Quantcast

Riding again after 4 years, Giant DH Comp 2002?

gubro30

Chimp
Dec 9, 2008
Hi there!! Used to hang a lot on these forums 4-5 years ago, and used to ride a Stinky Deelux with DangerboyCNCplates, Stratos S7 up front, Atom Lab wheels, etc. SOld everything in 2004 I think and totally got out of riding.

Then, last summer, test rode a Scott DH/FR and frankly got interested in riding again!

I'm being offered what I think is a super deal on a 2002 Giant DH Comp, from a friend, that's in pristine condition. Bearings/bushings are brand new and every suspension bolt is new and loc-tited. Shock seems fine, but I can't remember what those RS Pro Deluxe DH shocks were like performance and reliability wise. I'm getting the wheelset with Hadley rear hub and Singlewide rims I believe, with the JR-T Fork which I remember not liking at all because of the way it would spike on high speed hits. All of this for 500$!

Now what do you think? I would immediately replace the fork with something more DH-worthy. I liked the Dorado back then - what about reliability? THere are several for sale right now for almost nothing $.

I don't do drops, I like going fast!

Thanks for your opinion!

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
Sounds like a good deal to me.

Dorados are nice but one reason they are cheap is there is no more support for them. No parts nothing.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Thats actually a real good deal. Dont look down on the junior T as a bad fork, fifty buck worth of stuff, and a little time and its onehell of a fork. Also you can always get the Super T internals for it and make it a cheap super T. The RS DH was a simple, but effective shock, check the size, you might be able to use one of the 5th elements that are being sold by SC for 25 bucks for a quick upgrade

gubro30

Chimp
Dec 9, 2008
Thats actually a real good deal. Dont look down on the junior T as a bad fork, fifty buck worth of stuff, and a little time and its onehell of a fork. Also you can always get the Super T internals for it and make it a cheap super T. The RS DH was a simple, but effective shock, check the size, you might be able to use one of the 5th elements that are being sold by SC for 25 bucks for a quick upgrade
Tell me more about that please :) I remember about drilling holes in the bottom of the open cartridges to make the oil flow easier, but what about your suggestion?

And where can I get a 5th element shock for 25$!?!? I think the company went bankrupt right? Are they somewhat reliable or total piece of junk?

ANd I'm glad to be back! :)

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Tell me more about that please :) I remember about drilling holes in the bottom of the open cartridges to make the oil flow easier, but what about your suggestion?

And where can I get a 5th element shock for 25$!?!? I think the company went bankrupt right? Are they somewhat reliable or total piece of junk?

ANd I'm glad to be back! :)
Yeah the drilling the holes it what I was talking about.

Go to Santacruz.com They are blowing out the 8.75x2.75 5th element shocks with a 400 lb spring, It is confirmed, I have mine sitting mext to me now.

Progressive didnt go bk, they just stopped making Mtn bike shocks

Here isd the direct link

http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=25_72&products_id=188

Last edited:

gubro30

Chimp
Dec 9, 2008
The original RS is 9X2.75, so it's a no-go I guess eh....? Apparently there is enough room to allow for full travel, but that would fudge up the geometry right?

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I am in the same boat. I haven't really ridden in 3-4 years, maybe once each year. I now have 2 bikes sitting in my garage and have always kept them because it's hard to get rid of things, even if it was given some time off.

My DH sled is a 2003 Intense M1. Sure it has a Shiver fork and 5th element shock, and the parts aren't the newest or greatest, but at this point it's a bike and I'll ride it. I think it was hard for me personally because I had gained a lot of weight (up to 240lbs+), now I'm down to 190-195 so it's a LOT easier to do things like riding. Too bad all my gear is currently setup for a big guy. I'm in the process of getting a new helmet and possibly body armor and giving this another go.

That coupled with the recent fires here and lack of riding due to that makes it hard as well. I know things will get better though. Just gotta find some buddies to ride with on a consistent basis and all is good.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
The original RS is 9X2.75, so it's a no-go I guess eh....? Apparently there is enough room to allow for full travel, but that would fudge up the geometry right?
In wouldnt just fudge the geo, it would destry it. YOur wheel will end up hitting the frame , pretty hard actually.

If you know someone who is a decent machineist, you can try to have them make up a shock shuttle, that could possible work.

Or, you could call up Rock shox, and see if they still offere service for the shock coming off the bike, possibly Push, maybe they can do something pretty cool with it.

Still either way your looking at a really good deal on a bike there, If I were you I would jump on it before its gone.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
I am in the same boat. I haven't really ridden in 3-4 years, maybe once each year. I now have 2 bikes sitting in my garage and have always kept them because it's hard to get rid of things, even if it was given some time off.

My DH sled is a 2003 Intense M1. Sure it has a Shiver fork and 5th element shock, and the parts aren't the newest or greatest, but at this point it's a bike and I'll ride it. I think it was hard for me personally because I had gained a lot of weight (up to 240lbs+), now I'm down to 190-195 so it's a LOT easier to do things like riding. Too bad all my gear is currently setup for a big guy. I'm in the process of getting a new helmet and possibly body armor and giving this another go.

That coupled with the recent fires here and lack of riding due to that makes it hard as well. I know things will get better though. Just gotta find some buddies to ride with on a consistent basis and all is good.

Dont laugh at me for saying this, but if you can, get a Romic for that bad boy, excellent combination to have. The 5th isnt a bad shock at all, but it just has too many adjustments for such a simple suspension system. I have ridden both on an M1 the Romic is way Better feel to it on that sled.

Or, send your 5th to Avy like I will do with mine after I kill it.

Old_Sckool

Monkey
Jun 5, 2007
Adrian over at Cortina bikes can service the rear shock for you. I think he can even custom valve it.

He did mine, back when I had a Cortina DH8. They ran them regularly on the DH8. He felt it was a great shock, despite it's rep. I never had a problem with mine.

Hippietech Suspension can probably handle it for you also.

mammothpunks

Chimp
Sep 27, 2004
Mammoth
the 8.75 shock is doable - it just lowers the bb and linkage a little bit. I my friend has his set up like that and doesn't have any problems. I am still riding an 03 dh team. The dorado is a nice fork you you rebuild it every now any then (there is a great writeup in one of the tech forums that shows and tells you everything) I wouldn't pick up a dorado newer than 03 - pretty sure that is the last good model before they put in the SPV crap

drt_jumper

Monkey
May 20, 2003
Manassas Va
In wouldnt just fudge the geo, it would destry it. YOur wheel will end up hitting the frame , pretty hard actually.

If you know someone who is a decent machineist, you can try to have them make up a shock shuttle, that could possible work.

Or, you could call up Rock shox, and see if they still offere service for the shock coming off the bike, possibly Push, maybe they can do something pretty cool with it.

Still either way your looking at a really good deal on a bike there, If I were you I would jump on it before its gone.
I have an 05 DH Team that I am running that exact shock on 5th 8.75x2.75 and it works flawlessley. I does lower the bottom bracket slightly but if your looking to race and not huck the thing like an idiot then it will work out great for you.

gubro30

Chimp
Dec 9, 2008
Well I just grabbed the bike :)!

...and 40cm of fresh snow just fell here! I'll be riding my skis and my Yamaha Attack GT before the Giant but at least I can spend the whole winter buying parts and fiddling around with it, just like back in the days!

I ordered the shock, hell, for 38$ shipped even if it's not perfect it's not that bad eh!

Can I use the spring that's on the RS shock actually or it won't fit on the 5th? 400lbs is that roughly what I need for a 180lbs guy on that bike with that leverage ratio?

Thanks guys!!!!!