Quantcast

Retro or modern! What do you prefer?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
man you guys are harsh. I think it's a cool old bike. Not what I'd ride, but I also wouldn't ride a Demo if I had my druthers...

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
man you guys are harsh. I think it's a cool old bike. Not what I'd ride, but I also wouldn't ride a Demo if I had my druthers...
It's not like the demo is the only option. Don't make it seem like the only choice available is between black death and aids.

soft-compound

Monkey
Dec 29, 2012
If your double wide rims have no dents after 10 years that only means you could easily get away with a lightweight set.

Also going for mavic isn't going for a new TREND. Mavic rims have been on the market as long as double wides if not longer. They also have been as strong as them while being lighter for the same time. Not to mention it's not going for trends it's trying something new that 99.999% of the users confirm is better.

As for 888 and flaking off - that only happens in WC models. Do you need a WC model? I doubt it.

As for Scarab frame riding to well to sell it means you haven't ridden any reasonable bike but looking at your posts and what you want it just seems to me you are like most oldschool fans. A typical contrarian who wants something unpopular so he can feel special. Seriously if you are tempted by forks made by a company with close to no support outside of japan and spain (MSC sold their forks as their own) rather than something all the users claim is good you are just not interested in a well performing, hassle free bike. You want a special bike. Just time travel to 2003 and buy one of the Nicolai products from back then. Seriously.

Also Moto'6s? Lol and you are saying about reliability when you ride brakes that made the saying "hope it works"
WOW! I would have that nicolai in a heart beat , super monsters are just silly I had a set and swapped them spoor some Avalanche DHF 8.5.
Yeah with hope brakes they either work or they don't no inbetween.
I also like 24" wheels on dh bikes too? Was going to put them on my 2004 BB7.
So if I got reducer bushings and an angle set would that make it much better or pointless? As the headsets are about £120.00 last time I looked.

soft-compound

Monkey
Dec 29, 2012
Yeah I know what everybody is saying but , I just don't think it is right just to sell a bike because they are old or outdated.
But I'm like that , same with phones as long as it rings and answers I'm happy hence me still using Ericsson w800i , iPhones and what not don't bother me at all.
The only modernism bikes I do like are last herb dh and the super co silencer .
But again unless my bike fell to bits I don't see the point.
It is like getting rid of a car just because it is old , still mint for its age and functions very well , just because other people have shiny new.
Well unless you were talking about dodge chargers and other old muscle cars as that is different:)

soft-compound

Monkey
Dec 29, 2012
Yeah I know what everybody is saying but , I just don't think it is right just to sell a bike because they are old or outdated.
But I'm like that , same with phones as long as it rings and answers I'm happy hence me still using Ericsson w800i , iPhones and what not don't bother me at all.
It is like getting rid of a car just because it is old , still mint for its age and functions very well , just because other people have shiny new.
Well unless you were talking about dodge chargers and other old muscle cars as that is different:)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
vaporware. POOF.

sad really, that would have been an amazing bike.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
The problem is the progres in cars in the last 20 years has been a bit less noticeable than between bikes. If you want to compare bikes it's like saying why should I buy a golf GTI if my stock 60's beetle is still working.

soft-compound

Monkey
Dec 29, 2012
The problem is the progres in cars in the last 20 years has been a bit less noticeable than between bikes. If you want to compare bikes it's like saying why should I buy a golf GTI if my stock 60's beetle is still working.
Hahaaaa yeah I see:) so basically people think I should sell and buy newish or change forks and buy angle set?

soft-compound

Monkey
Dec 29, 2012
Hahaaaa yeah I see:) so basically people think I should sell and buy newish or change forks and buy angle set?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
the point is, *IF* you're going to buy something, buy something newer. there's no real reason to waste the time trying to hunt down old/retro parts when current product is far superior.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
It's not like the demo is the only option. Don't make it seem like the only choice available is between black death and aids.
and if he has a perfectly functional bike that he likes to huck off loading docks, then so what? That's all I'm saying. People are tearing him apart like he doesn't ride enough and "OMG there's no way you're hard enough unless you have carbon trimz bro". Heck, he's probably not even running DHFs.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
WOW! I would have that nicolai in a heart beat , super monsters are just silly I had a set and swapped them spoor some Avalanche DHF 8.5.
Yeah with hope brakes they either work or they don't no inbetween.
I also like 24" wheels on dh bikes too? Was going to put them on my 2004 BB7.
So if I got reducer bushings and an angle set would that make it much better or pointless? As the headsets are about £120.00 last time I looked.
hush hush, back in your time capsule now...

