Quantcast

RIDEMONKEY SCOOP :: New on-one Scandal SS sample

brant

Chimp
Nov 15, 2001

First sample, but we like it a lot. This design uses a bent seat tube to give a slacker seat angle with lots of tyre clearance. Slightly shorter chainstays and front centre, slacker head angle and longer effective top tube give a bike that responds great when in the saddle and flies uphill when you're out of the saddle.

We like a lot.

We're testing some more for a couple of weeks before we jump to production for this geometry (we may offer in DN6 chromoly steel as well/instead of the Scandal tubeset).

You saw it here first (well, you saw it first on the Choirmaster tyre thread, but it's not anywhere else on the web yet!).

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Thanks for breaking the news here Brant. That thing looks spot on to me!

Make it in Scandium and DN6 - I'm sure there would be strong interest in both types of tubing

Scandium in black and go back to the white in the DN6!!!

My Grimeca System 8s would work nice on a frame like that.

Would those type of angles allow a guy like me - a 5'9" tall guy who currently rides an 18" Inbred 29er fit okay on a 16" version of this frameset? Or would it just make an 18" fit me possibly that much better?

brant

Chimp
Nov 15, 2001
Would those type of angles allow a guy like me - a 5'9" tall guy who currently rides an 18" Inbred 29er fit okay on a 16" version of this frameset? Or would it just make an 18" fit me possibly that much better?
I would have sold you a 16in one if you were 5'9"...

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
I would have sold you a 16in one if you were 5'9"...
Let me know when you decide to get rid of your 18" ... seriously (I'm not just razzing you for being a bike whore).

brant

Chimp
Nov 15, 2001
Brant - what brand are those cranks? they look kind of interesting as well.
We had no SS cranks in 170mm (only some Truvativ Firex 175mm ones off some complete bikes). That crank is an FSA Gossamer Compact crankset, with the inner 34t ring moved to the outer position. I'm pleased it works so well - I'm only upset we didn't have any of the FSA SLK carbon cranks in Compact to try it with!

Clearance is a little tight with the shoulders that normally support the inner chainring on the crank, but Rich might shave those off it becomes problematic. I might try it with a Shimano R600 crank next time, but it seems a good option for light/stiff SS crank (well supported ring too).

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
We had no SS cranks in 170mm (only some Truvativ Firex 175mm ones off some complete bikes). That crank is an FSA Gossamer Compact crankset, with the inner 34t ring moved to the outer position. I'm pleased it works so well - I'm only upset we didn't have any of the FSA SLK carbon cranks in Compact to try it with!

Clearance is a little tight with the shoulders that normally support the inner chainring on the crank, but Rich might shave those off it becomes problematic. I might try it with a Shimano R600 crank next time, but it seems a good option for light/stiff SS crank (well supported ring too).
It definitely looks like a strong interface between crank arm and chainring (no real spider right?).

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
Damn Brant, between this and the new Inbred, you guys are on fire. I've now made two attempts at becoming an On One owner. Something tells me those won't be the last attempts either! cheers.

richpips

Chimp
Jun 6, 2007
I'm just back from a ride this evening. A bit of a muddy one at that.

As I suspected the kenda small block 8 on the rear was slip sliding all over. The Choirmaster Halo on the front was great though.

I love the ride though.

A big test coming this weekend it's first solo 24. Forecast is for rain, so I reckon it'll be a proper mud fest. I may run some cyclo cross tyres:biggrin:

richpips

Chimp
Jun 6, 2007
Hi Mark,

The bike completed it's first 24. Mud as expected, though not as much as first feared. Not a technical course, but tough on a fixie with over 1000 feet of climb a lap. The bike was ace, as were the cyclo cross tyres (1.2s)

More on my blog

richpips

Chimp
Jun 6, 2007
Skinny tyres cut through the mud down to the dryish stuff below, plus none of the mud build up like in this pic.

richpips

Chimp
Jun 6, 2007
Your right.

Yet you still have to keep the drivetrain cleanish if you want to avoid breaking teeth on your chainring as I did in a muddy 24 last year.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
That is true, but a lot less worriesome than that Blur right there.

Rich - check your Private Messages please.

or send me an email to mmcg25@gmail.com

I'd like to ask you a few more questions about your Scandal if you don't mind.

Thanks.

Mark