Quantcast

Rethinking Amazon...

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
We have already proven that Amerikans won't take hard jobs with low wages so either this story must be a fabrication or all those workers are illegals.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
It's pretty fvcking depressing when I realize that almost everything I touch was made or shipped by the equivalent of feudal-era laborers.

Do not like...

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Wow... Just wow. The controlling nature - breaks only in the break room - and refusal to hire anyone full-time is exploitation. Sorry, that's sweatshop labor. Although I am against unions, this is a prime example of where a union can and should be applied.
Working at the DMV or driving a bus, no. This, yes.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Wow... Just wow. The controlling nature - breaks only in the break room - and refusal to hire anyone full-time is exploitation. Sorry, that's sweatshop labor. Although I am against unions, this is a prime example of where a union can and should be applied.
Working at the DMV or driving a bus, no. This, yes.
I'm surprised they don't make cutting out your tongue a condition of temporary employment, honestly.

The whole vow of silence thing really helps prevent organization...

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
and another thing...
article said:
Susie called him and fired him for "excessive" breaks, though she pointed out to me that she didn't actually have to give him a reason
someone should remind the guy who got sacked right-to-work goes both ways.

he should walk away from his next gig to see how they like it. he could very likely start the next workers' revolution (to take off just as soon as we get unemployment down to 3%)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Good thing we refuse to inundate those heartfelt air-conditioned managers with tax increases, they are stimulating our economy!

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
inbox just now:
spamazon said:
Hi,

You may or may not be looking for a job right now, but based on your experience, I’m guessing the opportunity to work on a product used by 10s of millions of people is intriguing to you.

The Amazon Kindle team will be in Cheyenne, Wyoming on April 29th - May 1st to interview candidates to join our team and I am reaching out to you because your background looks like a fit. Due to tax reasons, we are unable to physically recruit in Colorado. However, we know there is top talent located in the area, so we are looking for people in Colorado to travel to Cheyenne to interview.

These positions would be located in Seattle, Washington and require relocating to the area. If you are interested in attending the event, please email me your resume at jodi@amazon.com. That way I can add you into our system and present your resume to the team. I'd also like to set up time to speak with you about the event and what to expect.

The original goal for Kindle was to allow anyone to buy any book ever printed and have it delivered wirelessly anywhere in the world in 60 seconds. With the launch of our new Kindle Fire devices, we are looking to think even bigger. We’re interested in talking to you about joining us for the ride. I hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks,

Jodi

Jodi Palmer | Sourcing Recruiter, Kindle | Amazon
E: jodi@amazon.com O: 206.765.3276 C: 425.358.0331

We are hiring! Click here for Kindle career opportunities.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i wonder what the conditions are like at the chainlove warehouse?

beer/weed/coffee/smug 24/7....

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
You ever notice the state on the mailing address from that place?

More like

decaffeinated tea/sugar free gum/straighten magic underwear/humility in the eyes of the lord 24/7
sounds like in-n-out....

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I’ve been boycotting Amazon for years now. I don’t need all that knock off crap and higher prices. I struggle to even say this but I use Walmart.com when I have too. Though refuse to go in person.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I’ve been boycotting Amazon for years now. I don’t need all that knock off crap and higher prices. I struggle to even say this but I use Walmart.com when I have too. Though refuse to go in person.
The whole amazon thing sucks.
For a good portion of goods, there is no longer a bricks and mortar retailer anywhere in the area that can supply certain items other than walmart. Unfortunately, walmart's quality and or selection sucks, let alone they themselves. Walmart online in Canada is a total joke. Last night was looking for a snow shovel. Walmart online carries it at 3x the street price. (Home de Pot, which is another real winner of a retailer - however they were sold out both in store and online.) Have noticed this with just about everything I have looked up with Walmart online up here in Canuckistan.

What really sucks is being a consumer who eschewed Amazon for local brick and mortar. Now that they are gone, I end up in the land of counterfeits where I tried so hard not to go.

Fuckers.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Back when it was books and cd's I concluded that Amazon was pretty fucking stupid. I bought a Soma Wolverine frame off Amazon 7 years ago because it was the only place on the internet I could find it.

Beyond that, I do no amazoning. I will just go on ebay and find what I am looking for.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
While I wish I could not support amazon, the fact that I can get exactly what I need absolutely blows my mind sometimes. Like my son's special body lotion was out of stock at every local pharamacy. Not on Amazon. Want some wet shaving supplies? No place in this state has them, but I can get whatever I need from shamazon.

I still shop locally when I can, but fuck that noise- I can buy what I want instead of what CVS will let me buy. I hope CVS dies in a smoky mypillow hatefire.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
All my karting stuff are dedicated stores. Kinda has a good feeling, despite being soul crushingly more expensive.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
So, I wanted to give my money to someone else for a change, a local Best Buy. That was a big mistake... FTS, back on the Amazon train.