Quantcast

Riding my bike in front of 16 thousand fans!

braaaap

Chimp
Feb 27, 2007
Utard
A friend and I (Another Utah Pro) have been asked to do a halftime show for the Utah Blaze arena football team. (and today it was confirmed) It involves riding our downhill bike down the stairs (28" wide) of the Energy Solutions Arena (Formerly the Delta Center) and jumping a big gap...then landing onto the field. We had done a few pre-cursors to make sure their is not too much inherent risk to ourselves or the fans. Everything went well. So now it’s on!
After a ton of thinking and measuring…we built a launch ramp that allows us to jump over a section of fans (22’ gap 17’down), then land on a 6’X14’ landing ramp out on the field. At first it seemed pretty sketchy to rally down the stairs at 25-30mph without hitting a fan or the hand rail..then booting over some fans onto the field. But after some practice it’s no problemo now. It’s a great way to pay for my race season while promoting our sport in a positive light. They have already done a little blurb and footage of us on a local Fox morning show.

I have some rough helmet cam footage…I may post it.
To hold you over…I have attached a photo of me jumping the gap.

Just so everyone knows…and to keep you all from roasting me on this forum..we have made sure it’s safe and that no fans will be injured
Let me know what you guys think.

We would like to show some footage of downhill racing (What I really do) to show on the jumbotron….Can I use any footage, or do I have to get permission from the makers of the film? Any ideas or comments are more than welcome.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Probably best idea is to go to a photo hosting site, like photobucket.com. It has larger bandwidth, and you can post the

braaaap

Chimp
Feb 27, 2007
Utard
sounds pretty cool... i'd be SOOOO nervous.

We had to ride our bikes down the stairs and out onto the field last game as a test. I have to admit...I was a bit nervous. It's good training for racing. Now 200 fans at a norba is nothing!

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Couldn't you get something better than particle board to build your ramps? I hope you have plenty of 2x4s behind that stuff, it's powerful weak you know.

braaaap

Chimp
Feb 27, 2007
Utard
Couldn't you get something better than particle board to build your ramps? I hope you have plenty of 2x4s behind that stuff, it's powerful weak you know.
We have it super reinforced. It weighs about 500lbs. It's getting a nice paintjob this weekend. It's solid bro...no need to worry about that.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
We would like to show some footage of downhill racing (What I really do) to show on the jumbotron….Can I use any footage, or do I have to get permission from the makers of the film? Any ideas or comments are more than welcome.
My inclination would be 'yes' you would have to get express written consent from at least the distribution company of the video.

braaaap

Chimp
Feb 27, 2007
Utard
That's funny because Earthed 4 is exactly what I had in mind. I will make some calls.
And thanks for the positive feedback.
Anyone out ther have some video producer contacts?

BBBSwan05

Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
you should (maybe i will if i get motivated enough) send ESPN a heads up(call or email) and they could put it in their top 10 for the day. turn 16k into 250k+
that would be insane, i remember 2 yrs ago they had footage from nationals/opens? at snowshoe.

either way, thats an amazing opportunity you have and best of luck to you and your friend.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
awesome shot, can't wait to see video

also try contacting darcy with the collective film group

darcy@thecollectivefilm.com

they sent me a care package for party we were doing for a injured biker that couldn't afford his medical bills

steve

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Damn, that's a big gap. Add 16K people and innocent bystanders and you've got a frikken nerve-racking stunt!

braaaap

Chimp
Feb 27, 2007
Utard
I am the first to admit....I will be more than a little nervous before the big jump. I have done it a bunch of times...but add 16-18K fans...who knows what to expect.
The big day is in May. (ESPN televised game) I laughed when someone suggested calling ESPN because they will be there.

J

Monkey
Dec 7, 2003
San Luis Obispo, CA
I would be a little worried about the fans gettting in the way of the sides of the stair run in. What if one decides to take a leak and stands up right in front of you?

Sounds awesome though, wish I could be there!

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
I am the first to admit....I will be more than a little nervous before the big jump. I have done it a bunch of times...but add 16-18K fans...who knows what to expect.
The big day is in May. (ESPN televised game) I laughed when someone suggested calling ESPN because they will be there.
Let us know the date that it airs on ESPN, so I can Tivo it.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Cool. People can be dumb though, I am not sure how wide the stairs are but keep in mind that on game day people are going to want to lean out into the isle to look back up the stairs and see you coming.

As for the footage, I have been in some Warren Miller films and they were pretty reasonable about letting it get used in the right context with consent. You may not be able to use the most recently relased stuff (as was the case with WMf) but it is good promotion for both parties involved...granted you don't choke and kill an 8 yr old! ;)

braaaap

Chimp
Feb 27, 2007
Utard
Let us know the date that it airs on ESPN, so I can Tivo it.
The game will be the monday night game on June 4th. Utah -vs- John Elways Orange Crush (Denver)
Can't Wait!...but every time I think about it my hands sweat. Is that a good or bad sign?