Quantcast

Ridemonkey: New Stuff, Advertising and the State of the Union.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Stinkyboy generated more ill-will among more members than anyone since N8 posted in the PAWN forum. It's too bad because I genuinely liked the guy but I fought the good fight to keep him here (asked him to lay off, tried to settle arguments) and in the end, there were too many people that were frustrated and angry at his often unpleasant and nasty, often very personal attacks.

He's banned now.
There must be more sensitive ladies on this site than previously thought.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Just throwing this out there but I would be willing to pay a reasonable fee for an ad free RM membership.
I think there's a way to balance the ads without having to go ad-free.

Many of the ads on this site are straight shiit and cheapens the experience for members without adding any revenue. Make them relevant, authentic and integrated, and it will actually add to the experience and members will appreciate it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I think there's a way to balance the ads without having to go ad-free.

Many of the ads on this site are straight shiit and cheapens the experience for members without adding any revenue. Make them relevant, authentic and integrated, and it will actually add to the experience and members will appreciate it.
See my post above. Revenue isn't generated by click throughs; but by the fact that the ads are simply loaded when you view a page. The advertisers pay for impressions (page loads).

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Never saw the arguments & ill will from SB - guess I never took anything he said that seriously, or missed the threads that were problematic.

When is SB coming back? Anyone have his email?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
See my post above. Revenue isn't generated by click throughs; but by the fact that the ads are simply loaded when you view a page. The advertisers pay for impressions (page loads).
My understanding is that it's done both ways... but yes, impressions are part of it. What does that have to do with what I said?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
My understanding is that it's done both ways... but yes, impressions are part of it. What does that have to do with what I said?
:clue:

also:

Excuse my ignorance of internet advertising revenue but RM only gets paid if somebody clicks through the ad, correct?

Incorrect; we get paid on ad impressions.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
seriously, I would probably order a dozen waterbottles. My supply has slowly been dwindling as the bottles I acquired as a mechanic in college have either disappeared or gotten too gross to use.
I seem to have a large supply of the 20oz ones, but I'd like some 24oz ones too and I only have 1 of those (that's probably going to be tossed soon 'cause it's getting gross). Definitely have to go for the good ones though, I can't stand leaky bottles!!!

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Gotcha. Meant to say "value."
Anyway, all I'm going to say is that if this site is simply trying to drive pageviews up and doesn't do something about the quality, there will probably be an inverse effect.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Anyway, all I'm going to say is that if this site is simply trying to drive pageviews up and doesn't do something about the quality, there will probably be an inverse effect.
They're not trying to drive up page views necessarily; just profit from the page views they already have. If you've ever purchased web hosting space, bandwidth is expensive, and you have to get more than you need, lest the site get 500'd.

In regards to ad relevancy, they're working on it. Read this thread:

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229461

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Yeah, I hear you. I have a good idea what hosting costs are, and what it takes to run a forum of this size - I ran a similar one for 3 years (http://2ksports.com/forums/). I think the lowest-common denominator ad model just kinda sucks.

Hopefully more relevant ads will help.

Mr.Bishop

King of Beers
Jun 2, 2009
Montreal
Yeah, I hear you. I have a good idea what hosting costs are, and what it takes to run a forum of this size - I ran a similar one for 3 years (http://2ksports.com/forums/). I think the lowest-common denominator ad model just kinda sucks.

Hopefully more relevant ads will help.
The lowest common denominator ad model is complete crap - for sure! What it really serves as is a bridge to get us to where we're supposed to be. That place is highly relevant, bike-focused advertising that is of interest to the users.

Sure you can profit by driving up pageviews and using cheap advertising techniques... but in the long run you loose too much goodwill with users, and create an experience that isn't valuable to focused meaningful advertisers.

Thats sort of the best part, in a way its self-regulating because the long-term stable income comes from focused, meaningful advertising relationships. Those relationships come from a site that has a great, engaged and meaningful community... so in a way we can't get the long-term profits without making sure that the community is happy.

Building that balance is key. If you guys hate it, then its of no worth to anyone. If we use cheap techniques to boost ad revenue, then the advertisers don't want to come on board.

We'll always listen to you, and work with your suggestions instead of against them. Finding common ground between all sides creates a stable and long-lasting business.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
While we still have a lot of ad-network based advertisers, we're really trying to make the ads more bike-related. Direct sales are a slow process but we'll get there. <snip> Give us time and keep in mind that it keeps the site in business.
Believe me, we know how much the ad networks suck. But direct ad sales aren't easy - you need a dedicated person to be out there making contacts and making sales and until recently, that hasn't existed.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'd be happy with the following for a premium membership:

-unlimited rep to give
-mod powers on threads i start
-the ability to customize the order in which the forum lists show up (mentioned this before, but currently not supported by vBulletin. still just wanna throw it out there)
-ability to selectively hide other members avatars (some are annoying, also, i mostly post from work)
-ability to change my own custom title

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
I'd be happy with the following for a premium membership:

-unlimited rep to give
-mod powers on threads i start
-the ability to customize the order in which the forum lists show up (mentioned this before, but currently not supported by vBulletin. still just wanna throw it out there)
-ability to selectively hide other members avatars (some are annoying, also, i mostly post from work)
-ability to change my own custom title
you will get nothing, and like it.