Quantcast

Riding DH in Vermont... In January (pics)

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
The weather machine is broken.

No snow = DH bikes in Jan.

** EDIT: Not sure why I could only add 5 pics?
Here are the rest from Flickr
feel free to post them below if you know how DH - a set on Flickr

Cheers

6681511051_bbb4b65d54_b.jpg6681515465_1a1b85d812_b.jpg6681521335_8e6dd45edc_b.jpg6681525975_dfab9e3af8_b.jpg6681530979_78964d6c5d_b.jpg

Last edited:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
awesome - we need more of this in here, less BS. I can't believe you have conditions like that, here in PA its been a super mild winter we are riding as much as ever but it's sloppy going...

:thumb:

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Please explain the gravel staircase and how it ties into a DH trail.

Oh, and thank you for not including shirtless hot tub pics.
Face it Butch, you're just not as clever as you sound in your own head. And that last comment is going on what, 4 years now?

You can probably stop obsessing, we all know who the most masculine heterosexual member of ridemonkey is now; as well as the fat kid who had to wear his t-shirt in the pool growing up.

theBigHeezy

Chimp
Oct 23, 2006
Salt Lake $hitty, UT
it has been a great year for winter riding. glad to have a trail bike this year, otherwise i would be bored with the subpar snowboarding.

where is that trail, i dont recognize it from our regular northern vt trail networks?

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
VT has snow. According to the NWS some areas are up to a foot and the mountains probably more.

Scroll to the bottom
http://www.nemba.org/forums/showthread.php?24779-Weather-Station

I'm always amazed how much snow Franconia Notch in NH gets (the orange spot). I've seen on a few occasions where there was no snow just a few miles outside the notch but inside it was 2' deep at the bottom and 5'+ further up the mountains. I went snowshoeing there last year and it was just like that. When we got less than halfway up the way up Cannon (the shorter side by 1000') the broken in trail ended. We tried to find it but the snow was so light and deep that I couldn't walk in it even with 30" snowshoes. We had to turn back.

Last edited:

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
Nice shots.

East coast is killing for winter bike riding. We've been riding steady (xc and DH) here in Nova Scotia (Canada). I've been kinda hoping for snow so some sick shoeing can go down.

cheers

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Dear davetrump, please uncork that stick from up your arse and lighten up.

I was serious about the staircase. What is that thing? Pretty high dollar to be part of just any old trail.

As for the shirtless quote, I haven't talked to you in 4 years, so how would I have any new jokes. :clue:

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
I was serious about the staircase. What is that thing? Pretty high dollar to be part of just any old trail.
It is a fairly popular hiking trail that doesn't get used in spring or winter much. There is also a paved road up it that causes some drainage issues into the woods. The stair case wasn't there the last time I rode it, but after the weather this past year I am guessing the old trail washed out in that section.

If was definitely hard packed (frozen) with some loose dust on top and the occasional patch of ice

first time I have ridden DH in January up here. The photos were just for the excuse to play with a camera since I have never shot action before

Last edited:

offtheedge

Monkey
Aug 26, 2005
LB
Snow drought is bitter sweet ehhh? Cool to be riding but I hope this doesn't rear it's ugly head this summer.

Nice shots BTW.