Quantcast

Results for the "Shred the Shed" Race

DHbarbiedoll

Chimp
Aug 5, 2004
Hey Everybody! Just wanted to say Thanks for making it to the race. It was so much fun... besides the few injuries (sorry Mike)
Anyways, here are the results

Slow Class:
1st Place- Aaron Johnson 3:41
2nd Place- James Dollar 3:50
3rd Place- Matt McHale 3:57
4th Place- Will Hale 4:11
5th Place- Peter Anderson 4:24
6th Place- Mark Dickerson 4:29
7th Place- Ed King 5:02
8th Place- Bill Minor 5:58
9th Place- Kirstin Nickerson

Fast Class:
1st Place- Jason Beckley 3:19
2nd Place- Erik Charles 3:22
3rd Place- Brian Price 3:25
4th Place- Dan Raines 3:27
5th Place- Ben Zimmerman 3:40
6th Place- Scott Kennedy 4:03
7th Place- Zack Casper 4:07
8th Place- Dylan Judy- DNF

Special thanks to all who helped out and made this race such a success.
Note: Next time watch out for the yellow jacket's nest. :D

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
DHbarbiedoll said:
Hey Everybody! Just wanted to say Thanks for making it to the race. It was so much fun... besides the few injuries (sorry Mike)
Anyways, here are the results

4th Place- Will Hale 4:11
damn sandbaggers keeping me from placing higher :eviltongu ;) i had a great time at my virgin DH race! too bad we got screwed on the camping thing.

many thanks to the organizers, riders, spectators, time keepers, etc...

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Good job on the race and especially on the cleanup afterwards. After I finished up my six pack of Paulaner Salvator at the end of the race, I went back up to the top where everyone had gathered and there was not a trace of the race even having been run. It gave me a moment's pause as to whether I had imagined the whole thing. :think:

Animal Mother

Monkey
Nov 26, 2003
Northern VA
llkoolkeg said:
Good job on the race and especially on the cleanup afterwards. After I finished up my six pack of Paulaner Salvator at the end of the race, I went back up to the top where everyone had gathered and there was not a trace of the race even having been run. It gave me a moment's pause as to whether I had imagined the whole thing. :think:
that's the idea. leave it better than it was when you arrived. i make a point to pick up my trash and that of others everytime i go to the Shed. i would recommend that everyone practice this if you enjoy riding there...

as for the race... it turned out great! 19 racers, lots of very excellent talent, some smoking runs on E, couple of nasty crashes, some cervasa drinking, and burger grilling.

thanks to all who helped out! couldn't have done it without you!

see you all next year! (i'm thinking of a Spring and Fall race) two is better than one.., right?!?!?

-b

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
Animal Mother said:
see you all next year! (i'm thinking of a Spring and Fall race) two is better than one.., right?!?!?
next year!? fall is right around the corner :D

i lost a pair of sixsixone elbow pads on E if anyone happened to pick them up. i was hanging out with birdwang at the gap (checking out the carnage) and i think i dropped them on my way back up pushing the bike... so they are probably somewhere between the old entrance and the gap.

i'm assuming they are as good as gone... but ya' never know!

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
After the race, I went back up top and like I said, every trace had vanished. I bet only the yellow tape remains on the trail and that is a good thing. I was going to see if anyone wanted to do some post-race shuttles, but the whole scene had vanished like a mirage. I ended up mooching a couple shuttles with two of the local folks who ride with Dave up there, so all was well. Maybe I'll actually race next time...perhaps if I suck less then and my ankle is but one shade of purple. At least I have the partying part down, though. Sadly, my plans to see the show and hang w/Monster Magnet at Jaxx afterwards were dashed with the breakup of the band in NY/NJ Friday night. THe show was cancelled and now my favorite band is no more...

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
How was the distinction made between fast and slow class? I just ask b/c I know that Aaron and Matt aren't exactly slow. Glad to hear it went off well!

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
no different than sport/expert are run anywhere else (save for NORBA license holders)... sign up for whatever you feel your ability warrants. FWIW, the fastest "slow" time would have put him in 6th/8 in the "fast" class on virtually the same course, so I don't think he was shoveling much sand...

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Matt D said:
How was the distinction made between fast and slow class? I just ask b/c I know that Aaron and Matt aren't exactly slow. Glad to hear it went off well!
I thought the distinction between classes was made well based on each perceived riding ability. I thought it pretty much became a 'those who hit the double' and 'those who didn't' type of category difference. Though, from what I hear, Aaron didn't hit it and still beat a couple guys in 'slow' that did. Nice job again, Aaron.

I had a blast and would do it again anyday. Nice job, all.

(next time I'll work on hitting the double)

oh, and anyone putting any pictures up anywhere?

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
I'll have some pics up probably later this week; my digi is on the fritz so I gotta get the film developed/scanned...

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
i'm with you on working on the double... i've been putting it off for too long! i do know that both james (shirtless racer) and matt (gashed leg racer - mad props for picking yourself up and hitting it twice and racing) hit the double during the race.

i think aaron was sandbagging it... sandbagging as in wearing a 100 pound bag o' sand on his back to make him heavier to go faster downhill ;). that guy flowed and sped through the trail like crazy and must have only weighed about 120 lbs. sweet riding!

i did take pictures of all the fast guys coming through with big mike's camera on the rock garden section... i hope they turned out ok (wasn't too sure how to use it).

peter6061 said:
I thought the distinction between classes was made well based on each perceived riding ability. I thought it pretty much became a 'those who hit the double' and 'those who didn't' type of category difference. Though, from what I hear, Aaron didn't hit it and still beat a couple guys in 'slow' that did. Nice job again, Aaron.

