Quantcast

Revox on M3

Sep 9, 2004
Littleton, CO
I know there has been a lot of posts concerning rear shocks lately and most of them have been completely useless. I did a search and saw a lot of speculation threads but nothing to subsatantial. I'm getting an M3 and need to decide on which rear shock to choose. It's between a Swinger 6-way, DHX 5.0, or a Revox. The Revox is going to cost about $300 extra, but I think it might be worth the extra dough.

Has anyone been riding the Revox yet that can give me a straight foward compairson to the DHX? I rode a DHX last year and liked it, but I think the small bump could be a little better. Also, if anyone has experience with how these three shocks match up with an M3 I would appreciate the input. Thanks.
-Chris

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Hmmm... the Revox is still pretty new, so I don't know if anyone has it yet. The Swinger 6-way is a plush shock w/ a broad tuning range, but it IS a bit on the heavy side. Gracia ran one for most of the 04' racing season. I have never owned a DHX, but have one on the way. From what I've read about it's performance it's probably the best option out there right now, and considering Darren at PUSH Industries will be offering a Factory Tune and a Factory Race System as upgrades, it will be hard to beat.

EDIT: If you are really serious about good suspension feel AND have the dolla-dolla billz, get the Ohlins designed Cane Creek Double Barrel. I've been talking to Herndon a lot lately about this shock, and from what he's said about testing it so far, it's amazing. The oil flows in a circular path instead of back and forth like most shocks out there now - smooth as butter. I'm seriously considering getting one for my Demo 8 next season...

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
At least...if you get an Avy for the M3 (if it fits) you wont have any reliability problems and I think it will match the suspension design well....

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Hey AusRottenVirus, let me know what you end up going with as far as shock choice. I too have an M3 with a Swinger 6way on it right now, and am curious as to how other shocks feel on it. The Swinger feels great, very plush, responsive and just overall very nice but it'd be interesting to see how other platforms ride on it too. When you get it I might have to check it out since we live fairly close to eachother. :p

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
S.K.C. said:
EDIT: If you are really serious about good suspension feel AND have the dolla-dolla billz, get the Ohlins designed Cane Creek Double Barrel.
I've ridden Avys, Swingers, etc. and NOTHING feels as good as the Double Barrel. The DB is hands down the best on the market right now. The adjustablility is incredible. Being able to tune high and low speed rebound and compression all independently is unparalleled.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
If you've got the dough, a DB is the way to go.

Basically, in order from most plush/worst pedalling to least plush/best pedalling *from what I've gathered*:

-ROCO/Avy
-CC DB ('cause it's got a broad tuning range)
-DHX
-Swinger/5th

Right now I'm running a Swinger and I'm not too happy. It's on a Demo 8 which is a super active bike, and even then w/ min. SPV pressure it feels dead to me. I want to get a DB or a DHX depending on how much cash I'm gonna throw down because they've got a broad tuning range but they're better at small bumps than SPV shocks.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Profro:
I've ridden Avys, Swingers, etc. and NOTHING feels as good as the Double Barrel. The DB is hands down the best on the market right now. The adjustablility is incredible. Being able to tune high and low speed rebound and compression all independently is unparalleled.
...yup, that's what Herndon has been telling me, and he's been riding one since last year. The one thing that he had to do to compensate for the compression characteristics of the DB in the rear, was increase the compression on his Fox 40 in the front to balance things out. This was at the recommendation of Fitzy, the Fox Shox race tech. I've asked Christopher how this added compression has effected things, but haven't heard back from him as of yet.

-sorry to get off topic here, but if you want the Revox, check out the DB too. It's $650 for one w/ a steel spring, and $850 for Ti-

biker3

Turbo Monkey
I second the DB. I can't even imagine how sweet it would be on a linkage bike, but on my simple Morewood its amazing. They adjustability is endless and pretty intimidating. If you can't get a DB then get a DHX. Its solid, proven and the small bump should be fine if you set it up correctly. Manitou stuff is garbage as it is, so id assume a 1st year product is even sketchier. Def not worth the 300 extra. A DB with a steel spring is about the same price as a Revox w/ Ti. The decision is easy.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
dexterq20 said:
Im just curious as to why people dont think about the Avy Montie. Its super light, reliable, plush, and can be tuned for the rider. It would be awesome on an M3. A Zoke Roco would be great too. Heck, I dont even know if they make one for the M3.

Sep 9, 2004
Littleton, CO
I refuse to ride Avy. I dont mean to piss anyone off, but I have had some very sub-par experiences with Avy products. I think I am going to end up getting the Fox because I liked it last year and it was super easy to tune.

The Cane Creek does sound inticing, but I think I would rather save the extra money and buy a gun rack for my truck:) . Thanks for all the help folks.

