Quantcast

Rim brake noise.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I just built a new cx bike up for my wife and I'm running new avid shorty brakes on new Sun CR-18 rims. The front brake squeals like a stuck pig and really doesn't have as much power as I think it should. I've tried towing in the pads, running them flat, etc. and I just can't seem to get rid of the squeal.

Is there a break-in period for rim brake pads on new rims (similar to that of discs)? Or am I just not setting these things up right? The rear brake doesn't seem to have this problem.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
There are a bunch of tricks, from reversing the toe-in, cleaning the rim, to filing the pad a little.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
I had one rim that no matter what I did it would squeal. Changed it out and it and have been happy ever since. Hope you have better luck.

budgetrider

Monkey
Jan 23, 2005
Wumpus said:
I had one rim that no matter what I did it would squeal. Changed it out and it and have been happy ever since. Hope you have better luck.
First tension your spokes. Then spray a shook up can of coke on the braking surface of the rims. Then let it dry. (It works)

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
budgetrider said:
First tension your spokes. Then spray a shook up can of coke on the braking surface of the rims. Then let it dry. (It works)
Diet coke works better for cleaning surfaces since there's no sugar (though it can still be sticky). I've never used it for rims, though.

I have, however, use brake cleaner which is far more nasty than the old Coke trick, and some rims will squeal. Never had an expensive wheelset squeal but a couple budget jobs I've ridden or were on friends' bikes simply did not respond to anything.

mtbingdude

Chimp
Jan 17, 2005
i run into custumers that complain about this alot... just take some sandpaper and rough up the pades a bit.. and squeel be gone

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Thanks for all the suggestions. Crazy harmonic oscillators!

My wife got a flat. I changed the tube out with a different weight tube and now the noise is gone! Change the mass and the resonant frequency go bye bye.