I had a blast and would do it again anyday. Nice job, all.

(next time I'll work on hitting the double)

oh, and anyone putting any pictures up anywhere?

E.C.

Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
South Central Pa.
Big ups to everyone involved with putting the race together, Great job!
loads of spectaters at a non sanctioned (bootleg) event ,how cool is that.
I followed up that awsome day with a day at diablo freeride park on sun.The new domonion jump trail is of the hook ,Dan,Ben,Mark,Zach, all you guys that were at the U.S Open you have to get back up there and check it out.I may go this sat. as it will be my last weeknd of riding for a month or so. If anyone wants to go ,get at me.
Mike I hope your hand heals quickly. do you know if it's broken yet? Later E.C.

goofy

Monkey
Mar 20, 2004
olney md.
I'm just getting better from the bee stings. elbows and leg are still swollen but the finger is back to normal size. all the stings still itch thought

I think I should have went to the doctors (oh well)

jmoney

Chimp
Aug 27, 2004
We all had a blast, love a good ride. Much thanks from the Winchester crew.

from jamie (shirtless guy)

DHbarbiedoll

Chimp
Aug 5, 2004
whale said:
damn sandbaggers keeping me from placing higher :eviltongu ;) i had a great time at my virgin DH race! too bad we got screwed on the camping thing.

many thanks to the organizers, riders, spectators, time keepers, etc...
Maybe it's time for you to step up to the plate then. First DH race... then see you at Snowshoe for your second????

el_gordo

Chimp
Jun 13, 2004
DC (Da Capital)
Many thanks to all and especially the race promoters for making my first trip to the Shed very cool. Next stop - Snowshoe!!! (Was that haiku?!? Or maybe Dr Sue?!?) Although I'm going to try and finish my next race without having to carry my fri**ing bike the last 30 yards :blah:

The wife got video of most of the riders at the double (she missed the first fast rider) -- I am going to try and post the clips this weekend.
Does anyone know if there is someplace on RideMonkey I can do this??? It will be mulitple Quicktime clips, not huge files, but probably around 2-3Mb each.
Thanks -

Paris

Monkey
Aug 24, 2004
The Commonwealth
how did everyone get screwed out of the "camping thing"?

I didn't know they let you camp at the "shed"...

run a bike race, grill out, and drink beers, now that's nothing new...

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
Paris said:
how did everyone get screwed out of the "camping thing"?

I didn't know they let you camp at the "shed"...

run a bike race, grill out, and drink beers, now that's nothing new...
You are technically not supposed to camp in the 'shed, but I have seen it done many times and there are many backwoods fire pits that attest to that fact. Basically, the people who get busted are the lazy ones who park a vehicle right near where they are camping so that any passing officer can hear the frivolity from a rolled-down cruiser window and see that the campfire is but a short walk off. If, however, a car is parked at a place where the Catoctin Trail(blue blaze) crosses the road and the campers backpack(posssibly on bikes) up the trail a decent ways, how is a cop possibly going to know which direction to look in and how enticing a proposition is it to walk up those rocky, spiderwebbed trails with a flashlight in cop shoes?

kirstin

Monkey
Mar 24, 2004
DC
BigMike said:
I've got 100mb of pics and no where to post them all

Anyone have some free webspace? I only have 25 megs.....
if you haven't found webspace yet, i can lend you some... not sure how you'll get the files to me, perhaps on a CD?

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
BigMike said:
I've got 100mb of pics and no where to post them all

Anyone have some free webspace? I only have 25 megs.....
hey assbag, what the hell are you doing with 100mb of pics?? How about you reduce them to about ~75k each (700x450) and post 'em up so those of us without cable modems can actually see 'em?? ;)

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
Hey Mike, maybe you and my g/f should have a little chit-chat since you're both teh suck at taking pictures... here's the best of 2 rolls of film...:D

Goofy -- going this fast it's a wonder he didn't win...

Whale -- horrible pic, stay off those brakes! :nope:

Kirstin

Peter6061

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
DßR said:
Whale -- horrible pic, stay off those brakes! :nope:
HEY, i was just feathering the brakes to get me ready for the manual i pulled down the rest of run :sneaky: (where is the icon that represents full of sh*t?)

at least the picture made me look like i was wearing a ninja mask... :D

el_gordo

Chimp
Jun 13, 2004
DC (Da Capital)
E.C. said:
Gap jump pic's? video ? Anyone?
Ask, and yee shall receive. Sorry it took so long, but I had to take a little trip to Snowshoe last weekend :thumb:
Anyways, follow the yellow brick road:
http://homepage.mac.com/gtslaton/Public_Files/FileSharing9.html

Big and small files (for the bandwidth challenged :D ). Unfortunately, the vidoegrapher (wife) missed the very first fast rider and did some funky artistic close-up work with one of the slow riders. If you want a full size DV clip of specific racer, let me know and I can post it for download.

E.C.

Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
South Central Pa.
NICE. Thanks Bro .
DBR was goin so fast ,the camera could'nt getem.He must have stoped after the rock garden to swap out a rear hub or someting.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Well, I have 100 megs of pics, because I am a lazy assbag, that doesnt want to go through them all and downsize them. Plus, I'm designing a show which opens soon, and with the new girl..... I dont have any time. AT ALL!

Ya'll should have noticed the lack of posts from me lately. Sorry, once this show opens, I'll be back to the regular annoying BigMike you have all grown to love but mostly hate :)

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
And I Happen to be a very good photogropher Dan, I didnt have my camera for this race, if you'll remember, my hand was freshly broken!

Plus, I'm still getting used to this camera...... I miss my AE1