Quantcast

Riding year round

CrAckErKorEan

Ridemonkey's own half breed
Nov 29, 2001
Winder GA (Its in the sticks)
Its been a long while since I was active in this forum but figured that this is the best place to ask my question.

I went back to school full time the summer of 08 and I should be graduating this coming christmas.

My wife and I want to leave GA but would like to go some where with year round riding if at all possible. Even if its cold thats ok.

Here are some of the areas we are looking at
Denver Co (not sure if it gets too cold)
Portland Or
Lancaster/ Palmdale Ca
Norther New Mexico

Are there any other areas that we are leaving out? Also how is the riding in these areas?

thanks for the help guys.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I can't think of anywhere that would be great for year round riding. If you can ride all winter long, it's gotta be a place that has summers that are hot as eff.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Not to brag, but the entire NW has year round riding and milder summers.
After the first year, you get used to riding in the rain and just pick you riding spots accordingly.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I live in the Landscatter/Crackdale area...year round riding, but windy as all get out. I ride from the garage, rarely drive anywhere, but I live on a 310K acre military base(Edwards). I really dont know what is available down in town, but you can ride year round here. Rode both Xmas and New Years this year...

CrAckErKorEan

Nov 29, 2001
I live in the Landscatter/Crackdale area...year round riding, but windy as all get out. I ride from the garage, rarely drive anywhere, but I live on a 310K acre military base(Edwards). I really dont know what is available down in town, but you can ride year round here. Rode both Xmas and New Years this year...
Im looking at getting on with the DOD as a civilian and Edwards is one of the places I was looking at, I was actually born there but was there. Another California base I was looking at was Vandenberg.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Im looking at getting on with the DOD as a civilian and Edwards is one of the places I was looking at, I was actually born there but was there. Another California base I was looking at was Vandenberg.
As a civilian what? Let me know if you come up, I can show you the base trails, I have some fairly fun, decent trails I ride. Hope you dont like trees though...

There i riding around to commute to, Mammoth is 4+ hours away, Big Bear 2 and change. And the ocean and its associated stuff is not far. What do you ride mostly? XC? DH? Race tri-cycles?

nmjb

Monkey
Apr 26, 2005
Idyllwild, CA

Norther New Mexico

Are there any other areas that we are leaving out? Also how is the riding in these areas?
I grew up in northern New Mexico. There isn't what I would call year-round riding. At least some snow in most areas and quite a bit of snow in places. Also, even if there isn't snow on the ground it gets cold in the winter. On the flip side, NM is an awesome place to live and the riding is so good for the 9+ months you can ride.

What about Arizona?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I didn't ride year round in Portland, but close. Some of the trails get WAY too sloppy in the rain and you end up doing more trail damage than actual riding. But as far as a bike community, you can't beat Portland.

CrAckErKorEan

Nov 29, 2001
As a civilian what? Let me know if you come up, I can show you the base trails, I have some fairly fun, decent trails I ride. Hope you dont like trees though...

There i riding around to commute to, Mammoth is 4+ hours away, Big Bear 2 and change. And the ocean and its associated stuff is not far. What do you ride mostly? XC? DH? Race tri-cycles?
Im in school for electrical engineering. I mostly ride XC nothing too crazy for me.

Alot of it is making sure there is a market for me to work and then ride. The wife is a web designer so she will have to be able to find work also.

I am not sure whats around portland for me, I know of a couple of companies but not many. No AZ unless its flag staff... but no work for me so its basically out.

I knwo there plenty of compaines in denver but not sure how long the riding season is. Right now i enjoy riding in nice weather from march to december.

Last edited:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
That's a very good question about what climate is still rideable.

California is very seasonable year around, but the winter time is the rainy season, and it comes down in droves.

The Pacific Northwest is rainy most of the year, and while many days it is light, it can be daunting to ride in the rain almost every day for 6 months.

Obviously a desert climate will have the most sunny days, but are you willing to ride in 100+ temps?

As for Georgia, I would think the southern weather is more than adequate for riding. I used to live in Louisiana, and it was fine year round.

CrAckErKorEan

Nov 29, 2001
We love GA for the riding season even if we do ride in 90-100 degree weather in teh summer with horrid humidity but I dont like the city and work for me I would have to commute. I have been doing that for 10 years. Right now my commute from the hosue to school is 55 miles.

