Quantcast

Richmond riding scene?

Mar 23, 2006
NoVA/ Richmond
Hey, high school is finally coming to an end, and college will be starting in the fall. Ive settled on going to VCU and was wondering what the riding scene is like down there (eg. Street, Dj, etc.).

Thanks.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
What are you going to VCU for?

There is a bit of riding around, at best its spotty, mostly because peoples scheduals don't match up. We try and get it together, but...... things just fall through. There is plenty of street to be ridden, a BMX track a few miles outside of VCU and lots and lots of XC. You are also going to be ~2 hours from the mountains, and there is a LOT to ride in Harrisonburg, Charlottesville, basically anywhere along the ridge.

Were are you coming from?

Mar 23, 2006
NoVA/ Richmond
Sounds good. Im planning on studying Mechanical Engineering. Ill probably take my 20" down there since street would be the closest thing, as I probably wont have a car for the first year or so.

Oh, and im comin down from NoVA (Annandale to be specific).

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Riding is awesome in the area. Ignore BigMike, he has a REAL job for a change so he's a little cranky, especially now that he has to get up before noon. :p

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Riding is awesome in the area. Ignore BigMike, he has a REAL job for a change so he's a little cranky, especially now that he has to get up before noon. :p
He asked about the SCENE. When was the last time YOU were on a group ride my friend? :p

There is plenty to be ridden, but getting people together to ride is the hard part :)

And oh yeah, I forgot to tell Paranoid to check out www.cyclingcentralva.org

dairy_dude

Chimp
Nov 19, 2004
Belle Isle is great for XC and its within riding distance of VCU, and the BMX track is pretty fun and they have some races there in the summer, might be fun to check out.

Feb 18, 2007
VCU is a great school.Urban setting and all that goes with an Art/Design oriented school that also sports a Business department a growing engineering school and a medical school. Add to this an international student body.
I don't know of another school where you could ride from your dorm room to approx.14 miles of single track in 5 mins.

drt_jumper

Monkey
May 20, 2003
Manassas Va
VCU is a great school.Urban setting and all that goes with an Art/Design oriented school that also sports a Business department a growing engineering school and a medical school. Add to this an international student body.
I don't know of another school where you could ride from your dorm room to approx.14 miles of single track in 5 mins.

WVU and there are 3 sets of Dj's a skatepark, Bmx track, and hundreds of miles of trails from epic xc to dh. Just dont try and make a decent living there....becuase it wont happen.
But if you are there for college its great for riding.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
WVU and there are 3 sets of Dj's a skatepark, Bmx track, and hundreds of miles of trails from epic xc to dh. Just dont try and make a decent living there....becuase it wont happen.
But if you are there for college its great for riding.
yeah, but you also have to fcuk your sister there, and who wants to do that?

drt_jumper

Monkey
May 20, 2003
Manassas Va
That is only if you are raised there.....At least it is "Hoodfabulous"

And I am really not defending WV I just know that the riding is great there.