Quantcast

Riding in Auburn, CA

DsDhBxracer13

Monkey
Feb 18, 2004
Burlington, Vermont
So I am 99" sure I am moving out to the Auburn area this fall to go to school. One of my main concerns is that I want to make sure that there is great riding, say withing 30 minutes of there. I'm from Burlington, VT and we have tons for great riding, trails, DH, jumps, etc, and lift access within about 2 hours. I race semi-pro DH, but am hoping there are trails of all sort, XC/Trail stuff, DH shuttles, lift access, jumps, etc. If some people could confirm that there is a wealth of riding in the area that would be most appreciated. Also I am moving out there with 3-4 other guys, and we are going to be renting a house. I was looking at some in Rocklin, anybody have any suggestions on the best place to live. Thanks for the help and suggestions.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
DsDhBxracer13 said:
So I am 99" sure I am moving out to the Auburn area this fall to go to school. One of my main concerns is that I want to make sure that there is great riding, say withing 30 minutes of there. I'm from Burlington, VT and we have tons for great riding, trails, DH, jumps, etc, and lift access within about 2 hours. I race semi-pro DH, but am hoping there are trails of all sort, XC/Trail stuff, DH shuttles, lift access, jumps, etc. If some people could confirm that there is a wealth of riding in the area that would be most appreciated. Also I am moving out there with 3-4 other guys, and we are going to be renting a house. I was looking at some in Rocklin, anybody have any suggestions on the best place to live. Thanks for the help and suggestions.
I don't think there is any decent riding within 2 hours of Auburn. Except for Northstar, Downieville, Folsom, and, oh, yeah, Auburn.

DsDhBxracer13

Monkey
Feb 18, 2004
Burlington, Vermont
Guys I am looking for a straight answer here. I'm not looking for you guys to give me some bull**** reply. I live on the other side of the country and I have heard there is great riding, and that there is actually nothing really within 2 hours of Auburn, so what's the deal.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
I wouldn't worry about not having enough places to ride. You're only a few hours away from Tahoe and the Bay Area. At Tahoe there's Northstar that has lifts and a lot of cool trails with a ton of rocks. There's also Mammoth a few more hours away. In the other direction the Bay Area has some good DH singletrack, but most of it isn't exactly legal. Then there's Auburn which has a lot of riding from what I hear. I think Randy Spangler lives there.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Dude, chill out. There is plenty to keep your weekdays occupied in Aurburn. I promise. You will spend your weekends in Tahoe and Downieville if you have the $, as the trails out there are rather epic. I moved halfway accross the world without any idea of how the trails would be. There are trails everywhere, it just matters how you chose to enjoy them. If you are coming with other riders, then no matter what, you'll find plenty to ride and have a great time. Welcome to the west!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I should also point out that I moved to Northern California without too much knowledge about the trails. I had read about Downieville and Northstar, but I didn't even have the skills to ride there yet.

It was a big mystery but it worked out great for me.

Zach Dank

Turbo Monkey
Jun 28, 2005
Gnarcal
Me and my hommies ride in aubs every once in a while. There is some fun $hit there. Here is a couple shots from there.

speedster

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Take it easy for a minute...and read what these guys are saying. They are not bs-ing you. There is great riding in Auburn, it's called the Auburn Ravine and it's right in town. Many local riders from that area including Sacramento ride there all the time. There is everything from Pro level DH runs which you can shuttle all day long, very easy access, to epic xc rides that will give you enough climbing to hate California. Take our word for it, you'll love the riding in that area and it's right in your backyard. As for more options, like everyone else said Northstar and Downieville are relatively close and are great places to ride too. I rode there multiple times a week for 2 years when I lived in sac before I went to college and trust me you'll won't be dissapointed.

1soulrider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2002
nor cal
Lots of good riding. If you like rocky challenging trails, we've got a few. Great trail riding in the river canyons and a Moto park that offers decent dh runs. In the summer there's Northstar of course and Downieville within an hour and a half drive. Sandhill has Nice dual and MTX courses, and there are a number of dirt jump spots around. Rocklin is a good spot to be, but I'd pick Auburn if I were you. If you end up here PM me and I'll show you around.

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
I live here in Citrus Heights-about 20mins from Auburn. I run City Bicycle Works and am involved with regular rides and the Prairie City XC series, a local grass roots no prizes just fro fun race series that is attended by some of the worlds best athletes. There is DH, freeride, xc, epic trail riding and race series for all of the above. It's such a good scene here you will be amazed. Good to have you. The best places to live are totally relative to what it is you need. Roseville is good but Auburn is the best in my opinion. Where are you going to school? What are you looking for in budget etc.? PM me for more specific info and I'll do my best to help. H

DsDhBxracer13

Monkey
Feb 18, 2004
Burlington, Vermont
Guys thanks. Heath, not postitive where I am going to school yet. Either Sac State, or Sierra College. As far as a housing budget if that if what you are wondering, I am moving out there with 3-4 other guys, and it seems you can get a 4-5 bedroom house for anywhere from $1400-$2000. Also I'm planning on buying a motocross bike when I get out there. Is there good moto riding in the area as well? Thanks again.

Yeti DHer

I post here but I'm still better than you
Sep 7, 2001
The Foothills
Sierra is just like highschool... Only difference is old people and ciggarettes... but the riding around here is superb, especially in the summer

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
That's a great idea about residency. Makes a nice dent in the budget for sure. Sierra is just like any other college, you get credits and transfer to what you want. I think its a good idea. As for housing, there is a ton. If you need to come out for a weekend to look let me know we have a guest bedroom. Moto riding all kinds in the hills of cool and auburn. My friends have private tracks and kill it. Not to mention hangtown is 15 mins away. H