Quantcast

Riding Music...

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
I'm trying to improve the flow of my riding style... I think music with a good flowy beat will really help so does anyone have any suggestions?

other things ive been doing (besides almost doubling my riding time) is watching lots of movies like nwd series, roam, and cranked series, and also focusing on handling the bike better. is there anything else I can do to improve flow?

ZenkiGarage

Monkey
Jan 9, 2007
Portland, Or
Ride... Just keep riding. Mimicking someone elses style wont always make your self smoother. Just being comfortable with what you're doing will make you smooth.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
Theres a bit of a problem there... honestly, i'm faster than all of my riding buddies. I'm an xc convert and i ride about twice as much as my buddies. But every time i see a group on the trail that looks better than me, i do tack on and it really seems like the best way to learn...
Come out to the clemson race this april and practice with some of the local pros. Not doubting how fast you are, just trying to present an oppurtunity.

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
Come out to the clemson race this april and practice with some of the local pros. Not doubting how fast you are, just trying to present an oppurtunity.
Yeah i've been trying to get down to a couple of college races... I'm a junior in high school and i'm working on improving as much as i can over the next year so i can enter competitively in college (lees mcrae or appalachian)

And i'm not saying i ride amazingly fast or anything, but i ride with highschool kids who don't put any effort into anything they do...

tfree120

Chimp
Jun 11, 2007
Towson
Yeah i've been trying to get down to a couple of college races... I'm a junior in high school and i'm working on improving as much as i can over the next year so i can enter competitively in college (lees mcrae or appalachian)

And i'm not saying i ride amazingly fast or anything, but i ride with highschool kids who don't put any effort into anything they do...
I know what that's like. The only time I ride with kids from my high school is when I'm just goofing around on the street. Most of the time I'm riding with people in their 20's and 30's. I find it a lot more fun and I've have gotten a lot faster. I'd just say find some older guys to ride with. Maybe there are some shop group rides around you.

jsk14

Chimp
Jan 13, 2009
GVRD
-lean forward, and try to pump everything
-try to brake before turns, and gain speed out of a corner
-look far ahead, this way you will naturally lay off the brakes more.
-ride ride ride.
-tune your suspension for different terrain, and understand how your bike works.

LeRoy

Monkey
Apr 11, 2002
Wellington - NZ
To go back to your initial question... I do find that the right tunes help me out in certain situations. Whether snowboarding, DH riding or park riding, my soundtrack is an important part of my day. That being said, if I had to whittle my playlist down to a single selection that I feel I've progressed listening to under all three aforementioned disciplines, it is Girl Talk. Something about the outlaw, mashup attitude of GirlTalk fires me up. GirlTalk is like crack to a music junkie. It's all the club bangers mixed with indie-favs. It can appease the masses or quell the snobs. Get on it.

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
World Cup DH racers are better bike handlers than almost all the top "freeride" pros. Watch DH race videos. I like Alex Rankin's "Earthed" series and Clay Porter's videos (Synopsis, Hypnosis, Between the Tape, F1RST).