Quantcast

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
Maybe I sensationalized the headline a bit.

Yeah, 68 isn't exactly slack, but at least the tapered HT lets you run an angleset.

Doesn't appear to have ISCG tabs though.

Either way, at $2700 for the frame, it's vaporware to me.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Yeah, I tried a DH bike with 1.5* Angleset, and the drop in BB was noticeable. Lot of pedal strikes. Better solution might be to use 140/150mm fork instead with this bike?
Seems to me a 140mm fork would put it in the sweet spot - pretty much the same as a Yeti ASR-5 with a 140mm fork.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
After getting out on a mountain bike trail in nearly a year and having it be on a trailbike which I haven't ridden in 1.5-2 years, I'm having quite the chuckle over this headangle debate. 1 degree isn't going to prevent you from being able to shred on trails.

aenema

almost 100% positive
Sep 5, 2008
I was a little bit disappointed by the numbers. I currently ride a Spitfire and like everything but the long'ish chain stays and subsequently, wheelbase. The new Blur was looking great till I got to head angle and bb height. The geo numbers are with a 501 axle to crown so yeah, easy to get head angle slacker but I am not interesting in jacking the bb height up to 14 inches after getting use to twelve's range of the Spitfire. Almost right for me, sure it will be fantastic for a lot of people though so can't really fault them.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
^^^With the same fork it has the head angle of the Spitfire in the steep setting and the BB height very slightly higher than the slack setting.

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
'Blur 4X'

4X bike?

hell no, its way too tall in the seat..and iffy geometry for fast technical riding

looks like a wicked shorter travel trail bike, to be fair to SC!

if you want a proper 4X bike

this is what you need to be looking at...Banshee RAMPANT

41.5" wheelbase for the "short" version I ride = super responsive bike

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Banshee goons are out in force.. ;)

the title of this thread is a bit misleading, it's not a 4x bike but a TRAIL bike, thus the name TRc.

They are saying that the TRc was inspired by the now defunct 4X blur, but it's not advertised as a 4X bike. Just a trail bike with more modern geometry. yeah the 68degree HA sounds steep, but that's spec'd with a 130mm fork. Like Dogboy mentioned, use a 140mm or 150mm fork and you'll have a much slacker HA. Want to keep the BB low, then use an AngleSet. There are tons of option out there - pick your poison.

I think this bike is pretty sweet (minus the price)

I personally wouldn't want to ride a trail bike with a 41" WB - but that's just me.

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
Banshee goons are out in force.. ;)

the title of this thread is a bit misleading, it's not a 4x bike but a TRAIL bike, thus the name TRc.

They are saying that the TRc was inspired by the now defunct 4X blur, but it's not advertised as a 4X bike. Just a trail bike with more modern geometry. yeah the 68degree HA sounds steep, but that's spec'd with a 130mm fork. Like Dogboy mentioned, use a 140mm or 150mm fork and you'll have a much slacker HA. Want to keep the BB low, then use an AngleSet. There are tons of option out there - pick your poison.

I think this bike is pretty sweet (minus the price)

I personally wouldn't want to ride a trail bike with a 41" WB - but that's just me.
thanks for the info / update

Like I said, as a trail bike it looks sweet....

mullarks

Chimp
May 9, 2008
I like the idea but it needs to be a bit slacker. For me, a 66.5 or so head angle with a 130mm fork would be ideal. I keep waiting for someone other than Banshee to come out with a slack, low and light trail bike as a potential replace my Blur 4x. The wait continues....

Last edited:

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Little bit of blur overlap. I could use my BLT a bit longer and a 67 or 66.5 HA instead of 68 would rule. This seems to be so close to the BLTc and ALSO the BLc - Im not sure why it exists.....

ballr

Monkey
Apr 7, 2002
colorado
Not sure why everyone is having a hard time understanding this, though I do disagree with SC's wording on the geo spec sheet. The geo listed is for 130mm fork, no?

Here it is:
- if you run a 130mm fork, you can run an angleset to get the HA to 66.5 and a low BB. Is this not exactly what you all are calling for?
-Similarly, you can run a 150mm fork with -1.5 angleset and get the thing so slacked even the internet will approve, with a still not prehistoric BB height.

For reference, I run a BLTc (stock HA 68.1) with a -1.5 angleset and 150mm fork. Listed BB height on this BLT is 13.8, but my configuration sits squarely at 13.5 with high volume tires. Not too bad at all IMO, but this new Blur opens the possibilities for rider preference on the setup. All good things.

Are some of you really wishing for a bike with a 64HA and 12inch bb height? Really?

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Here it is:
- if you run a 130mm fork, you can run an angleset to get the HA to 66.5 and a low BB. Is this not exactly what you all are calling for?
Why should I have to pay the extra money for an angleset to make my $2700 frame what I want it to be?

For those people complaining about how they were so excited to replace their blur 4x until they saw the geometry for the new bike...

