Quantcast

ridemonkey's languages

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
which monkey can speak the most different languages?

what are the languages ridemonkey users can speak?

how did you learn, has it, and does it help you in life?

Can we ask you how to say bike jargon/lingo in your other languages?

Yeti

Monkey
May 17, 2005
yeti cave@the beach
only speak 3: spanish, german and english
spanish, cause i'm from peru, german cause i'm half swiss and went to a german school and english cause...well, monkeys official language is english. and yes u can ask me how to talk bike in the local german dialect or in the peruvian bikin language.
cheers

Downhiller

Turbo Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
CROATIA....europe....CROATIA
english, croatian, serbian,bosnian,monte negro and little slovenian i more understand slovenian than i can speak...

ask me to say anything i will say on Croatian.. :)

all those countryes are around Croatia hehe, italy is also but i hate italyan and french

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
i speak english, malay, mandrin and hokkein.

english is my first language, malay and mandrin second/thrid, hokkien last.

most of my riding buddies in malaysia are chinese, so we speak in mandrin or hokkien, but for bike lingo its pretty much in english.

pdawg

Monkey
Feb 27, 2006
Espoo, Finland
I would have to give my vote for Kidwoo. His language skills are formidable. :monkeydance:

I only speak English, Finnish, and some German and Swedish learned from some instructional videos. :busted:

Finnish:

maastopyörä (fillari; sl.)- mountainbike
täysjoustorunko- full suspension frame
levyjarru- disc brake

Downhiller

Turbo Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
CROATIA....europe....CROATIA
are they not all like former "Serbo-Croatin"?
yes very similar but "serbo-croatian" are named only in coutryes which dont know anything about us or people who put that word "serbo-cro" is old and think we are still in YU ... and third thing is that changing that will be to much paperwork so why do that if you can put one word .. STUPID

croatian and serbian are two difrent languages, but bosnian and monte negro are between cro and serb.

slovenian is only difrent language but they understand us we understand them only difrent thing is when we speak we speak little difrent but still very similar like all slaven nations in EU

caballero

Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
good ol' europe
german because im from austria and some funny english (i hope you all understand my posts) :) and sometimes a little bit of spanish cause my girlfriend is chilean !

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
im native in norwegian and spanish, fluent in english and somewhat rusty in german, also can do some swedish and danish due to those videos mentioned above...

Strakar

Monkey
Nov 17, 2001
Portugal
I speak and write Portuguese English and Spanish fluently. I can speak French fluently too but I'm a bit rusty when it comes to the written language. I understand spoken Italian, but I cannot write it.

Portuguese is my native language, I had English for 9 years at school and 3 years of French. The Spanish language comes from the proximity, and from traveling frequently to Spain. The Italian part comes from being a Latin language, therefore with big similarities with Portuguese/Spanish/French, traveling to Italy made the rest.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I was a Mormon Missionary in Mexico so I learned a lot of Spanish. I still consider myself fluent but I really have to think about a lot of vocabulary that I've forgotten from not speaking Spanish in so long. At one point I struggled just the same with English vocabulary when I hadn't spoken English for months on end.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
hey heidi....explain the dog is loud and brown thing under ur avatar
hahaha - about a year ago I started learning German for our trip to the German speaking part of Switzerland. In some thread I was throwing that out as what I had learned so far...kind of a joke. And BAM, that got to be my custom title. Now if I can just learn how to say that in Czech too!

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
English, and some Italian and Spanish. Spanish has become much harder to speak since I learned Italian; about 75% of the time I'm trying to speak in Spanish, Italian words come out instead. Spanish is helpful because there is a large Spanish speaking population in California. Italian was helpful in Italy.

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
I speak english moderately well, write it much worse, but can understand it very well when spoken wor written.

I took five years of french and hardly remember a thing. However, if I spend a few days exclusively around a foreign language I begin to pick things up rather quickly. Without knowing anything prior I have been able to get by with German, Spanish, French, and Italian. I will admit that I am terrible with accents though.

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
English (native speaker)
Also fluent in Russian and Spanish (studied/lived in both Russia and Spain)
I'm rusty in German, but can still carry on a conversation and write a letter.
I speak "traveler's" French and Italian.
I speak "bar and restaurant" Finnish and Japanese (which is limited to ordering what I want, counting, and making change).
I've studied Chinese and Arabic, can still read and write, but my vocabulary is horrible.

My language knowledge has opened numerous doors, both for work and play.

I started studying language in college, because it seemed like a fun thing to do at the time. I found out I was good at it. Once you can speak one or two, the rest come much easier. As downhiller implied, if you know a root-based language, you can understand many other languages based off that language family (i.e., Slavic-based, or Latin-based languages). While travelling in Slovenia, I met two Croatians on the train. They did not speak Russian, and I did not speak Croatian. However, between my Russian and their Croatian, we had a nice little conversation.

I love how Europeans think I'm BS-ing them when I tell them I'm American... "You can't possibly be American! Americans don't speak (insert language here)!"

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
English, html, css

I've done Spanish at several schools, but I just can't get the verb/infinitive stuff. I can do numbers and colors (well, a while ago, not sure about now)

Oh, and the Lounge is taking over Downhill.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
spanish, turkish english know some british terms, and i could ask my dad how to say things in Kazak, Russian, Turkmen, Arabic and a couple other middle eastern ish, he goes therr for work.
Is your dad Borat?

LokiLopez

Monkey
Sep 7, 2005
London
(x)html, css, php, Mysql, asp, javascript, C, C++, C#, Java, ActionScript, xml, xslt, xsd... :think:

Fluent Portuguese(native) and english, had english almost all my live. Spanish from living in Spain for 6 months, still it comes pretty easy to us. I can understand Italian pretty well also since I lived with two italians.
French I can do if I have to!

Will learn German this year since I'm heading there next year! :thumb:

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
spanish. because thats the first language i was taught.

engligh? well, its pretty basic.
plus i went to college up in the US. useful? hell yes. i gotta speak english 90% of the time am at work.

then, some french, almost enough to get by in france. some hebrew, but barely enough to have a clue of what is being said. i definately want to learn some more though.
my spanish, while relatively primal as its on a high school level since i never took a grammar class after that, is quite versatile, i know the lingo from most countries.
and then i also speak fortran, html, basic.