Quantcast

Rim Suggestion for DH Race Wheelset

BMCarter

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
Santa Barbara
Yes, I searched, but I have unique needs for a DH race rim.

I'll start with the tl;dr - Need suggestions for race rim that is wide, SOFT, and somewhat light that won't break the bank.

The last couple years I have been running Sun EQ31 rims on my race day wheels. They were light (sub 550g), wide (31mm), cheap and WILL easily dent. Match made in heaven.

Because they were cheap, I bought a bunch of them and would just replace the rim every couple race weekends. I'd rather lace up a cheap rim every few races than deal with getting a flat in a race run. Knock on wood, my theory has held up thus far.

Sadly, I'm out of rims now. Since Sun has discontinued the EQ31, I am struggling to find a suitable replacement.

The EQ31 was replaced with the Inferno 31. Has anyone tried the Inferno 31? This seems like my front-runner at this point. Weight is the same, width is the same, and price is great. I just want to make sure these are still as buttery soft as the EQ31.

Other options have included:
DT EX500. Pros - low weight, will dent. Cons - too narrow, higher cost.
Mavic 721. Pros - low weight, will dent. Cons - way too narrow, higher cost.
Stans Flow EX. Pros - super light, will dent. Cons - too narrow

Beyond that, I am really out of ideas. I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks!
Brent

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Why are you set on having wide rims? I'm of the belief that most tyres work better on a narrower rim as it (generally) gives them a rounder profile, making the grip and breakaway more predictable.

Anyway, Flow EX would be my choice, without a doubt. Not very cheap though.

BMCarter

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
Santa Barbara
I prefer the tire profile with the wider rim. Whether or not it's the truth, I feel that my cornering improved substantially when I went from a narrower rim to a wider one. Thus, my affinity for a wider rim.

Also in my (non engineer) brain, a wider rim may lead to less pinch flats. As the rim gets wider, the tube sits more inside the rim, than outside of it. So given a direct vertical impact, the tube may "get out of the way" a bit easier than with a narrow rim.

EDIT: Flow EX is a lot wider than I thought. 29.1mm. 2mm difference isn't going to make or brake anything. Saving 140g across the wheelset is a plus too. So now it's between the Inferno 31 if I want to save $$, or the Flow Ex if I want to save weight.

Last edited:

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Fair enough. Confidence is everything - if you're happier with a wider rim, get a wider rim! :)

And yes, as you've spotted the EX is a few mm wider than the previous non-EX rims. They vary a bit in weight by the way - I have two of them and while one is the claimed 490g, the other is a positively lardy 503g. Seemed quite a big variation for a precision part like a rim...

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Dartmoor rider rims:

550g for 26''
31,4mm outer, 24mm inner
Soft but fairly durable and insanely cheap. Don't know the specific US price but here they are even cheaper than MTX 31. (19-30 eur depending on what country you order from)

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
New rims every couple of race weekends doesn't sound right. Is that for real?

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
Had a pair of inferno rims (think it was the 29) i can confirm that they are indeed soft. After a small off on a bridge the front bent quite bad.

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
If it helps the Flow rims have a shorter sidewall which allows the tire to have a wider profile. Also it reduces pinch flats. Hopefully not jinxing myself by saying this but..... I have had the same set of Flow rims for 3 seasons now and have yet to have to true them and have never had a pinch flat. They have been on my AM/FR.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Bontrager big earl rims if you can find em. I got 8 of them at 6 bucks a pop. Very wide, soft as ****, and weigh ~530g each.

And I went through all of them, otherwise I'd help you out. Gonna be sad using a heavier wheelset now.

Last edited:

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Why are you set on having wide rims? I'm of the belief that most tyres work better on a narrower rim as it (generally) gives them a rounder profile, making the grip and breakaway more predictable.

Anyway, Flow EX would be my choice, without a doubt. Not very cheap though.
Agreed. Wider = better cornering grip, but less feel and control for slides.
Flow would be my choice. Atom LabPimp Lite for rear if you want stronger. Might not dent enough for you. Maybe Mavic 729.

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
If it helps the Flow rims have a shorter sidewall which allows the tire to have a wider profile. Also it reduces pinch flats. Hopefully not jinxing myself by saying this but..... I have had the same set of Flow rims for 3 seasons now and have yet to have to true them and have never had a pinch flat. They have been on my AM/FR.
Funny you should say that , @150lbs geared up , my set of Flows on my Trail bike have both serious dent on them and I be never put a single dent on any of my XC wheels in 20 years ;) ...decent enough for trail bike but I would never ride those on my DH ... It really depends where and how you ride.;)

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
Why not just go with the Inferno 31s? They are cheap and the same width and weight. I don't know how they differ from the EQs but maybe somebody else does. They do build up pretty easily.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Funny you should say that , @150lbs geared up , my set of Flows on my Trail bike have both serious dent on them and I be never put a single dent on any of my XC wheels in 20 years ;) ...decent enough for trail bike but I would never ride those on my DH ... It really depends where and how you ride.;)
You must have a heavy riding style. Rode flows front on my dh bike for 1.5 season. Some small dents but overall no problems

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
I'd agree the Flows are pretty cheesy compared to 823s, Atom Labs etc. Both my front and rear are dented after only months, seemed to come untrue pretty quickly too. I'll still get them again for the front, and front and rear on all my other non DH bikes.

Last edited:

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
I have always used MTX laced to Hope. Always been pleased with their performance.

Chris

BMCarter

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
Santa Barbara
Thanks for all the responses guys.

Going to give the Flow EXs a try.

Agreed. Can't be worth the time it takes to tear down, rebuild, dish, tension, and true the new rim. Time is money after all.
It's not a big deal. I'd much rather swap a rear rim out while I am sitting on the couch once every couple months then get a flat in a race run. It's not like I'm lacing up a complete wheel, literally just moving spokes from one rim to the other. Also frequency of rim changes depends on how often/where I am racing. Angel Fire = new rim. Fontana won't even dent one.

Last edited:

ender

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
Thought I'd get this thread going again.

Most of the rims I was looking into were between 30 and 32 mm wide. Just saw the Mavic 729 is 36? Thats really wide.

Anyway, what did you decide on BMCarter?

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
Most of the rims I was looking into were between 30 and 32 mm wide. Just saw the Mavic 729 is 36? Thats really wide.

823 is narrower

Maxtal
SUP
FORE
Aluminum threaded eyelets (supplied with the rim)
UST Tubeless or Tubetype
Disc

DIMENSIONS
ETRTO compatible size: 559 x 23
Recommended tyre widths: 2.30 to 3.00
Valve hole diameter: 6.5 mm
Recommended nipple length: 16 mm
Do not use any rim tape