Quantcast

Retread truck tires

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
I was pissed a few weeks ago when a rock slashed the sidewall of my tire. I did not want to have to replace one of my tires that are temporary until I lift my Jeep more.

I have been reading about retreaded tires in sizes for trucks and SUVs. I figured this would be a good time to try one so I ordered one Monday. It was $98 shipped to my door It arrived Thursday. That is a great deal for a 33x12.50. To replace the tire I had was $240.

Once I see how this tire works I might consider these tires for my truck in the future. So far I am impressed with it.

Here is the companies website www.treadwright.com

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I know with big rigs, you never put retreads on drive wheels, only trailers (or that's what I was told). It looks like they are only about $30 a tire cheaper too.

Not sure I would risk them separating to save $30 a tire. But that's just me (33-12.5/15).

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
The savings are not much for a single tire but when you multiply it by 4 things add up.

It was nice to see these tires have a 2year/24,000mile warranty.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
That's not a bad deal if that covers separation.

The price of my ProComps included mounting and balancing.

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
The savings will be huge when I go 37s only $150 a tire if I decide to do it. I am concerned about the lack of side knobs.

Which ProComp did you go with it must not have been one of the more aggressive treads.

dayid

Chimp
Nov 15, 2007
Central FL
The "hi-tec" retreads are great tires. I used to use some of their mud-terrains on my Samurai. They are a far cry and extremely different from semi-tire "retreads" and are done in a completely different process.

As my truck maxed out at ~45MPH it didn't see much road time (except being towed), but I never had a problem with them.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I ran these on my Chevy.

My Toyota is currently running these:

They need to be replaced soon, so I was going to go back to the MT ProComps because they work awesome and they are wicked cheap.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
I had a Kelly tire separate one time. It wasn't a retread, but it still did $1850 worth of body damage. I wouldn't risk that on a retread.

Retreads are fine, even on drivers, on a truck, if you buy good ones. Some people are good at it, others are not.

Bear in mind though, a truck has many more plies, so they get away with more than a 6 or 8 ply light truck tire.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Retreads are fine, even on drivers, on a truck, if you buy good ones. Some people are good at it, others are not.
I learned about retreads (briefly, not real in-depth) when I took my new-hire tour at Jubitz. They said they never recommend them on drive wheels. I'm a software engineer, what the hell do I know?

http://www.jubitztire.com (man, I hated that job, but they have an awesome Sunday brunch).

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
It is True, on big trucks, IE big rigs, that you are not supposed to install retreads/recaps on the drive wheels. There are a couple reason why, mostly legal though, but as far as 4x4 stuff goes, I wouldnt be too terribly against it, but I would defenetly keep a close eye on them, If the person did a good job, youll be fine, if not, youll find a seperation.