing fun does take a backseat at times but I am just to competitive to give it up. I just need to remember to go back to having fun when I am not at the races.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
I love to ride, it is my life. But on the other hand, keeping an eye on the industry and seeing all the new things come out and the team changes definitely interests me.

If I had to choose to find out what team Sam Hill was going to be on or ride a mediocre street session, I would always choose riding. It keeps me sane!

dh gangster

Monkey
Jul 31, 2006
P en Doubleyou
hahahaha that was definitely me about 5 years ago before I got into racing. Plenty of drops to flat and huckstyle no footers. Good times.

If you have trouble having fun at races, relax. Try to enjoy your practice time, I know I do! I feel like when I'm having fun I go faster. Or maybe its the fact that i'm going faster thats more fun. Either way you payed 40 bucks for an entry free you might as well enjoy it.
One more thing about racing, whats more fun than winning????

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Happy bicycle people!

Today is high speed manual day! Ft. George hill, lookout!, here I come.

Just have fun! Suck if you want, be the man - but have lots of that stuff called 'fun' and you're doin it right!

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
That vid is awesome...I was talking the other day with a riding buddy about how much fun we used to have just looking for new drops and hitting the same tiny dirt jumps on our bighits and bullits... That said, I still have loads of fun on my bikes, just doing different stuff.

And ever once in a while, I see a sweet drop to flat and hit it up just for old times' sake...the headsnap always makes me smile.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
That vid is awesome...I was talking the other day with a riding buddy about how much fun we used to have just looking for new drops and hitting the same tiny dirt jumps on our bighits and bullits... That said, I still have loads of fun on my bikes, just doing different stuff.

And ever once in a while, I see a sweet drop to flat and hit it up just for old times' sake...the headsnap always makes me smile.
its funny I should see this thread. I don't have a car right now and nobody wants to go riding so I'm about to go do some big hucks to flat and loading docks around campus on my glory.

should be good times, I know I'll be smiling

:cheers:

manwithgun

Monkey
Nov 4, 2004
We ride bikes- we shouldnt be taking things so seriously. Who gives a crap about axle paths, hollow pins, who Sam Hill will ride for...

I feel like there is something wrong with the sport when there are 25 threads about what tires to buy and who will ride for who for every one thread about having an awesome time with good people thanks to bikes.
I found the express lane to fun yesterday... mounted up a pair of Michy 2.8's to the hardtail and spent the day bombing down some nostalgic DH trails. Once I got used to my eyeballs bouncing around in my head I realized that the only real difference was how much bigger my $ht-eating grin was at the bottom of the mountain. Sipping a beer now with bike in sight, wondering how I let her hang on the wall for two years. Axle path, leverage ratios, BB height, scales, whatevs.....