Quantcast

Removing star fangled nut

statorjso

Chimp
Jul 7, 2004
Okay, I bought a new fork that had a star fangled nut installed, but I have a headlock that I want to install. How should I go about removing the star nut?

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
a metal rod or wooden dowel and a hammer. just pound that bitch down until presto!it falls out.

statorjso

Chimp
Jul 7, 2004
Pound it down through the bottom of the steerer? Or turn the fork upside down and pound it out the top of the steerer, the way it went in?

cali4niabiker

Monkey
Jun 29, 2004
ATLANTA, GA
statorjso said:
Pound it down through the bottom of the steerer? Or turn the fork upside down and pound it out the top of the steerer, the way it went in?
Pound that sucker out from the top of the fork (where the steerer is cut).

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
is it for your stem cap or for a fender?pound it out the way it was going in. make sense?

statorjso

Chimp
Jul 7, 2004
For stem cap.... so I just continue pushing it in until it comes out the bottom? Sorry, I've never had to deal with this and I just don't wanna fuxor it up....

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
statorjso said:
For stem cap.... so I just continue pushing it in until it comes out the bottom? Sorry, I've never had to deal with this and I just don't wanna fuxor it up....
Yep, just stick a dowel or long screwdriver or something in there and pound it out through the bottom.

DO NOT pound it up through the top, you'll rip the sh*t out of your steerer tube...

J

Monkey
Dec 7, 2003
San Luis Obispo, CA
Drill out the middle of the starnut with a drill bit thats slightly bigger than the threaded part of the starnut. This takes off stress. Then pound it down the steerer. HOWEVER, depending on the fork, the steerer's inside diameter might get really small as you go down. Then what I normally do is find a rod or stick or something (I use an old broomstick) and pound the starnut up and out the opposite direction, up if the fork was on a bike.

-J

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
If you pound it UP, it will tear the hell out of the inside of your steerer tube and might make it premanantly fvcked. You should pound it DOWN with a stick or screwdriver, unless your steerer tube gets too narrow for it to fit through. In that case, drill it out with the biggest bit you can safely fit down the steerer tube. Once it's all drilled to hell, it should break apart pretty easily (or just come out the top easily).