Quantcast

Removing XT Cranks

Old_Dude

Monkey
(apologies in advance - I don't do searches to see if this has already been posted - takes too much time & blah, blah, blah :rolleyes: )

How do you remove XT cranks? My bottom bracket has been creaking - when I stand up to charge a hill, during the first two or three turns of the cranks, I hear creaking . . . I've tightened the crank bolts well, so I think the BB needs tightening - but of course, I'm guessing . . . :confused:

I can take the crank bolts out okay, and I have a Park crank puller, but it doesn't look like it'll work with XT cranks . . . :confused: :confused:

There's no way I can afford a torque wrench at this time - I know it would be very useful . . . the Zinn book isn't much help in this regard . . .

Any help is most appreciated . . . where's Kona Dude?

Thanks,

OD

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
If you have the splined style cranks then they have a metal dust cap on them that threads into the crank arm. Put your bolts back in and put the dust cap on. Unscrew the bolts WITH THE DUSTCAP ON. This is a self extracting system and it will pull the crank off. Make sure the dust cap is on all the way.

Rev.Chuck

Monkey
Apr 11, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Be sure to first pull the dust caps and screws and grease the heck out of everything, then put the screws back in, dust caps on, then unscrew the screws.
The park ccp-4 will also take it off.
If you are really big you might be able to put your feet against the frame, grab the crank and yank it off.:D

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Shimano makes a little knub that fits in. I think a coupe of dimes will work too. Or a bolt/threaded rod etc. cut to the right length.