Also the wife doenst want to live in teh same place all her life so we figured me graduating would be the perfect time to relocate.

I have some friends in portland and they were saying that it doenst rain like it does in seattle. Maybe we will just settle on denver and ill have to learn hot to cross country ski or something.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I am not sure whats around portland for me, I know of a couple of companies but not many.
I KNOW your wife would find work in Portland and there are many companies for you as well depending on your area of focus. Companies like Solar World and Intel are huge for EE. There are a lot of manufacturing companies if that is your focus, too. Semi conductor companies are always looking for ME and EE folks.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
We love GA for the riding season even if we do ride in 90-100 degree weather in teh summer with horrid humidity but I dont like the city and work for me I would have to commute. I have been doing that for 10 years. Right now my commute from the hosue to school is 55 miles.

Also the wife doenst want to live in teh same place all her life so we figured me graduating would be the perfect time to relocate.

I have some friends in portland and they were saying that it doenst rain like it does in seattle. Maybe we will just settle on denver and ill have to learn hot to cross country ski or something.
My advice is to pick someone place that is livable and workable, then find the biking next.

Besides the obviously mediocre cycling areas, like Atlanta(!!!), most towns have decent riding, road and mountain.

For example, I moved to Connecticut sight unseen, and I was able to find some very nice XC/FR loops and plenty of great road riding.

In comparison, I'm not totally happy living in SF, but I knew there would be plenty of super rides here.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Im in school for electrical engineering. I mostly ride XC nothing too crazy for me.

Alot of it is making sure there is a market for me to work and then ride. The wife is a web designer so she will have to be able to find work also.

I am not sure whats around portland for me, I know of a couple of companies but not many. No AZ unless its flag staff... but no work for me so its basically out.

I knwo there plenty of compaines in denver but not sure how long the riding season is. Right now i enjoy riding in nice weather from march to december.

It sounds to me like the Bay Area (SF) is really the place for you two. Good work opportunities in both of the areas you mentioned, and year round bike weather. It can get a little wet in the winter, but nothing too bad.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
The Santa Barbara area is PRIME!

Summer is more mild than in LA and the winters aren't quite as wet as in Norcal.

Oh I forgot to mention that the riding is pretty OK too. :)

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Colorado riding season is *marginal* "year 'round"... you might get lucky and it might not snow much... but don't move there expecting "sweet" riding year around.

It gets cold as balls here too... sometimes...

:D

CrAckErKorEan

Nov 29, 2001
California sounds great but the cost of living scares us, that's the main thing. We would hate to plan on leaving and find out we can barely afford a place better than the one we have now. Not looking for a mcmansion but an upgrade would be nice esp with enough property to build a shop and room for kids. We are also looking for good schools etc.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I live in So Cal right by Disneyland. The cost of living is high here, but the payscales are higher as well. Personally, I would never live in Palmdale. Sure, you could get more land for cheaper, but it's hot as hell out there during the summer. There are only a handful of days out of the year that you can't ride because of the rain. I definitely think there are better places to live if your life centers around riding, but I love everything Cali (esp So Cal) has to offer that isn't riding. It's expensive to live here because people want to live here.

There is also the Corona/Riverside area that offers affordable housing with big lots. It's outside of the Orange County area, but is a fraction of the price.

California sounds great but the cost of living scares us, that's the main thing. We would hate to plan on leaving and find out we can barely afford a place better than the one we have now. Not looking for a mcmansion but an upgrade would be nice esp with enough property to build a shop and room for kids. We are also looking for good schools etc.
NRG Systems

Al C. Oholic

Monkey
Feb 11, 2010
FoCo
ya i grew up in Denver and now live about an hour north of there. there really isn't completely year-round riding. all winter long there are many XC trails that are doable, it's just that a lot of times it snows just enough to muck up the whole trail, and if the sun comes out it snows again too quickly for the trails to get into good condition. if you're okay with muddin it a lot then it's not so bad.
as far as DH/FR go, all the best riding is up at the resorts, which are all skiing in the winter. they don't open their trails till like mid-june, and they close in September. There is some DH along the front range, but a lot of it isn't legal and a lot more of it just can't be shuttled very easily.
DESPITE all that, this is a fantastic place to live and there's lots to do aside from riding, i don't doubt your family will love it here.