Quantcast

riders need you help!! please sign this petition!

Apr 3, 2005
So. Dak.
So here in Yankton, my local town, biking has little respect. My main focus in all of this is the youth. They have nothing. Bikes are not allowed in the skatepark, and KIDS have been put in JAIL for riding bicycles in the park. That's ridiculous!
At the other end of the spectrum, we have several kids 16-20 y.o. with sponsors, who do local shows and demos who also have no legit or visible place to ride. Can only get so good riding black market trails that get 'fixed" by unknowing kids on Huffys every Saturday. Everyone's tired of it and I feel the scene is about to die completely.

Here is the online petition:http://www.petitiononline.com/DJ57078/petition.html

Please sign it IF you feel like it is a good idea and would be used. Thanks!
This will put cycling above ground and on the map as an actual sport around here. May open a few doors we all want unlocked...

Apr 3, 2005
So. Dak.
you obviously are the idiot here. kids HAVE been arrested for riding not only fat tires in the parks but bmx bikes as well. so you can see that we are desperate for something to change. we really dont have anything at all for bikes around here thats legit. how can you as a biker have such little repect for what my friends, local riders, and i are trying to do here? it must be too difficult for your little brain to realize that things are different here, and i was only nicely asking for some support. so fvck off and go land on your head. we dont need ignorant comments left about this. see around here we dont take things for granted and biking is important to those of us that do it.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
Maybe he doesn't think bikes belong in skate parks? Or doesn't believe a child would be sent to jail for the sole offense of riding in a skate park?

By the way, what makes you think officials in your home town care about what a bunch of internet people think?

I'm not trying to bring you down but, you really need local voters to sign a real petition. you need to spell out exactly what you want. Public officials aren't going to give you a chunk of land and assume a ton of liability for a nebulous bike park. If they allow it to be built they are going to be in part liable for what goes on there. If some noob breaks his/her neck they are going to be sued. They are going to need to see something solid, before they sign on the dotted line.

We had a similar situation in chandler, and it took local pressure to make changes.

Apr 3, 2005
So. Dak.
well thats much more respectible criticism, so thanks.
we really arent looking for something huge, but i can see where you're coming from. i guess you just have to be in my shoes to know exactly what is going on. but for now this is our first effort, and if a little internet petition cant get going, then biking might as well just be nonexsistent where i live.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
I'm not trying to discourage you, it can be done, but it's going to take some local pressure from people elected officials have to be afraid of. Namely voters. You might also try to compile some other facts to help your case, maybe you can show reduced crime rates when kids have something to do. Show the low cost of building the freeride park, get some community involvement.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
yeah put in Jail, your an idiot....

Congrats, you're the winner of the jack ass of the day award. I'm the writer of that petition, and YES, they hold CHILDREN in JAIL for one hour or until their parents come for riding their bicycles in the skatepark. They are calling it "intent of destruction to city property". I was close to getting this DJ park up and running last year before a local bicycle shop owner decided to hijack my proposal and brought it before the board prematurely and without the information that I had. So now, I get to try to change the minds of officials who see no need for it, rather than simply propose a well thought out plan. I've waited a year, a few new board members have been elected in that see things differently than the old school fellas and I'm going to try again. I've got several companies to donate dirt and equipment(sorta, need more) and I really only need to show them that it won't be a waste of time.
Ironically, we've already covered the liability facter-they said it's not an issue, like a measley $500 for insurance yearly. Covered the issue of it getting used or not, and they replied with "if it's just dirt, we would only need to plow it over." And then we talked about the location and they have a 2 acre lot that they can't do anything with that is along a creek covered by trees. WHY HASN'T THIS ALREADY BEEN BUILT???? They didn't have an answer. I just need to show them that this is done in other citys and with good results.
So thanks for the highly intellectual input "mastercycleman" but you're an ass and your "help" is not needed here.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
I just read the USEFUL input after masterass' input and you guys all make points that I hopefully responded to. Liabiltiy, location, and frequency of use aren't even issues they bring up. They just seem to want to know if they will be able to drive by the park and see a bunch of laughing children. When I got frustrated at it's failure to progress, I tried to lightly bring to light the fact that they are technically allowing criminal discrimination by denying bicyclists in a skatepark, and NOT providing them with a dedicated ride spot, as stated by SPAusa.com, and they only got slightly defensive, stating that they even already knew that, they're just playing the ignorance card. And then I was quickly informed that going that route would get me nowhere with them. So I'm just going to keep that in my back pocket for now.
As for what it's like where I live...I'm 34 on a bicycle. I've had my co workers tell me that they try to get their kids off bicycles by the time they can drive cause it's "just a little childish.." THAT'S what it's like here. You won't find a lot of bike racks in my town. So the city wants it, but the people don't get it. Kind of a bizzaro town, eh?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Thing is, by posting this outside of a region specific forum, you're invalidating the petition... kind of like ballot box stuffing.

Only constituents should voice an opinion.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
As for what it's like where I live...I'm 34 on a bicycle. I've had my co workers tell me that they try to get their kids off bicycles by the time they can drive cause it's "just a little childish.." THAT'S what it's like here. You won't find a lot of bike racks in my town. So the city wants it, but the people don't get it. Kind of a bizzaro town, eh?
I've lived in the southwest most my life, where for a small but significant number of people bicycling is a way of life. Kids ride year around, I even bike commute a couple of days a week(schedule permitting). I find it wierd that in an age where kids are growing up obese society in most of the country portrays cycling as infantile. Your plans sound pretty solid and if you keep up the efforts I'm think you have a good chance of getting the bike park you want.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Thing is, by posting this outside of a region specific forum, you're invalidating the petition... kind of like ballot box stuffing.

