Quantcast

Ridemonkey... Introducing my new pet, Diesel.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
So I went to a reptile show and bought this snake from a reputable breeder. Pretty cool little fella, just your average ball python. It will get 3-5 feet and they are thick snakes, similar to my...well you know. My best friend, basically a brother to me, picked up a female which will grow up to 6 feet.

I bought a mouse (this one was raised on frozen/prekilled mice) and he wouldn't go for it if I held it infront of his face, or left him with it for a few hours by himself.The thing didn't eat and wouldn't accept a mouse, which is common when they are young apparently, so I had to put the mouse in the suckers mouth, and hold the back of the snakes head and get that mouse in there. He started eating it then haha.

I named the little guy Diesel. He's really tame, I can pet his head and everything. Pretty rad.

View attachment 108516View attachment 108517View attachment 108518View attachment 108519View attachment 108520View attachment 108521

Last edited:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Don't forget to weight the top of the terrarium. I've had a few friends who had runners because they didn't weight the top, even with small snakes.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Yea, I am keeping books on it now. It shouldn't escape, he's weak right now anyways.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I used to catch and sell rattle snakes in high school. now I cant stand snakes
Why does this not surprise me? Man, you've been trying to kill yourself since you were a kid! ;-) They should change your custom title to "Highlander".

Last edited:

gonefirefightin

free wieners
I would catch them in abandoned gold mines close to where i lived in the sierra nevadas of california. at one time I had 7 large aquariums in the basement and would haul them to sacramento every week or so. made 25-45 bucks a snake depending on size and would usually haul 20-30 in every week. got bit a couple times but nothing serious.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
I would catch them in abandoned gold mines close to where i lived in the sierra nevadas of california. at one time I had 7 large aquariums in the basement and would haul them to sacramento every week or so. made 25-45 bucks a snake depending on size and would usually haul 20-30 in every week. got bit a couple times but nothing serious.
Can you die from rattle snakes? Did they just bite you "blank" (no poison just fangs as a warning)? Who would buy those suckers and for what purpose? That is good money man. At least to a 20 year old college student.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
I would catch them in the cold months, they were slow and werent so aggressive. the two bites I got were pretty mild, only one required a ER visit and still nothing happened at the hospital. got a pretty good scar inside my thigh from it though.

the dealer said the customers that usually bought them were pretty eccentric.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Meh... rattlesnakes are actualyl fairly easy to handle. As GFF showed here though, if you play with fire, it grows fangs and bites you.

I used to buy rattlesnakes for food for my King snakes... now thats awesome to watch

Krzr3000

Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
Nice, fatten him up. Looks like stuck shed on its head 4th pic down. Might wanna give it a soak and/or bump up the humidity.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I grew up in the California Sierra Nevada's too. Rattle Snakes were fairly prevalent. Killed a bunch through the years, once with a stick and a swiss army knife (still have the skin) and my brother ran over one on his bike, but it never occurred to me that it might be a good idea to capture one alive. :think:

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Nice, fatten him up. Looks like stuck shed on its head 4th pic down. Might wanna give it a soak and/or bump up the humidity.
Yes I have since then soaked him and the skin came off. I spray his tank regularly too now to keep the humidity at 60-70% (babies can use the extra humidity I have read and was told by the breeder).

have you gotten it a leash yet and taken it for a walk i heard thats good for snakes.
No I haven't gotten the snake a leash yet. I probably should though. What have you heard about these IL9? I thought a nice long retractable one would be good.

View attachment 108523

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
I figured the clip on it would work for now. It would probably fit around it's neck, but not it's body or head.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I hate snakes, they creep the **** out of me.
I agree 100%. I have this really strange thing where when bad things are going down in my life, I have horrible dreams about snakes. First one, I fell out of a boat, got my foot caught in the rope and was being dragged and a moccasin came up on my chest.

Then there was the Indiana Jones style nightmares that were waking dreams that I was standing there (after having gone through a lamp and desk)....and they slowly faded out of sight as dream became reality.

Then, there was the time I walked straight through the corner of a table (epic shin scar).

Did reading and figured out when to identify the dream and that I had control. Hadn't had one in over a year and last week, I actually grabbed the snake from behind the head and handled it to protect someone else.

Who knew I was a "Dream Warrrriiiooorrrrrr"? :think:

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
Don't forget to weight the top of the terrarium. I've had a few friends who had runners because they didn't weight the top, even with small snakes.
This. There's about 10 snakes in our zoology lab and they all poke at the top of their tanks all the time. One time a ball python pushed a softball sized rock off the top of his tank in the middle of a lecture. Scared the chit out of everyone who wasn't watching :rofl: