Quantcast

Riding on Orcas Island?

IMPULSE

Chimp
Mar 24, 2004
Hey,
A year ago I went to Orcas Island and as I was walking on a trail near a place called camp moran, I saw a buch of bikers with freeride looking bikes looking like they were about ready to go on a ride. Long story short, I am probably heading back out there this winter for a couple of days. Does anybody know about the riding here? If there is some secret stuff, any chance you could pm me? If not, could you at least tell me if there is some stuff out there to ride so I can have fun looking for it? Let me know.
Thanks

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
There are a bunch of really fun trails out there. Since the road goes to the top at the tower, you can also shuttle it. There "may" be a line off the top that others might want to pad up for. By riding around the other trails that are on the map, you should be able to find it... The trail that winds around the North side from the top to the back side of Twin Lakes is a blast. Fast and with good sight lines. 30 mph singletrack. The trails are open to bikes from Sept 15 to May 15th I think. (Too many families and tourists on the trails during the summer months.)

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
You or Skookie? ;)

You really need to get out there. It's really fun and pretty cool to get that much riding on the island. I think there is 38 miles open to us in the "off season". Hit it the last weekend it's open in May. I'll be there.
Then stay an extra day, catch the morning ferry and ride ACFL on your way home.:happydance:

Daily Show

Chimp
Nov 18, 2006
Wildlife Cycles in Eastsound has trail maps. My girlfriend and I camped at Mountain Lake and made a weekend of 2 years ago. Good times, but didn't find any freeride trails. Make sure to hit up the Doe Bay hot springs before you leave. Nice!

IMPULSE

Chimp
Mar 24, 2004
Any idea on how to get to the freeride trails in the area? I think I was born without the good trail finding instinct, I can search for hours and still find absolutely nothing. Takes me three usually to find the good stuff! And on this upcoming trip my time is limited. If anyone can point me in the right direction that would be awesome.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
I saw a buch of bikers with freeride looking bikes looking like they were about ready to go on a ride.
i'm just wondering why you didn't you stop and ask them while you were there. That being said i remember a comment about it being in a clearing where some power lines are? Who knows, doubtful most here just aren't willing to spend a bunch of dough to get over there for a day, i've been trying to get out there for years and nobody ever wants to go.:bonk: :biggrin:

IMPULSE

Chimp
Mar 24, 2004
awww, come on man! That's not fair! The reason I didn't stop and ask the people that I saw riding is because shortly after seeing them I proceeded to try to rip a bit of singletrack, only to run into a tent line that a camper had decided to tie across the run around to this big tree. It hooked me in the jaw and knocked me silly, didn't seem like a good time to ask for directions, you know? Please, anybody, if you know anything about some of these trails let me know.
Thanks

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Really, like anything else that everyone is asking for on here, it's about the easiest one to find. I mean, it's on an island and it's on the only mountain on the island and it's off the only road to the top of the mountain on the island...

Look at the map and you'll figure it out pretty easily. Though personally, the rest of the trails there are the real reason to ride there.

Things are much sweeter if you put a little effort in to finding them out.