Quantcast

Retiring Imperial, frame help needed

triumphbc

Chimp
Oct 9, 2003
Arlington, VA
So after 3 years of riding my Evil Imperial, I've decided it's time for a new frame and was hoping I could get some advice/suggestions from those with hands-on experience with the frames I'm considering. I also have a USB Molly Maguire which has become my street/park/jump bike, so I'm looking for something to handle singletrack and rough trail duties (including uphills and steep descents) and some jumping. I run singlespeed though I'd like the option for gears, and have a Fox Talas (80-130mm) fork which I usually run in the 80-90mm range.

What I like about the Imperial: Solid construction (maybe too much so), great descender/jumper, versatility.
What I don't like: Weight, Seat post extension for pedaling

DMR Trailstar2: good price, steel, ?pedaling geometry?

Evil Sovereign: steel, not much weight improvement, expensive, trusted brand, ?pedaling geometry?

Sinister Ridge: good weight ~5lbs, expensive, prefer steel, ?pedaling?

So, any comments or other frame suggestions are greatly appreciated. Including if you think it's senseless to switch from an Imperial to one of these frames for my purposes. Thanks!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I went from an Imperial to a Sovereign and found that the Sovereign had everything I liked about the Imperial, but in a more trail oriented geometry.

Plus, let's face it, Reynolds 853 = BLING.

triumphbc

Chimp
Oct 9, 2003
Arlington, VA
That's really good to hear from another Evil owner who came to the same conclusion and made the switch. I really like the tubing and dropouts on that frame. My XC buddies are dogging me on the trails, but I still like to slalom and jump. Can you tell me more about the perceptible differences seeing as that frame is really gonna cost me.

mandown: What's the 456 weight? I couldn't find it on their site, and do you know where to actually buy one? Thanks for the suggestion.

mdc

Monkey
Jul 8, 2006
Uxbridge
I've been riding my Ridge for the past few months and love it. I built it up as a longish travel SS for trail riding and it feels awsome. Even with the slack angles it seems to handle much quicker than my full suspension bike (Heckler). If I didn't get the Ridge I probably would have looked into the 456 or the Sovereign ( i love Evils dropouts...)

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Feels quicker instead of more stable and lazy like the Imperial, which I attribute to the steeper head angle. Seated pedaling is actually easy and enjoyable, unlike with the Imperial.

Plus, you gotta love the dropouts :)

It's not quantifiable and I've not ridden enough of a gamut of hardtails to judge but I also feel like I get jackhammered less riding the Sovereign. Just feels a little smoother to ride.

Not that I've ridden it much in several months :(

triumphbc

Chimp
Oct 9, 2003
Arlington, VA
"Seated pedaling is actually easy and enjoyable" This is really the one fact I need to be sure of. I really want to want this bike and get myself another Evil. Thanks for the recommendations.

triumphbc

Chimp
Oct 9, 2003
Arlington, VA
Thanks mandown. I'm torn now, the price of the 456 is really attractive :) It's not as multipurpose as I was intending, but for the price seems like it may be worth a try. As I said, I don't really "need" another jumping frame so that feature of the more expensive Sovereign may go unused for the most part. I do like this frame much better as a low cost alternative, better than the Trailstar. Also, from my limited frame geometry expertise, it does seem like it would pedal better than the Sovereign from a traditional standpoint. ...it's unfortunate it only comes in that weird blue

Mar 4, 2003
Somewhere in Alabama
I just went from an Imp to a Sovereign, and I gotta say, with a 410mm post, the pedaling is exponentially better. I use this bike almost entirely for trail riding with the seatpost jacked up. You can easily build it up to a decent weight (mine is 30 pounds). I'd recommend the Sovereign if you liked the Imperial.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
ok, did i miss it or did someone say the DOC yet? all this talk about the Sovereign, but none on the DOC? they are the same bike, right? one just has "fancy steel" and costs more.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
ok, did i miss it or did someone say the DOC yet? all this talk about the Sovereign, but none on the DOC? they are the same bike, right? one just has "fancy steel" and costs more.
Well, except for, you know, two degrees of headtube angle, two degrees of seattube angle, 3/4" of bottom bracket height, 3/4" of chainstay adjustment... you know, little things ;)

The Sovereign is 2 degrees steeper on both headtube and seattube angle, has about 3/4" lower bottom bracket and chainstays can be adjusted up to 3/4" longer.

triumphbc

Chimp
Oct 9, 2003
Arlington, VA
Thanks everyone for your input. I just ordered a new On One 456. Another Evil is just too much for me to spend right now, and I don't feel the need to Ebay my old frame. I also noticed that the geometry on the Sinister Ridge and On One 456 are almost completely identical (the Sinister ST being just .5" shorter) I've ridden a friend's Ridge and liked it, but decided on the On One for the steel and cost. I can't wait for everything to get here, thanks everyone for the info.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
let me know how it works out. i am still considering buying that frame. where did you order it from and what size did you get (how tall are you)?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
i personally LOVE the soviergn for anything...it is the most versatile bike i have ever ridden, i have ridden dj trails on it, and raced it hardcore xc....I dont know what else you could want.

Go with it.

Shortbus

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
Stuck in the 80s
knowing they are hard to come by:plthumbsdown: , but I'd totally recomment the Imperial SL if you can find one used. Everything Imperial minus the slack seat post. I came to my Imperial SL after selling my first gen Imperial and absolutely love it. I ride mine everything from XC, through urban to light DH, its a blast.

the sovereigns do looks awesome too. I wish I could contribute something a little more useful to this thread (sigh)

triumphbc

Chimp
Oct 9, 2003
Arlington, VA
So I finally got the 456 built and went for it's inaugural ride today at Fountainhead. I'm SO glad I got this bike. I loved the Evil, but I just had so much fun riding trails today. I did have to file my derailleur dropout some to get the rear wheel to fit, which was a bit irritating, but it's fine now. Thanks again for the advice, I'm really happy about it.

Shortbus

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
Stuck in the 80s
that bike looks sweeet:busted:
I can swear I saw that same frame sitting at my local LBS in Ashburn a couple days ago :D

Mebbe next time you head to fountainhead and don't mind a slow rider I'll join ya.