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
For the OP, I have a couple number 15 Magura adaptors and several 74/22 and 75/25 brake mounts (I think they might have worked on an old Boxxer) from my old Louise "brakes". While it sounds like you're looking for Gustav stuff, let me know if you want them (for frees).

soft-compound

Monkey
Dec 29, 2012
the point is, *IF* you're going to buy something, buy something newer. there's no real reason to waste the time trying to hunt down old/retro parts when current product is far superior.
Yeah I see what you mean , but that is a strange thing that happens too me.
When the time comes I think ooooh! I might try something different like shock or forks something always pops up very cheap on eBay.
Recently I got a 222mm avalanche chubie for £75.00 lovely condition as I sold the fox vanilla rc on there for the same amount as it was proving too hard to find springs for the old shock.
Now I'm having the same problem with the avalanche stuff as I thought the cane creek springs fit but turns out only romic or springs from avalanche will fit , shipping to UK is $45.00 which is expensive.

The retro stuff seems to just jump out in my face.
I was looking for seismic Hubs at one point with no look.
I just like unusual stuff , you see too many v10 and demo frames about.

soft-compound

Monkey
Dec 29, 2012
For the OP, I have a couple number 15 Magura adaptors and several 74/22 and 75/25 brake mounts (I think they might have worked on an old Boxxer) from my old Louise "brakes". While it sounds like you're looking for Gustav stuff, let me know if you want them (for frees).
Just messages to pal:)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yeah I see what you mean , but that is a strange thing that happens too me.
When the time comes I think ooooh! I might try something different like shock or forks something always pops up very cheap on eBay.
Recently I got a 222mm avalanche chubie for £75.00 lovely condition as I sold the fox vanilla rc on there for the same amount as it was proving too hard to find springs for the old shock.
Now I'm having the same problem with the avalanche stuff as I thought the cane creek springs fit but turns out only romic or springs from avalanche will fit , shipping to UK is $45.00 which is expensive.

The retro stuff seems to just jump out in my face.
I was looking for seismic Hubs at one point with no look.
I just like unusual stuff , you see too many v10 and demo frames about.
yea, when the old stuff does pop up its typically a great deal (assuming its in good & functional condition).

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
They don't , as the avvy body is 35mm and the springs are 36mm
And they just don't go on without rubbing the body , the internal measurements of the a vs spring are 38mm
lol i dunno

the DHS I had and the RS 500lb spring fit without issue, but that's just my experience. The fox springs and such are another story.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
yeah. I don't have the parts anymore so I can't really measure, but I asked Craig and he said that RS springs will fit, from what I recall. Craig is a really good resource...

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Nope. No one is saying you should buy a new bike. We simply disagree with your argument that old parts are better. Do whatever you must to rationalize your bike, just don't share it with us.

Also listen to jon, he obviously had more sleep than me last night.

Sandwich said:
and if he has a perfectly functional bike that he likes to huck off loading docks, then so what? That's all I'm saying. People are tearing him apart like he doesn't ride enough and "OMG there's no way you're hard enough unless you have carbon trimz bro". Heck, he's probably not even running DHFs.
So nothing. I have fond memories of my old stupid heavy bike. The only thing that I disagree is that new bikes are crap and old bikes are the shizzle.

Last edited:

Samoto

Dec 16, 2013
my sunday is good . 2-3 years old cars, bikes offer good value compared to 10 years old. My norco from 2002 has "huckable" geometry with noodly chainstays. Mag 30 are heavy as hell, Doublewides are stupid. Old classic Mavic were best. And so on...

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
I used to have fond memories of retro bikes until I found this pic today..

the worst part is this was 2004 so its not even that old..I had wayyy worse bikes before this

Manitou Dorado so flexed out its yielding a near negative head angle...

That and I guess people take midstroke support for granted nowadays...forks about fully bottomed through the turn although I most likely came in hot and grabbed too much of that Purple Hayes with aftermarket Dangerboy lever..

soft-compound

Monkey
Dec 29, 2012
Anybody wanna buy a set of immaculate avalanche MTN-8 forks ?
Have been serviced and extras added by avalanche and used once since.