Quantcast

rigid fork

cazyryder

Chimp
Nov 27, 2001
hey im trying to decode weather to get a ridgid fork from ben at unrealcycles.com. i dont have much time to decide to i need help asap. im gona use my bike for mainly dirt jumping, urban assaults, and sum moderate hucking like 5 feet or so to flat.
thanx

Shibby

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
cambridge, ma
don't "huck" with a rigid fork. if ya gonna go rigid, learn how to land all trialsy-style. the planet-x knifen looks good :)

but if you're like the rest of us (myself definitely included), a cheap and durable suspension fork is definitely worth its weight in gold for added comfort/control/safety... i suggest the Marzocchi Z5. only a few more bucks than the knifen. plush, solid, and easy to work on.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
I think rigid forks are great for developing and refining your skills. It can take your riding to the next level when you go back to suspension. BUT, the people who will benefit most from it need to already be good riders. Someone who is used to letting the bike (forks and shocks) do the work will not enjoy the brutality of it and most likely will break or damage something, whether on their body or their bike. You need skills to ride rigid. Props to anyone who does it. I think I'll be picking up a Knifen for next year to develop more control.

Locosrus

Chimp
Dec 18, 2001
Fran sancisco
Originally posted by Bulldog
I think rigid forks are great for developing and refining your skills. It can take your riding to the next level when you go back to suspension. BUT, the people who will benefit most from it need to already be good riders. Someone who is used to letting the bike (forks and shocks) do the work will not enjoy the brutality of it and most likely will break or damage something, whether on their body or their bike. You need skills to ride rigid. Props to anyone who does it. I think I'll be picking up a Knifen for next year to develop more control.
Since my Sid cooked I've picked up my ol' Bonty and started ridin' it off road again, I never put shocks on it cause it has those ol' sexy switchblade rigids.
It's been really cool to ride my favorite trails on a fully rigid instead of my FS bike, you really have to look for your lines or else you get wasted real quick.
I don't know that I would spend a bundle on a rigid fork. I would probably try a cheapie first, a lot of shops have brand new take offs for like $20 or even free, the ones made by Trek are pretty good but stay away from the Kona projects
My 2 cents
Peace

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
If you decide to get the Knifen talk to Kevin at webcyclery. He's got a few that the clear coat was applied to quickly and it cracked the chrom paint. They are as good as normal ones but its a cosmetic problem. He sold me one for something like 50 some dollars.

DAGumZ

Chimp
Jan 21, 2002
Toronto
Originally posted by Dog Welder
If you decide to get the Knifen talk to Kevin at webcyclery. He's got a few that the clear coat was applied to quickly and it cracked the chrom paint. They are as good as normal ones but its a cosmetic problem. He sold me one for something like 50 some dollars.
That sounds to be a sweet deal, I just got mine for a SC Chameleon, set up as a trials bike. What a difference over what I had.