Quantcast

Replacing pads and rotors together?

newyork1

Chimp
Feb 14, 2010
I just swapped out an old Hayes rotor for a new Saint one, and even with proper bedding in there's very little power. Should I replace the pads when switching to a new rotor, since the old pads might have conformed to the shape/depth of the old rotor? I notice now that the Shimano has a shallower braking surface than the Hayes. Thanks in advance.

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
what you are talking about is the 'braking track' - the usable area of the rotor that comes into contact with the brake pads

switching between different systems can cause problems, as the braking track may be too narrow or too wide, resulting in less than optimum relationship between rotor and pads, affecting braking performance

running wide pads on a narrow track means a groove is worn into the brake pads on the top and bottom surfaces, and brake performance can be somewhat dubious?

something else to consider is that brake pads leave a layer of brake pad material on the rotor's braking track over time, and this can have a detrimental effect on braking performance

new rotors and pads are worth considering if switching brake systems

newyork1

Chimp
Feb 14, 2010
what you are talking about is the 'braking track' - the usable area of the rotor that comes into contact with the brake pads

switching between different systems can cause problems, as the braking track may be too narrow or too wide, resulting in less than optimum relationship between rotor and pads, affecting braking performance

running wide pads on a narrow track means a groove is worn into the brake pads on the top and bottom surfaces, and brake performance can be somewhat dubious?

something else to consider is that brake pads leave a layer of brake pad material on the rotor's braking track over time, and this can have a detrimental effect on braking performance

new rotors and pads are worth considering if switching brake systems
Thanks for the comprehensive explanation, that was very helpful. Does anyone think Saint rotors (being narrow) offer less power or would fresh pads solve the problem?

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I don't think I've ever had rotors that matched my calipers. I've used rotors for 4-5 years without them wearing out.

I've been riding old saints with old ass Hayes rotors. Now I think my rear rotor is an Avid.

Totally subjective I know, but chances are, the rotors aren't the problem.