Quantcast

Riding position

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
hey everyone, this isn't your tipical riding position thread. I wanted to start a discussion thread as to how the frame design/ suspension design/ center of gravity gives you variable riding positions. For example, I've ridden a couple of m3's and found that when going fast, or through turns, the bike kicks you back behand the seat. In contrast, when riding a Glory, I find the bike keeps you nice and centered and I don't have to make an effort to pull my body forward.
Does this have to do with the way the rear suspension works?, the system it has?, geometry?

kona-ryder

Monkey
Jul 18, 2006
Above you on the podium.
It has to do with where you are, in corolation to the wheels.
If you are in between the two wheels, the centrifugal force is distributed evenly.
If say, the bike has a long top-tube and shorts chain-stays you will feel like you are being pushed towards the rear of the bike and vise-versa.

jell-oe

Chimp
Jun 1, 2005
sunapee, NH
For me I have to fight a lot to get on the front end going through a corner quickly. I ride a medium DHR, and actually find the the top tube is a bit longer then the m3's I've ridden, where the m3 naturally seems to place you way farther forward than the DHR. I think tooling with the suspension set up could help with this - same with tooling with my skillz. :twitch:

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
i dont think i have ever felt what you are describing, all i do is try to stay in the center of my bike, with all my weight on my bb, as little as possible on the bars. when you come into corners you have to shift your weight depending on whats happening, but otherwise i am always over the bb.

maybe what you are trying to say has something to do with frame sizing and geometry more then actual suspension design. i ride a bike which is slightly bigger for me (s/m supreme dh), i feel very stable on it. i tried a mates bullit when helping him set up his bike, and felt like i wasn't 'in' the bike, more of 'on' the bike kinda thing. i know the bullit is a far from ideal dh bike, but just an example of going from one extreme to the other.

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
what kona-ryder says makes sense. I guess frame geometry has alot to do with it. I've observed people on dhrs to fall back as well. Personally on my Karpi I tend to fall back with the short chainstays and long top tube, but not as much as for example on the m3 or v10 I tried.