Quantcast

Rennieing my bars.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Performance asessments of equipment that is not tuned or properly cared for are hardly liabilities for those products in any genuine way.
Of course not, but crashing happens in this sport. I have had carbon bars fail at deep scratches. It happens.

If you can somehow manage to not ever crash or scratch bars, then more power to you, but I have never seen anyone who has been able to accomplish this. It's pretty much an inevitability.

So while the CF bars may indeed be lighter and have better damping properties (there is really no argument in either case), they will usually fail sooner and more catastrophically than their aluminum counterparts under the same conditions. It's the nature of the beast.

Given the fact that most people can't even tune their own drive train or own a torque wrench, it's also a pretty good bet that they have at some point, overtorqued their brake levers and shifters (and then cried warranty :rolleyes: .) I have worked as a mechanic for a long time (past tense) and the amount of badly setup, over tightened, rusted, no grease squeaky bikes I have seen is unbelievable.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Of course not, but crashing happens in this sport. I have had carbon bars fail at deep scratches. It happens.

If you can somehow manage to not ever crash or scratch bars, then more power to you, but I have never seen anyone who has been able to accomplish this.
I've done pretty well so far! I woul replace any bar (and have) that took a nasty hit, I nicked and slightly bent some Azonic DW's in my 'freshman' year of DH.

Deep scratches I can see, but I'd personnally swap Alu in that case as well. The wrenching/self-wrenching/unqualified wrenching - the root of 95% of all part hate (and love). Ive got Alu bars too, and the Burgtec's aren't ruled out (provided the Dollar steps back up...............still waiting................................) Just not tooting that horn.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
I have had carbon bars fail at deep scratches.
i have seen a carbon bar fail at a stress riser (sharp shifter clamp), but never have seen (or heard directly of) a carbon bar break at a scratch (non clamped area of bar). i can see it perhaps happening with an under designed, super thin structure, but a properly designed part would require cutting through some thickness of fiber (which is pretty hard to do) to seriously compromise it. i'm generally sceptical of the 'scratch carbon & it'll snap' line of thought as most evidence of it occurring is anecdotal. well designed carbon bits (as bcd & lahar have demonstrated) can take a serious beating (impacts, scratches, etc) & have great longevity.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
i don't believe this was ever about one bar being superior to another, it was about stating factual information rather than passing on nonsense.

it's amazing how some people simply cannot be wrong about anything.

also, when someone calls you out for posting something stupid (and corrects you with actual facts) you don't get to go back and edit your post to cover up your tracks and then keep arguing as if you weren't being a jack-ass in the first place.

and i wonder how many people here get a wikipedia quickie and pass it off as if they are a regular expert:plthumbsdown:

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
i don't believe this was ever about one bar being superior to another, it was about stating factual information rather than passing on nonsense.

it's amazing how some people simply cannot be wrong about anything.

also, when someone calls you out for posting something stupid (and corrects you with actual facts) you don't get to go back and edit your post to cover up your tracks and then keep arguing as if you weren't being a jack-ass in the first place.

and i wonder how many people here get a wikipedia quicke and pass it off as if they are a regular expert:plthumbsdown:

What misnoformation did I post? I edit my posts continually, and have never adjusted anything but tone, usually removing comments I feel might be inferred as insulting, or to fix missed spelling errors; I dont remove comments or edit statements to retract them or to hide from people, the back and forth in this thread was plenty fast enough for quotes to get grabbed before an edit. Havent changed my stand or opinion one iota. Its very telling that rather than address the point you revert to name calling, and make suppositional accusations.

I wasnt being a jack-ass in the first place. Did I, at any point insult anyone, except possibly in retort? I posted:

"Scamdium, dont swallow the sinker too." - this is the extent of my comments that warrants "Idiot" and "Jack-Ass". Go **** yourself you arrogant faux intellectual moron - I try to be gracious and you want to be a dick. The basis for all of your insults are assumed, and your own evidence is demonstrated hearsay.

Wikipedia is about as reliable as you, which is also telling. I'm not designing the alloy, but Im certainly well qualified to chime in on the finished product. Consider that their may be legitimate and reliable references outside of your own limited experience and assumptions.

Yes, I'm an instigator, and often a contrarian - even when I know I'm wrong - I want to see proof, not supposition and hearsay, but short of the above, you have never seen my flat out insult anyone or call someone names. I dont expect you to like me, but to disrepespect or insult me because you disagree with me isn't even remotely intelligent or reasonable. This is about my 8th edit by the way.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Its very telling that rather than address the point you revert to name calling, and make suppositional accusations. . . .

Go **** yourself you arrogant faux intellectual moron - I try to be gracious and you want to be a dick. The basis for all of your insults are assumed, and your own evidence is demonstrated hearsay.
The irony here is simply priceless on so many levels.:rofl:

I think it's time for you to take your ball and go home.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
The irony here is simply priceless on so many levels.:rofl:

I think it's time for you to take your ball and go home.
Pussy Antagonist. Lets descend to fisticuffs shall we? If only that were an option.

I proved you wrong, Dave P (Who, I believe, has a low opinion of me as well, but is civil) jumped in and reinforced it, and you're still playing arrogant. What a tool.

EDIT for you: Eat the peanuts from my log, oh wisened one. (Backhanded AND fronthanded.)

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
Now there you go! Things add up so 40g can add up part to part. A solid rebuttal is welcome; insulted with no valid argument does irk me tho, go figure.

