Quantcast

Removing frame stickers, how to?

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
So my CX bike has stickers that are not under a clear coat. They are starting to come off in places and I really want to just take them off completely.

Have any of you found a good solvent or something that will help get the stickers off without harming the paint? Any tips?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Believe it or not, peanut butter works really well for cleaning off sticker residue. And your bike smells yummy afterwards!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
we always used acetone at the shop i worked at...seemed to work pretty well
yup. dissolves the adhesive on the stickers without damaging the stickers themselves. Wipe/spray/squirt some on, let it sit for a while. Use an exacto knife or something to start peeling the sticker off, then use more acetone as you go.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Try the lighter stuff first before resorting to the big guns like acetone and laquer thinner.
WD-40 works amazingly well at removing the adhesive and won't haze the paint like solvents.

j.les

Monkey
Jul 21, 2007
Chicago
My uncle does body & fender work for a living and I have seen him use a heat gun to remove decals. Just make sure you start at a good distance away and keep it moving.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Kerosene, butter or Goo-Gone.
Believe it or not, peanut butter works really well for cleaning off sticker residue. And your bike smells yummy afterwards!
I've never heard of using either of those for removing stickers.

Citra-Solv ( similar to Goo Gone ) has worked great over the years for me. It will dissolve paint if left on too long. The trick is to peel and scrape with your fingernail as much as possible before applying the solvent. Citra-Solv contains no man made chemicals and since it is made from distilled citrus peels it is water soluble. Just make sure you wipe off the excess quickly with a soaking wet cloth.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I've never heard of using either of those for removing stickers.

Citra-Solv ( similar to Goo Gone ) has worked great over the years for me. It will dissolve paint if left on too long. The trick is to peel and scrape with your fingernail as much as possible before applying the solvent. Citra-Solv contains no man made chemicals and since it is made from distilled citrus peels it is water soluble. Just make sure you wipe off the excess quickly with a soaking wet cloth.

That stuff will take the clearcoat off of frames...be careful.