Only constituents should voice an opinion.

I agree with your point, but my bud posted it on here for a few reasons. One prob for some decent input and support to hear we may be doing it right. Second, there are people within driving distance of us that would come to ride. I live in the MIDWEST. South Dakots, if you know where that is! Anything sweet to ride within 8 hours is a normal and expectd drive for us. Hell, if nothing else happens out of this, I hope you all begin to appreciate even more the quality of riding you have and may not be aware of! Here's an example: There are LITERALLY less than one dozen aggressive mtn bikers in South Dakota. And I even mean the kind that might drop the seat down to bar level once every summer. I can count the number of bikes on one hand that I've seen pass through my town without reflectors on the wheels, and I've chased them all down and invited them to come ride. The thing is, the people my age or a bit younger that I talk to about it seem like they may be interested in trying, but it's not in the public eye so know one knows! I've got pirated trails around and renegade stunts, but can't just go inviting Joe Jackson and his Roadmaster to come hit up the new 30' gapper over a gully when they've never seen a bike catch air before. Whoa...got a little off track! Rant mode off:
So anywho... people in our area ARE on this board, they WOULD be willing to drive here, we just gotta make it known. We are trying to set up a midwest riders forum as we speak to connect us all and make our presence known. That will help a LOT. Pretty hard to convince people that it's a popular sport, even around here, when the kids can't show off their skills, or the jumps they're proud of, when they know the second they do, the jumps will all get torn down. And for NO apparent reason! Ignorance.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
OH, and also, if you'll look at the little phrase right above the signature box, where it says who can or can't sign... it says something like "who can sign: People who will actually ride in this park..." Not stuffing. So far, all the sigs are actuall known riders, from within my area. And most of them are XC types, so this could get cool.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Mastercycleman: No one else here asked you to run your stupid mouth, don't fugging PM me with stupid crap again. You ran your mouth in open forum once, keep it where everyone can see it. Chickensh*t punk. Next time you could just pass me a note in study hall or something.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Hey, check it out Thrillseeker...he called you an idiot and used the word "your" instead of "you're". That's pretty funny.
Yeah, but I are kinda dum.
Hey, you're the perfect example of why this thread is here! You're(your?) like, what... 5 hrs from me? And you'd come up to ride these things in a flash...as well as to hit my renegade stuffs, of course! Gotta see our new yum-yum...12' stepdown to approx 18' tall wall ride. Gotta rework the boot to the wall...but I think I touched it once...

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
"NTW, your moms a thrill seeker aswell, we had plenty of thrills in bed..."

This is the last PM I got from our boy genius. He's just full of wit...or something. Keep sendin' em stud, I'll post em all up. I'm also really sorry to hear the hottest date you've ever had was my 60 year old mom. No wonder you have so much anger and self hatred.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Corey, delete this thread, this isn't the atmosphere we want surrounding our park.
Mastercyclechild, stick to basket weaving. Every time you open your cockholster you prove your just an immature little girl and please don't think I wouldn't smack a mouthy little girl.
wow, that's just as mature as mastercyclewhatever.

You say you're 34? He's 16 yo. You're threatening a minor.

Yes, delete this thread.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
seriously dude, calm down. He might be a dick, but no reason to stoop to his level, yeah?

you're one of the last people on this board who should be commenting on who's a dick and who's not.

you label others at the drop of a hat without any rational thought process whatsoever.

go shovel your driveway.

Apr 3, 2005
So. Dak.
ok first of all, this isnt the first petition thats been on ridemonkey. thanks for those of you that show your support. i understand the fact of how it would be better to have a real written petition, but like i said this is just one of our first little steps and alot of you dont know what exactly is going on. i just wanted some positive feedback, ideas, and maybe a couple of signatures from people that understand. i didnt know people could be so f*cking hostile towards something they "supposidly" love to do. everyone that posts something totally off subject and disrespects from this point on, then tall cans in the air to you. go die or something.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
wow, that's just as mature as mastercyclewhatever.

You say you're 34? He's 16 yo. You're threatening a minor.

Yes, delete this thread.

Uh...Yeah. That's why it was EDITED. Wow, you kids friends? Wait...don't answer that, denial may save you some face. And I wasn't threatening...I was promising.

dirtyamerican

Monkey
Jan 15, 2005
at my own freeride trail
Let's take a look at who the d*** is here...

Corey makes a post about a petition for a future riding venue.

Mastercycleman calls Corey an idiot.

Hmm, therefore......that does, in fact, make Mastercycleman a?

_______

(Wait a second. I did make fun of mastercycleman's intelligence. I guess I should be considered as a possible d*** too.) I'm just glad I have proficient communication skills.

On a serious note...

Don't be such a hater. We all ride bikes.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
On a GOOD note, I'll know a bit more on the progress of this on Wednesday morning as it goes before the Parks board as a preliminary on Tuesday. The parks head said she already has 5 possible places that this park would work great in. Not bad.

Now no more f*cking negative. This is hard enough.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I'm glad you guys are doing somthing about trying to get riding in your (yep, that's the right one) area, we are trying to do the same here. Good Luck! I'm not signing your petition, because I don't live there, and would never come there from Virginia, but good idea to get it publicly known.

P.S. This thread is toooooo funny!