Quantcast

Revelation

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Always really liked those bikes...can not say I ever did a run on one, but did some extensive parking lot testing and seemed good enough ;), But that bike looks buff and looks killer white. Nice one.

Just run the decals Johnny T style, giant 'PROTOTYPE' down the downtube.

Thrillkil

Monkey
May 25, 2005
Isla Vista, CA
They essentially are, for the time being. There was talk of doing some revisions in later batches. In the meantime, I'm certainly lusting after one of these. :drool:

konarider1283

Monkey
Sep 1, 2005
dude, thats really nice. if the owner of this place is readin over this thread, is there any way I could get in touch with you? I have a 2004 karpiel apocalypse and i would like to possibly buy some replacement parts just for safe keeping. I'm pretty sure these bikes are very similar in terms of the swing arm design and what not. I could be wrong, but yea. If theres any way of me being able to contact you let me know.

Percy

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Christchurch NZ
So this is one of the "new Karpiel's"?

If so, is there any chance of me buying some linkage bearings that wont be munted in 2 months of who ever is doing these baby's?
Providing they are the same as the Disco bearings.
I cant get decent quality bearings in the size needed in New Zealand without paying rediculous money to get them imported specially.

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
Dugger43 said:
The Bikes look sweet!!! now go punish them.
Check out the steel gray with nickel plated links...4rizzlemynizzle
the nickel looks alot like black crome. nice touch.

does nickel plating alter the bearing tolerance at all ? Can i nickel plate my existing linkage and still pop my bearing back in without using a BFH ?

Thrillkil

Monkey
May 25, 2005
Isla Vista, CA
Jimmy_Pop said:
the nickel looks alot like black crome. nice touch.

does nickel plating alter the bearing tolerance at all ? Can i nickel plate my existing linkage and still pop my bearing back in without using a BFH ?
I wouldn't think that it would make any difference - it's just a super-thin coat. Anodized links don't have any trouble, and the nickel plating isnt really any thicker than ano.

wirly

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
San Diego
The nickle plating does look sick. Even after a year of riding the first ones are still shiny. They were not machined any different that the ano so they did not effect the bearing seating much, but then I don't know what tolerances your plates were made to.

Kidwoo - as you know, they aren't any different really than the original (except press-in bearings rather than bolt-in), and no matter what some people want to say about him personally (he gets whatever he deserves on that front), Jan designed a unique and, in my mind, ahead of its time frame.
The few that were made will all say Karpiel.

Dugger43

Chimp
Mar 6, 2003
I'll just add a little "bling-bling" to the logo and maybe change the font..

BTW. Nickel plating is about .0002 thicker that anodize which equates to .0004 smaller on the diameters. A BFP works for the bearing but the barrels my have to be turned down a tad so they don't bind.

konarider1283

Monkey
Sep 1, 2005
beautiful :) . Maybe you can send me some of those decals so I can pop em onto my apocalypse frame :D. Are you guys making extra linkages to sell? I wanna buy some for safe keepings (assuming theyre the same size as the army).

MaxDamageDA

Monkey
Jan 20, 2006
Poland
OMG!!!

I love Karpiels!! I will pack em up on my wall :D

I have a big army and ive just started building a disco for my girlfriend - will be about 17kg's with avy on back and boxxers up front.

I love those bikes so much... Nothing today can even compare to those...

Dugger43

Chimp
Mar 6, 2003
Production??
Sorry to disappoint, but here's the production. I'm Just using up some existing inventory so there are NO new updates on these.
I think it's only appropriate to call these frames "Revelation".

BTW. I'm stoked about all the feed back..Thanks,

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
hey guys any news on the new disco's? mine is kinda out of date hehe, I'd really like a new swing arm with some thru axel and replasable thing for the derauilier (Don't know the name or how it's spelled), some new links would come in handy as well, don't wanna have to change the whole frame, too much money

Percy

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Christchurch NZ
Right, this may not be the best place to ask this question, but here goes anyway.

Does anyone know for sure which grade alloy a Disco is made from, 6061 or 7005?
I need to know for heat treatment purposes!

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Percy said:
Right, this may not be the best place to ask this question, but here goes anyway.

Does anyone know for sure which grade alloy a Disco is made from, 6061 or 7005?
I need to know for heat treatment purposes!

its 6061

545deg c for 30 minutes, then quench (jan recommended warm water mist from both sides at the same time) with water or water/glycol, watch for any warping (although since you are going to be re-heat treating, the chances of that happening are a lot lower), then 180 dec celsius for 9 or 10 hours.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
vitox said:
its 6061

545deg c for 30 minutes, then quench (jan recommended warm water mist from both sides at the same time) with water or water/glycol, watch for any warping (although since you are going to be re-heat treating, the chances of that happening are a lot lower), then 180 dec celsius for 9 or 10 hours.
i'm pretty sure the proper method uses an oil quench (due to the cooling down rate being critical); sounds like this 'misting' was a way for Jan ghetto-treat his frames not having the proper equipment. Besides the proper cooling rate, you also want uniform cooling of the material, something that 'misting' doesnt exactly seem apt for.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
zedro said:
i'm pretty sure the proper method uses an oil quench (due to the cooling down rate being critical); sounds like this 'misting' was a way for Jan ghetto-treat his frames not having the proper equipment. Besides the proper cooling rate, you also want uniform cooling of the material, something that 'misting' doesnt exactly seem apt for.

zed i think you might be getting overzealous with jan and his methods here, its not like you have someone with a super soaker or a garden hose set to mist, spraying away at the parts, far from it.
i do heat treating at a plant where they routinely do parts for million-dollar mining trucks and machines and they gave me the choice of oil. water, or glycol, another plant had this mist process but werent interested in treating bike frames.
besides, were talking 540 celsius here, its right under melting temperature for aluminium, if you can show me a method of getting a frame to a temperature like that, wihout melting half of them, youd be my hero. jan had his ghetto ways but i dont think this was one of them.