Head Angle
Blur TR Carbon: 68
Blur 4x 68.5

Chainstay
Blur TR Carbon: 16.9"
Blur 4x: 17.2"

BB Height
Blur TR Carbon: 13.1"
Blur 4x: 12.6"

Seat Tube Angle
Blur TR Carbon: 72.5
Blur 4x: 73.5

I don't really how the new blur would be any less fun than the 4x?

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Downhillers talking XC is hilarious. Do ya'll actually ride fast on sub 67* xc bikes at the moment? Or even ridden one in the past? Because I only see pictures posted of tanked-out all mountain bikes, and slalom bikes with seats that are too low and angled nose-up? The last thing I want, speaking from actual saddle time on them, is a sub 67* XC bike; and it has nothing to do with a lack of fitness or handling skills. Props to SC, that thing is dialed.

Last edited:

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Downhillers talking XC is hilarious. Do ya'll actually ride fast on sub 67* xc bikes at the moment? Because I only see pictures posted of tanked-out all mountain bikes, and slalom bikes with seats that are too low and angled nose-up? The last thing I want, speaking from actual saddle time on them, is a sub 67* XC bike; and it has nothing to do with a lack of fitness or handling skills.
I think most would just rather have tons of fun going down and sacrifice a little bit of climbing ability. Not a tanked out all mountain bike, just something that is more fun than a roadied out xc bike.

mullarks

Chimp
May 9, 2008
Those angles on the old Blur 4x are with 100mm fork. So if you run a 130mm fork on it would get about a 66.5 degree headangle and a 13 inch bottom bracket.

And I completely agree about the angle set! With an angle set you are looking at almost $3000, the same cost as a carbon V10 (which comes with an angleset)!!

I love the fact that it would be 2.5 lbs lighter, that is the only area where the older 4x isn't great.

Why should I have to pay the extra money for an angleset to make my $2700 frame what I want it to be?

For those people complaining about how they were so excited to replace their blur 4x until they saw the geometry for the new bike...

Head Angle
Blur TR Carbon: 68
Blur 4x 68.5

Chainstay
Blur TR Carbon: 16.9"
Blur 4x: 17.2"

BB Height
Blur TR Carbon: 13.1"
Blur 4x: 12.6"

Seat Tube Angle
Blur TR Carbon: 72.5
Blur 4x: 73.5

I don't really how the new blur would be any less fun than the 4x?

Last edited:

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
I think most would just rather have tons of fun going down and sacrifice a little bit of climbing ability. Not a tanked out all mountain bike, just something that is more fun than a roadied out xc bike.
Maybe I'm from a different breed. The breed that shares chairs every weekend, but rides with legitimately fast XC guys all week. I know what a 67* bike feels like pinned 45 minutes in on a rad descent, and 3 hours in when the ride shows it's teeth. There's a balance. 67*, and anything below, only works against you once your redbull and egg mcmuffin happy hour burn itself off in true Challenger fashion. If ya'll are about sacraficing climbing ability for going down, why even look at this bike? I can assure you a 30lb 6.5" bike with proper angles is way more fun descending than any 67* XC bike will ever be. This thing is far from a roadied out XC bike - those are your 70-71* race steeds. This, this is for the dudes who log miles, ride fast, and know how to turn and descend too well to ever sit on a XC race bike. I really think they've got a winner, and I'm not that big of a Santa Cruz guy anymore.

TrailzHozer

Monkey
Jan 29, 2010
Maybe I'm from a different breed. The breed that shares chairs every weekend, but rides with legitimately fast XC guys all week. I know what a 67* bike feels like pinned 45 minutes in on a rad descent, and 3 hours in when the ride shows it's teeth. There's a balance. 67*, and anything below, only works against you once your redbull and egg mcmuffin happy hour burn itself off in true Challenger fashion. If ya'll are about sacraficing climbing ability for going down, why even look at this bike? I can assure you a 30lb 6.5" bike with proper angles is way more fun descending than any 67* XC bike will ever be. This thing is far from a roadied out XC bike - those are your 70-71* race steeds. This, this is for the dudes who log miles, ride fast, and know how to turn and descend too well to ever sit on a XC race bike. I really think they've got a winner, and I'm not that big of a Santa Cruz guy anymore.
But you live in Main, is there any trails there that are steep enough to warrant a slack trail bike?

From watching recent SoCal, NorCal, OR and BC videos, I can see where a light slack bike would fit the bill.

ballr

Monkey
Apr 7, 2002
colorado

QUOTE]

Good point about the angleset. I guess I just don't see it the same way. I look at it as having the ability to dial my bike in as close to exactly how I want it as possible. For all the various opinions about angles and setup out there, the angleset helps almost everyone arrive at their chosen setup on the frame/suspension design of their choice. JMO.

I'm going to buy a headset anyway and won't mind paying a few more bucks than a top-of-the-line headset that will help me get angles and bb height just right for me.