Banga

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
AusRottenVirus said:
I refuse to ride Avy. I dont mean to piss anyone off, but I have had some very sub-par experiences with Avy products. I think I am going to end up getting the Fox because I liked it last year and it was super easy to tune.

The Cane Creek does sound inticing, but I think I would rather save the extra money and buy a gun rack for my truck:) . Thanks for all the help folks.
gosh that will incur the wrath of the avy groupies and their swinging handbags.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
AusRottenVirus said:
I refuse to ride Avy. I dont mean to piss anyone off, but I have had some very sub-par experiences with Avy products. .
Oh no. You have angered the cult.

"They can hear sweat trickling down your cheek.
Your heartbeat, sound like Sasquatch feet.
Thunderous, shaking the concrete."

Run Now!:rofl:

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
AusRottenVirus said:
Hey Comtbiker12, I would be happy to meet up and compare them. How soon untill you get your M3? I have to wait untill we get the team bikes in late April.
I already have mine. :D Granted I picked it up around Keystone last season so I haven't ridden it a ton yet. If you want to check it out maybe we could meet up or something. I'll just have to borrow my Dad's car since it won't fit in my Civic. :p

Nov 9, 2005
cool. Doesnt the cane creek also have sort of a plat form. On the website it said that the compression adjustment had a screw that helped with "Pedal bob".

Thrillkil

Monkey
May 25, 2005
Isla Vista, CA
I got to goof around with a Cane Creek, and I was quite impressed. Either that or one of the new avy's with the dual compression damping gets my nod.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
same question renewed what shock on an m3 i was considering the revox myself, only because i can get a better deal on it than the canecreek DB, i called them up and they gave me its all handmade, this is the cheapest we can go, and just for kicks i asked if i could get a discount if i purchased six of them, but no deal.

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
i rode the sessions 10 with a revox today and its a pretty butter shock but it wasnt totally dialed, i wouldn't want to say anything yet except its beefy looking and has tons of adjustments.

by the way it dosenot feel anything like the dhx.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
Kanter said:
Im just curious as to why people dont think about the Avy Montie....
Because no one wants anything to do with the avy cult and it's over hyped, pushy, thread ruining bull****.

*If you have a retort to this I don't care and don't want to hear it.*

stgil888

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Malibu, CA
bballe336 said:
Because no one wants anything to do with the avy cult and it's over hyped, pushy, thread ruining bull****.

Relax. I understand that the Avy crew can be pushy, but I have yet to see an Avy-supporter derail a thread. All the posts I've seen from them offer an Avalanche-made alternative to other products being discussed. I don't think any of those guys are getting a kickback to rep Avy products, so they're doing it for your benefit.

As for the original question, I don't think too many people have experience with Revox's yet. There have been a lot of recent complaints about Swinger tech problems, as well as the original complaints about its feel. I think Manitou will address these issues on the Revox if it wants to stay in the rear-suspension market. Otherwise, with the response they're getting now, it looks like they may have to go OEM-only. Do you know of anyone who has ordered a Swinger aftermarket for their bike? I don't.

phil

Monkey
Jun 15, 2002
I have one on my session 10 and its's f***ing awsome.It has such a wide range of adjustability,and a ti spring It feels bottomless I made a bucnch of runs on realy rocky terain and it felt great.Both the fork and the rear shock with the intrinsic damping was amazing.It felt way nicer than my dhx did.
I had to call manatou to get tips on it and they told me to start off with about 80% of the rider weght and go from their and I put in 80% of my weight and I didn't need to ad or take any out.:)

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
bballe336 said:

Nice, real nice.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
Kanter said:
Nice, real nice.
Honestly, I find it sickening. It is very obnoxious when someone asks about 2 products and gets another suggested. Especially since you push avy into EVERY suspension thread that you post in. I am happy that your avy is waterproof and super plush and whatever else you guys senselessly hype up about it. If someone doesn't ask about it then don't push it in their face. Simply put; The avy cult is obnoxious.

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
bballe336 said:
Honestly, I find it sickening. It is very obnoxious when someone asks about 2 products and gets another suggested. Especially since you push avy into EVERY suspension thread that you post in. I am happy that your avy is waterproof and super plush and whatever else you guys senselessly hype up about it. If someone doesn't ask about it then don't push it in their face. Simply put; The avy cult is obnoxious.

:oink:

Sep 9, 2004
Littleton, CO
phil said:
I have one on my session 10 and its's f***ing awsome.It has such a wide range of adjustability,and a ti spring It feels bottomless I made a bucnch of runs on realy rocky terain and it felt great.Both the fork and the rear shock with the intrinsic damping was amazing.It felt way nicer than my dhx did.
I had to call manatou to get tips on it and they told me to start off with about 80% of the rider weght and go from their and I put in 80% of my weight and I didn't need to ad or take any out.:)
Thank you for some real insight.