My 28"/711mm Monkeylite DH ($100) are 225g (Posted, 224g actual - weighed uncut), and I'd like to try some wider bars. Keep in mind the FSA are 31.5"/800mm wide as well not or 29.5"/750, posted weight for the Burgtecs is 265 and 270 depending which rise (hey - every g counts!); Have you weighed your own? Who is JVNixon and why should I trust his #'s? (seriously, is he 'some guy' or maybe he's stock manager for BTI or something, yo no se!) Since we're dealing in posted weights and FSA and Sunline dont have those figures up, I'd still like to see some more #'s. So hold off on the :poster_oops: for a sec.
You're right. davep and I are conspiring together as his numbers weigh pretty much the same as mine.

I have no interest in posting anything fake or wrong.

As General Lee says, the game's been over for awhile so take your ball and leave.

udi said:
You're an idiot.
UDI was right in his post.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
You too? Is this a crew I'm 'messin with'? Wow, I really cant believe this ****. I did post a somewhat chilidish comment in "Scamdium", but I certainly didn't warrant being attacked, and until my previous post didnt attack anyone, directly, indrectly or implied, I wont rationalize it the one as a response or reaction.

At the end of the discussion, which I didnt derail it from, but actually added intelligent commentary only to be antagonized for disagreeing why is it a game or a competition, its about facts, and the posted facts are a 22g difference in my pursuit of justifying the high price of their bars. Feel free to justify the price or prove me wrong, this clearly hasnt been done; however you frame it, dont feel free to insult me. I may rattle off messages and 'big words' but that is my dialect and how I speak and shouldnt be inferred as anything else.

So recognizing the obvious is up to each of us, and the answers are clear. As for the arrogance and ****ty attitudes, well - I dont see it from DaveP or KidWoo who I have bumped heads with in the past, but have never descended to insult, not even via PM; if you really think I'm an ass, the mature thing would be to ignore me. Frogive me for trying to get people to do more than make claims.

So message received; I will not trod on the toes of your collective dare I be the recipient of such awfully painful derision.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
So message received; I will not trod on the toes of your collective dare I be the recipient of such awfully painful derision.
It's too bad you can't take responsibility for yourself without yet another back-handed, passive-aggressive comment.

yeah, because being told you are acting like a jack-ass and being called an idiot really cuts deep; maybe even 3rd grade deep. Ouch! For such an overly sensitive guy you certainly don't hesitate hurl invectives at everyone else.

judging from past examples i know it will be hard, but I dare you not to get the last word.

over-and-out

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
I'm usually civil and just let it roll but its getting a bit stupid. Here's a rhetorical question for you.

If all of your posts were deleted, or you never posted on Ridemonkey, would anything be lost?

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
I'm usually civil and just let it roll but its getting a bit stupid. Here's a rhetorical question for you.

If all of your posts were deleted, or you never posted on Ridemonkey, would anything be lost?
Is this ping pong we're playing? Another insult lobbed? Should I return it? Not necessary.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
yeah, because being told you are acting like a jack-ass and being called an idiot really cuts deep; maybe even 3rd grade deep. Ouch! For such an overly sensitive guy you certainly don't hesitate hurl invectives at everyone else.

judging from past examples i know it will be hard, but I dare you not to get the last word.

over-and-out
I asked you to substantiate, you came up with 22g, what sensitive, You're the one(s) who got sensitive and felt the need to lash out.

Does the term hypocrite ring a bell with you? hmm...

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Seriously, you're being the very 'fanboy' you've derided in past posts which are usually pretty useful.
Nope, I stated a number of facts as I always do - they're lighter and lower than the competition (a combination that up until now has been hard to find) and I think that justifies the price tag.

You've now been given specifics and figures to back up what I said, and continue to dig your hole. By all means though, keep going - it's very entertaining. :)

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Anyone know when Easton plans to come to the party with a Lo-Rise bar in a decent width?

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
Anyone know when Easton plans to come to the party with a Lo-Rise bar in a decent width?
It will be before Chris King finally introduces his isis bottom bracket.;)

Someone is certainly digging themself into a really deep hole. I won't comment since a few guys have said all that I had to say, with Huck Banzai not being one of them.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
It will be before Chris King finally introduces his isis bottom bracket.;)

Someone is certainly digging themself into a really deep hole. I won't comment since a few guys have said all that I had to say, with Huck Banzai not being one of them.
come on, leave the guy alone. there's no need to pile on hours after the fact.

DIRTWRKS

Monkey
Aug 13, 2003
Canada EH !
no sh1t. how are they completely oblivious to current trends?

Actually the Easton Havoc bar is 711mm in length and weighs 290 grams, but it is only available in a mid-rise. However when I set it next to an EA70 low rise bar the actual difference in extra height was minimal.

seth505

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
CA
um dude, buy new bars? that are wider from the factory? They are priced similar and not all that rare

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
So while the CF bars may indeed be lighter and have better damping properties (there is really no argument in either case),
Easton published a white paper of sorts a while ago that essentially said "material is secondary to design" as far as damping in bicycle stuff is concerned--it might have been frames specifically they were looking at, thought I don't remember. Anyways, "CF is inherently super damping" has been sold very well, but it's not necessarily true. It may allow designs that have better damping properties than Al (so it has greater potential)...but the execution--shape, how thick where, what kind of bends--really matters on a larger order of magnitude.