Quantcast

REVIEW: NEW Troy Lee Designs / Shock Doctor 5205 Wrist Support

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Have a recent wrist injury? TLD / Shock Dr might have just what you need...

I recently picked up the TLD / Shock Dr. WS 5205 wrist brace after breaking my wrist back in December 2010. At first I was a little wary of wrist support thinking it would be uncomfortable and might limit the movement I need for riding/racing DH, but I figured I would give it a shot.

The brace works on its own, under gloves, or outside of gloves. It is secured by 3 velcro straps that are pretty adjustable for your comfort, level of support, and to give you more options on how you can wear it. I tried it on its own, under gloves, and on top of gloves. Running the brace under the gloves limited it a bit because all gloves fit different and some gloves were too snug for the brace to fit under them (So I ran some of the gloves without doing the wrist strap, some gloves the brace fit just fine under).

I found that running the brace over the gloves works best for comfort and gives you complete freedom on what gloves you can use with it. Because of the material on the palm of the brace (reinforced leather - same as most gloves), I never noticed any decrease in my grip while riding. The material didn't bunch up in between my thumb / index finger either (I know, we all hate that feeling right?). The material on the bottom of the wrist and palm are super thin and lightweight, so you barely notice its there.

The brace has removable light weight plastic pieces that provide the stiff support for the brace (2 pieces per slot). You can remove them to customize the fit / feel of the brace to your liking. Something I noticed that was different than most other wrist protection is that the stiff support was on the back of the hand rather than the palm. I noticed this helps stabilize your wrist while riding. Like I mentioned earlier, I was a little wary on how how my range of movement would be when riding but this brace keeps your wrist in the perfect position to ride and just makes your wrist feel strong again. You just get all of the movement and stability you need.

(removable plastic inserts)

(there are 2 pieces per slot giving you pretty killer customization / fit)

With my injury I noticed after riding my wrist was a little sore, sometimes swollen, and weak. When using the brace, my wrist was no longer sore after riding some pretty serious DH and actually felt stronger after a ride rather than weaker.

Here is what my wrist looked like:

You can see the most obvious part of the break on the left part of the radius, what you can't really see is the fracture going across the whole growth plate of the wrist.

The bottom line here is that this product does its job. Its comfortable and gives your wrist the support it needs for this rough sport. If you have any questions at all, please feel free to ask. I am happy to help!

Information from www.troyleedesigns.com:

Constructed of vented neoprene with reinforced binding. A close-fitting micro-fiber synthetic leather palm gives it a glove-like feel.

Features:
-Shock Doctor technology
-Stability system supports wrist with an adjustable internal stay system for customized support & protection
-Extended wrist support enhances flex limits and load dispersion zone for increased protection and control
-Adjustable 3-strap closure ensures personal fit and multi-zone compression
-Glove compatible design for unobstructed grip

The review is also up on Vital here.

Last edited:

ignitor

Chimp
Feb 10, 2009
Is the sizing similar to tld's gloves with the whole small 08, medium 09 thing??? It seems they don't have a sizing guide...

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Yes, it is the same sizing as TLD gloves. I wear a medium (9) TLD glove and the medium (9) WS 5205 brace. There is no sizing chart available yet though.

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
Nice review, stoked to hear it works for you.

Is that fracture the line that runs about 1/8" to 1/2" deep as you look from right to left?

Did you break it in a jamming motion?

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Thanks man!

I think that is where the fracture is, but I am no doctor. ha

To be honest, it happened so fast I am not 100% on how it happened. The doctor said the obvious broken off piece was a 'blow out' from the impact.