Quantcast

Richi bike...stupid or smart ?!

Downhiller

Turbo Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
CROATIA....europe....CROATIA
i know that was (maybe) before i mean talks about this frame/bike but i dont want bring old threads up so here is new..
sorry if this was before...

i think its just harder in the rear you dont have much travel like on apocalypse..

so i know here are waise and smart riders who can say something smart...
so stupid or smart ??!

ps. this stem looks so stupid i mean isnt that super monster enough high ?!:dead: :dead:

enjoy:

this is (some dude) how it looks like when it roll..

lankyride

Chimp
Jan 3, 2005
mid west
The only advantage I see to rinning two shocks, is that the suspension is running such a high leverage ratio that it takes two shocks working the suspension to handle the leverage. you are looking at a 4.5to1 leverage ratio...that would easily snap a single DHX in half. Now instead of redesiging the suspension because it OBVIOUSLY is a GREAT design you simply add a second shock.

p.s. that has to be the worst bit of engeneering i have ever seen on a bike.

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
yea i would say that one shock can't handle it. they should just use a moto shock:rolleyes:

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
nice stem...i guess the front end wasnt high enough for him :rolleyes: ...gotta love those euros...

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
Well, with such a high leverage ratio, you'd be blowing shocks left and right. With two shocks to share the load, it's doable. Rather than re-engineer a bad idea, why not add weight and cost to make a crappy design work, right?

Shock fade isn't an issue on bikes, however the second shock would allow you to fine tune things better, but again, such subtlety on a bike isn't noticed or worth the weight.

So overall, poor design, dumb idea, and a really, really high front end.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
and thats part of the reason everyone likes the avy with the increased oil volume...after a ride down tunnel the resivor on a dhx is smoking hot, almost untouchable but the avy is barley at optimal working temp, luke warm to the touch...it makes a big difference

wood-dog

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
the mid-west armpit!
Personally, I like the concept of the bike better then the actual look of the finished product. However, if you would chuck the super monster and replace it with ANY 7-8 inch fork and get rid of one of the frame shocks and repalced the left over frame shock for a 3" stroke shock to lower the BB height, then I think the company would be onto something good.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
i do think its stupid, yes

that impression might -of course- be product of my own ignorance, but ill give myself the benefit of doubt on that one, in light of the photographic evidence at hand.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
seems to me that it would be a pain trying to get both shocks dialed in evenly. i bet it would be an interesting ride if you had different levels of comp/rebound in each shock.

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
manimal said:
seems to me that it would be a pain trying to get both shocks dialed in evenly. i bet it would be an interesting ride if you had different levels of comp/rebound in each shock.
you can run a fork with a rebound/compression cart in one leg and nothin' in the other. Works fine.

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
it's got 12 inches of travel, so even with a 3 inch stroke shock, that's a 4:1 leverage ratio, enough to make a moto shock cringe. so they spread the leverage out by using two shocks. they look like 2.5 strokes so that puts the ratio at...1:2.4.
that's not a DH bike and it will suck if you try to use it as one. now for dropping off a 60 footer....

captainpolution

Turbo Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
EastCoastHucker said:
Is a long travel bike with short stroke shocks.
e. 9" travel with 2"stroke shock is a big NO NO... BUTTTTTTT with TWO 2" stroke shoks ... who knows... :/

my .2
you gave 18 cents too much

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
Outside temperature of the shock has very little to do with fade. The resivoir might be hot, but the shock hasn't faded. The valving hasn't stopped working, the oil hasn't boiled or broken down, it's still working fine. The 3" shocks on the rear of my truck were hot enough to burn you if you touched them, and that was after 100+ miles of Mexican terrain. They still worked. Chances are you'll have to stop to rest before your shock does.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
amateur said:
the oil hasn't boiled or broken down
it does boil down just not in one ride..how often do u change the oil in your shock???????
how can the outside temp of the resivor not have anything to do with the temp of the oil inside it??????...

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
wydopen said:
it does boil down just not in one ride..how often do u change the oil in your shock???????
how can the outside temp of the resivor not have anything to do with the temp of the oil inside it??????...
I never said it wasn't indicative of it, merely that just because it's hot doesn't mean it's faded/fading. I change the oil in my shock everytime I change my fork oil...about 2x/yr.

As for the other shock helping with the valving/tuning/disapating heat, there's no need for another spring on it; it's just extra weight.

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
i agree with ameteur. if your feeling shock fade on your bike you either have a f*ed up shock. or you are imagining things. i run a romic(no external resi) ive ridden tunnel/ mammoth/ northstar/etc with that shock. i have never once felt it fade. sure it gets hot. but never stops performing.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
lovebunny said:
i agree with ameteur. if your feeling shock fade on your bike you either have a f*ed up shock. or you are imagining things. i run a romic(no external resi) ive ridden tunnel/ mammoth/ northstar/etc with that shock. i have never once felt it fade. sure it gets hot. but never stops performing.

after a week of whistler my oil is toast and my friends with an avy isnt...

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
The better question is... Who's going to make a three shocked bike to ride alongside the tall bike at burning man next year? I'll be there... but trying to add some Vanilla RC's to a unicycle. There has got to be a good way to add some more complexity to a simple design, and what better place to apply it than at burning man!

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
wood-dog said:
Personally, I like the concept of the bike better then the actual look of the finished product. However, if you would chuck the super monster and replace it with ANY 7-8 inch fork and get rid of one of the frame shocks and repalced the left over frame shock for a 3" stroke shock to lower the BB height, then I think the company would be onto something good.
the single shock version doesnt look too bad (for what it is):