Quantcast

replace or forget about it

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Brand new tire with maybe 20 trail miles. Replace or forget about and ride it.

edit new pics

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Forget about it. Shouldn't be an issue unless the tube is really sticking out of it. I had a Comp 32 with a hole in the tread (literally just a hole; I could touch the tube) and it worked fine. Nice title, by the way.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
unless the tube is bulging out i'd forget about it. maybe stick a dollar bill inside the casing if you're worried.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I wouldn't replace it, just get something to put on the inside of the tire (piece of old tube or something) and glue it in there. I dunno but at what tires cost unless it was a sidewall tear that is not a big deal. Again, a piece of a thick DH tube over the slit on the inside should work fine. Hell you could double up on it if you are paranoid.

After maxxis said no more SRY for Kanter he had to switch to Kenda :)

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
my slalomn bike has the tube sticking out of the sidewall in 2 places i just trimmed up a milkjug and taped it inside..

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Had a similar cut on my road tires. Dflate, super glue a piece of Velox rim strip to the inside of the cut, then super glue a larger piece of tube over that. On the outside you can use super glue to hold the cut together.

Put 300+ miles on the tire that has this fix at 120psi. No problems so far *knocks on wood*

The Ito

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
ito said:
Had a similar cut on my road tires. Dflate, super glue a piece of Velox rim strip to the inside of the cut, then super glue a larger piece of tube over that. On the outside you can use super glue to hold the cut together.

Put 300+ miles on the tire that has this fix at 120psi. No problems so far *knocks on wood*

The Ito
i hope thats a rear tire :)

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Hell that doesn't look that bad at all.

I probably wouldn't even notice it......until the tube pushed through and exploded. :D

Seriously, I wouldn't worry about it....lord konws you have spare tires lying around....just keep using the tire.

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
Transcend said:
Ever notice how impossible it is to open a power bar?
Nope. They are actually one of the easier bars to open in my opinion.

That tire should be good for a long time...

gonzostrike

Monkey
May 21, 2002
Montana
Kanter said:
I sold all my spares.....
yo Kanter,

have you tried Nevegal Stick-E DH 2.5 or 2.7 yet? I can't find a better tire for your and my conditions. I was at Silver Mt last Thurs and they amazed the crap out of me with their excellent traction in every situation. I'm running 2.5 rear and 2.7 front.

just in case you decide to pitch the knob-loser and get some new skins. ;)

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I run a Nevegal Stick-E DH wire 2.3 rear and the Bluegroove Stick-E DH wire 2.3 front as my trail/FR tires in CK hubs and 321 Dee Maxx rims.

Then Maxxis SRY Minion DHR 2.5 and DHF 2.7 as my shuttle/resort tires. These are on a set of Outlaws

Percy

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Christchurch NZ
Transcend said:
Just stick a piece of duct tape on the inside fo the tire, or an old power bar wrapper.

Ever notice how impossible it is to open a power bar?
Duct tape works mint, if you are really worried, use 2 layers crossed at 90deg.
I repared a Gazza Jnr with it and its still fine, I also use it as rim tape on my MXer! :rolleyes:

bagtagley

Monkey
Jun 18, 2002
VA
I repaired a 1/2" gash in the sidewall of my Highroller with the pocket of a hospital scrub shirt (it was all I had handy). I've been riding on it for months w/ no problems.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Jeez if I replaced a tire every time I did that I'd have to build an underground railroad to the maxxis plant.

Hell I've got tubeless tires on my xc bike that have about 6 of those in them.

Duct tape.

Ride.

Something worth noting....... I've definitely torn more tires that have spaced out knobs like that blue groove. I've got a set of panaracer FRs (which are really thin) setup tubeless on my norco that have yet to tear. I think this is because of all the closely spaced knobs that don't let sharp rocks in very easily. If it's constant problem where you live, maybe something like a nevegal would be a litte more resistant.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Im ordering a Nevegal for the front. Anyone want a brand new Blue groove with a slight tear for shipping plus $5? Since they are my trail tires I dont want to have something happend 10-15 miles back in. We are planning a 25 mile XC ride next month.