Quantcast

Replacing Bearings in Ringle Abbah Rear Hub

j-posch

Monkey
Jun 25, 2007
Trying to change bearings in my sun ringle abbah 12mm axle hub. Struggling to press bearings out, anyone know a step by step guide? searched google, nothing!

MaD666MaX

Monkey
Jul 24, 2004
Montreal
pretty easy, remove freehub, remove snap ring on disc side, push the bearing by hitting the axle on drive side so one bearing come out by disc side and and repeat for drive side. remove snap ring from freehub and push bearings with axle. i think you will figure how to place them back

j-posch

Monkey
Jun 25, 2007
I have bought four bearings, two different sizes. Do both bearings come out with this technique, do they just sit next to each other? Thanks

SKYWAYBUZZ

Monkey
Mar 16, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA.
To remove the axle and the bearings from a Ringle Lawill hub all you have to do is remove the freehub by undoing the cone nut. You will have to find something to hold the axle, on the disc side of the hub there is a loose spacer, this covers the bearing. In the centre of the bearing you should see the end of the sub axle. this axle has a couple of slots cut into it, find or make something to fit into these slots to hold the axle. Once the cone nut is off, pull the freehub off the sub axle. To remove the axle and bearings you will need to remove the circlip from the disc side. Once you have done this replace the cone nut on the freehub side of the axle to protect the threads, support the disc side of the hub and gently drift the axle and bearing out by tapping the cone nut with a plastic hammer, be VERY careful so as not to damage the nut/axle. When the axle and bearing are out you should be able to remove the bearing from the axle. Once the bearing is off you can drift the freehub side bearing out by again using the axle and a plastic hammer, because there is no cone nut on this side it is best to protect the end of the axle, a socket over the end will work. When replacing the bearing without the correct drifts find a socket or piece of pipe that is the same diameter as the outer race of the bearing and use this to drift the bearing in. If you attempt to hammer/drift bearing on inner metal race, bearing will be stressed or broken. if you don't have the proper diameter drift you can try tap the bearing in using a old seat post with square edge to tap around bearing circumference. use some grease to help install new grease and don't start the bearing in crooked, it will never go in crooked.start the bearing in straight with a block of wood and hammer, then when down flush with hub you have to use the seatpost or pvc pipe. my oldstyle seatpost doesn't have a head clamps attached, and is thick walled at bottom. most seat posts thses days are very thin walled metal so be careful it doesn't slip off outer bearing. I sometimes use it to hammer/ punch out old bearings as well. I have never replaced the freehub bearings #6902 just the hub body ones #6802.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2003
If you got 4 bearings I think you must have 2 for the hub and 2 for the freehub body. Which is fine because you should replace the freehub bearings while you are at it.