Quantcast

Renting a bike to ride Lynn Woods?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I tried a search and nothing came up. I'm also posting here because of higher traffic.

I'll be vacationning in Gloucester with the fam in a couple of weeks, and I'd like to give riding in Lynn Woods a try. I don't think I'll be able to bring my own bike, so I'm wondering if there's anyone in the area that rents decent bikes. Any monkey's know? Is it even worth it?

thanks y'all...

Commencal-guy

Monkey
Nov 25, 2007
Massachusetts, US of A
I'm an employee at JRA Cycles. We should have something we can work out for you.

Lynn woods is a good place to ride, however i'd recommend riding with people who are familiar with the trails. Why not try Highland Mountain? its only an hour drive from Boston.

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Lynn Woods needs a guide, I rode there once while passing through a few years back and could tell I wasn't hitting the good stuff or going in the fun direction on some of the trails.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I'm an employee at JRA Cycles. We should have something we can work out for you.

Lynn woods is a good place to ride, however i'd recommend riding with people who are familiar with the trails. Why not try Highland Mountain? its only an hour drive from Boston.
Hwang comes through! How long have you been at JRA? That's where I met Wade Simmons 6-7 years ago (then coincidentally rode Lynn with him) :cupidarrow:

Slyfink - when you're in the area and want a guide for Lynn or any other place let me know. Depending on how long you're around, there's a bunch of places I'd highly recommend, Lynn being one of them. A few awesome places up in the Gloucester/Beverly/Ipswich area I would also recommend (and closer to you).

Also, if renting a bike for whatever reason doesn't pan out, I'd have no problem letting you borrow a bike (I'm 6')

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Jeez, I had no idea the monkey community was this generous...:cupidarrow:

those trails in Gloucester look amazing. It might even warrant bringing my own bike if I can ride them several times while I'm out there... you think a 2005 Enduro would suffice, or would my Demo 8 be better? Seems like everyone in the pics is pretty padded up...

I'm heading to the coast for a week with my son and wife, and her brother's family. Four kids and four adults. It'll be my first family trip with all the kiddies. I don't really know what to expect, but I'm hoping for a few hours here and there to get out and ride.

btw, JRA looks like an pretty cool shop, I'll definitely swing by to have a look when I'm down there.

thanks everybody!

Commencal-guy

Monkey
Nov 25, 2007
Massachusetts, US of A
Hwang comes through! How long have you been at JRA? That's where I met Wade Simmons 6-7 years ago (then coincidentally rode Lynn with him) :cupidarrow:

Slyfink - when you're in the area and want a guide for Lynn or any other place let me know. Depending on how long you're around, there's a bunch of places I'd highly recommend, Lynn being one of them. A few awesome places up in the Gloucester/Beverly/Ipswich area I would also recommend (and closer to you).

Also, if renting a bike for whatever reason doesn't pan out, I'd have no problem letting you borrow a bike (I'm 6')
I've been about and around the shop, but this year I really started to settle since I needed to shine up my bikes with new accessories. :thumb:

We should ride soon!

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006

you guys have any of these to rent?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Hey guys,

I think I'm going to try and bring my own bike. I'm heading out on Friday and should arrive on Saturday evening. (I'm really apprehensive of an 8 hour drive with a 10 month old strapped in the back of the car, but I'm sure I'll make it somehow)

If anyone has the time, and the inclination to show me around the trails in Gloucester and/or Lynn Woods, let me know. I'll have a case or two of beer with me!

thanks a heap,

Sly

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Hey Woodsguy,

I rode the "Bruce and Tom's" trail yesterday... phenomenal. thanks a ton for posting the link. I'm on my Enduro, with an xc lid, clips and no armour so I didn't hit some of the gnarlier lines, but whooooo-ey is there ever some awesome isht in there! I ran into a dad and son combo riding around in there too, and they looked like there were going to line up the drop-drop-booter-step-up-gap combo. such a wicked line. I think that line will haunt me until I return with proper attire (and maybe someone to train into it! yeah I'm a pvssy that way; don't like to guinea-pig lines!)

Anyways, the dad & son told me about a trail called dogtown closer to gloucester. said to go into seaside cycles to ask about it. I think i'll give that a go...

thanks again for those GPS tracks... pure awesomeness.

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
Cool, I'm glad you had a good time. One thing to note tho is technically the Bruce and Tom's stuff is on private land and they like to know who is in there. Most of it is on the Tompson Reservation tho.

I didn't have much luck in Dogtown or I would have mentioned it. But I was by myself so I must have missed the good stuff. Maybe I will search the Garmin site and follow one of their tracks.