FWIW, if I can get my hands on one these things, I'm thinking I'd set it up -1.5 angleset and a 140mm fork. Should keep the bb close to the same as listed and make an absolute turning machine. IMO, the bike sounds real fun.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
But you live in Main, is there any trails there that are steep enough to warrant a slack trail bike?

From watching recent SoCal, NorCal, OR and BC videos, I can see where a light slack bike would fit the bill.
There are. Some parts of the state are flat, some parts aren't. I don't only ride in Maine though. :)

The degree people are up in arms about isn't the difference between riding steep terrain fast and not. These aren't downhill bikes. Steep generally correlates with errosion, and tech. The rider still needs to be on their game with a 66* XC bike the same as they do with 68* when things get that steep, because the suspension, tires, and general body position still aren't there like they are with a DH bike. However, unlike a DH bike, those two degrees actually effect the bike everywhere else, which is the majority of the ride. (the non-steep fun descents, the flats, the climbs, etc...) This thread, and all the other previous trail bike threads on here, make me question whether the majority of bloody-murder's being called out have comparatively ridden XC bikes with the head angles they're demanding, or are simply trying to compare apples to oranges from a desk somewhere. From experience, sub 67* XC bikes have more -'s than +'s, and in situations where that isn't the case, the bike best suited for the job is actually an AM bike.

Last edited:

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
The beginning of your post starts out like a bud light or coors commercial... It made me thirsty. :D

I don't see the point in climbing if I don't have a good time coming down. I also don't see the point in torturing myself with heavy ass bike on an all day ride. Because of that, I compromise a little coming up (slack HA) and a little going down (short travel).

I never ride with legitimately fast XC guys, they never wait for me at the top and they never let me pass on the way back down. :(

I also don't drink redbull- it makes the customers all crazy-like.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Its carbon. What if someone throws a rock at me? ;)

TBH though I like the looks. 68 ha is for 501mm fork so with a 514 to 520 140mm fork it would be quite rad. Though I think they should have made it 68 for something 10mm lower. It would still be nice for climbing at 95mm on a pike but would get a bit slacker on full travel.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Not everyone wants what you want. Just reading this thread it's pretty clear that some people are pretty stoked on the numbers for this bike. An Angleset just makes it more versatile, making the bike an option for more people. And in the context of a $2700 frame, an Angleset isn't that much additional cheddar. Seriously, what's the difference in cost between an angleset and a premium headset?

yesimaddicted

Monkey
Apr 28, 2007
centeral Euroland via CA
head angles head angles head angles head angles head angles head angles head angles head angles head angles head angles head angles head angles head angles head angles head angles head angles head angles head angles head angles head angles head angles head angles head angles head angles head angles head angles head angles head angles head angles head angles head angles head angles head angles head angles head angles head angles head angles head angles head angles head angles head angles head angles head angles head angles head angles head angles head angles head angles head angles

happy now?

bike looks cool, i would buy if i were rich and didnt spend time talking about angles n crap on the interwebz all day

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Anglesets are great, but really folx.........throw a gel seat on there and make it comfy too, and pop on some mirrors, and why not a streamer.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
From experience, sub 67* XC bikes have more -'s than +'s, and in situations where that isn't the case, the bike best suited for the job is actually an AM bike.
Going fast uphill is in the legs, not the headangle.
Next you're going to tell me I shouldn't have a 50mm stem on my bike for racing hillclimbs, either? :p

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Not everyone wants what you want. Just reading this thread it's pretty clear that some people are pretty stoked on the numbers for this bike.
This is true, there are other bikes out there with other numbers that other people want. I'm not attacking SC for building this bike, I think it's a pretty slick ride. My comment was more directed at the guy who was telling people to make do with this bike and an angle set and quit bitching. I think for that amount of money you shouldn't have to.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Next you're going to tell me I shouldn't have a 50mm stem on my bike for racing hillclimbs, either? :p
No its not. Some tech climbs can get steep enough that it will start lifting your front end. Than you will wish you had a steeper head angle. I didnt measure my bike yet but Im pretty sure at 140mm front it goes close to 67mm and the its unrideable over some steeper clims unless I lay on the bars. Hardly the most effective uphill method.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Going fast uphill is in the legs, but going fast downhill is in the rider, not the headangle ;)

In my findings, a stem that short really isn't good at, well, anything? I came from 66-67*, 70mm stem, setback post XC bikes. Turns out they still aren't DH bikes, even with that set up. Having your weight that far back makes climbing harder, for the reasons Norbar pointed out, but it also makes descending harder too. Since its not faster to sit back and hang on with these bikes, stubby stems limit your weight distribution and make it awkward to "ride light," which is faster on a sub-30lb XC bike no matter what way you cut it.

Glad the 50mm works out for you in Golden. I just came back from there, the riding is swell. I'd give a longer stem a shot and see what you think though. Or not. Shred White Ranch for me.