Quantcast

Riding a FS or Hardtail ?

Riding a FS or hardtail for XC racing?

• Full suspension

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • Hardtail

Votes: 23 39.7%
  • I have both & pick one for the course!

Votes: 15 25.9%

• Total voters

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I am about to put together another hardtail for XC. However, if money is not an issue, I would definitely ride a FS bike. The weights are very close now, and most pedal very efficiently today, possibly better on the rough climbs.

I think the biggest problem with hardtails is the aluminum ones, the most common today, rattle your teeth. The last time I rode 4 hours on one, albeit a heavy DJ model, I felt more sore than 12 hours on my Ti road bike.

Jeff P.

Monkey
Nov 13, 2006
East Bay, Ca
Ive got an alum. access hardtail and it is great but i agree with sanjuro that they beat the ever living piss out of you. After about 4 or 5 hours in the saddle i am shot. Im currently scrounging money to pick up this guy's heckler to build up for a weekend bike, but im hoping to be able to hold on to my HT for racing and really technical rides.
JP

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I don't race XC anymore. I ride a Stumpjumper FSR, 5" front and rear, 28.5lbs. Obviosly not a race bibke, but it climbs great. A lot of the climbing here is pretty rough. I've had a lot of hardtails and like Sanjuro said, they can be pretty fatiguing. On my Stumpy I feel fine on long rides and don't pay for it the next day.

BrokenChain

Monkey
Oct 26, 2001
NWCT
I've been rocking my Giant XtC1 for going on 3 years now, and I don't see myself switching anytime soon. I had ridden various aluminum hardtails before, and was never bothered too much by the way they rode. After trying out my bike with a carbon rear end, and carbon post, I can't believe how long I suffered with what I had.

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
i have both. hardtail w/ carbon stays for smooth courses and short track races. carbon Giant NRS for everything else. i am considering sellin the hardtail because the NRS is down to 24 lbs. and it pedals great. besides, its much cheaper to maintain one bike instead of two

UNHrider

Monkey
Apr 20, 2004
Epping, NH
when i was racing id ride my old aluminum cannondale till i cracked the frame... since then ive gotten a fully and my body loves me. however i am in the process of building the new cannondale frame i got back from warranty. just have to decide if i want to fix my headshok i keep blowing out or find a lefty somewhere.

if i were to have just one, id go for a fully. but i guess it really depends what type of trails you are riding

~matt

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
hmm what i guess i meant to say is if money isnt an issue definetly go for a FS because its completely worth it but istarted out with a hardtail and upgraded to a FS and the FS is simply a much more comfortable ride
even with those brakes?

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
i wish i had my fs built up when i did the xc race at the mt snow nationals. that course was brutal, thank god i at least was on a ti hardtail. i would've died on an aluminum.

SnowMongoose

Chimp
Mar 1, 2007
Bellingham, WA
I ride a hardtail, but that's due to a combination of lack of funds and no real need for FS... I don't hit anything gnarly enough to warrant it.
but mostly my being poor.

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
I've got a FS ride now but will be getting a hard-tail soon. It's what I started riding on and would like to have it for some of the easier trails.

FBTMILF

Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
Colorado
I ride a FS. It was expensive and I'm still paying for it but it's defidently worth it. The ride is so much better in my opinion on a FS bike. I rode one of our team bikes, all of them are hard tails, and I hated it. I had no faith in it. I was scared to bomb downhills on it. I have the Jamis XCR Pro now and I love it. Had to sell my old bike to pay for half of it.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
FS for me. Started on a Fuel, then moved to a KHS XC904r(which I have now), but I'm hoping to get a carbon Rush for this season :brows:

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
HT for me, this after a few years on FS exclusively. I do find myself more beat up if the trail is really brutal, but I like the all around ride better. For the kind of riding I do, a light FS frame just isnt going to last, but a somewhat light steel HT frame will.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I have to say full suspension. I am making climbs on my 25lb ht that I rarely make on my 30lb fs bike, but I descend like a first time rider on my ht.

However, I setup my ht with flat bars and bar ends, where the fs bike is using a XC riser. I am probably going to switch the flat bar with the riser and see the difference.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I rode hardtails since pretty much the beginning of mtb, and I still have one for urban/dj/silliness, but for trail riding I'm all about the FS. Yeah I give up a little weight, and standing climbing takes a little more finesse, but those are small prices to pay for better traction and less fatigue. I did a 7 hour mtb ride on Saturday. I probably would not have made it halfway on a hardtail, and that is not because the trails were so gnarly.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Older steel XC hardtails are the way to go.
Agreed, well kinda.

My 2000 Dean 853 sees the most action out of my current stable. Even though I may not be the fastest on that bike, the ride quality makes it my alpha. However, I also have a 2003 Sycip made out of Columbus something. Even though it's a steel frame, the ride quality isn't on the same level as my Dean. I have no problem taking my Turner out for a ride over the Sycip if that says something.

wreckedrex

Monkey
Feb 8, 2007
Fremont, CA
I picked up a used Heckler a couple weeks ago and I don't think I'll be going back. I plan to keep my cheap-o Access hardtail for a loaner/spare/something different to ride, but the heckler is going to be my main rig.

Dan

Old_Dude

Monkey
Bought my first f/s bike in about five years. My last bike was a Fuel 90 w/discs. My new bike is a Stumpjumper Comp. It's . . . wow . . . at 48 years old, I'm hoping my back will appreciate the new bike after long rides.

Still love my other two fully rigid bikes though - very light & they each climb like billy goats on crack.

I'm not used to hearing that "squish" sound from the front fork - guess I won't notice it after a while.

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
I'm still undecided what my final ultimate bike will be.. Right now i have a Trek6700 rigid geared hardtail..Which is an aluminum frame.
Santa Cruz BLUR looks good.!!!!

Mar 26, 2007
New Zealand
I'm on a hardtail, a Kona Caldera. I've never tried a full sus, and if I do I may hate my Kona, lol. But I'll be riding a full sus if I get a chance to ride at diablo while I'm on holiday in the states.

hardtails do cause a bit more bruising downhill ... but I did our national downhill course on my hardtail last weekend .... errr well didn't "ride" the whole thing, but I made it down alive :clapping:

I reckon your skill level is better if you learn on a hardtail, so I'm using that excuse ... oh and full sus bikes weight a lot ... I'm only 99pounds so I won't be able to push a heavy bike uphill!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Partially inspired by my hardtail purchase, a buddy put a rigid fork on his single speed. While he able to descend well, I think the pain is starting to convince him to go back to the Blur.