Quantcast

Rims

MattAllDay

Chimp
Jun 18, 2010
Hey I bent my front rim hitting a jump -.- its unridable i need some suggestions for a good strong rim im ridding a 09 night train =P thanks

sheeponabike

Chimp
Oct 26, 2010
i think there are alot of realli good rims out there, i just built up a pair of atomlabs and they seem like stupid stiff and strong wheels, i have run dt swiss rims on my xc bike and was nothing but happy with them, the one thing i will say is get someone who is good at building wheels to build them up, or build them urself under the guidance of someone who knows what they are talking about, this way u can learn as well. No machine built wheel will ever last as well as a good old fashion hand built wheel.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Mavic 721. I've been rocking the same wheels on my dirtjumper for about 4 years. That never happened with anything else.
How heavy are the rims themselves? I have seen several advertised weights for them, everything from 600g to 900g. I wanted to build up a set for my AM bike but I can't seem to get an exact weight.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
No machine built wheel will ever last as well as a good old fashion hand built wheel.

That's just not true.
My wheels were machine built.

The biggest problem with machine built wheels is that most companies skimp on spokes to make the wheels light. For something like dirtjumping, thick, straight gauge spokes and good tension are more important than what laces them.

sheeponabike

Chimp
Oct 26, 2010
That's just not true.
My wheels were machine built.

The biggest problem with machine built wheels is that most companies skimp on spokes to make the wheels light. For something like dirtjumping, thick, straight gauge spokes and good tension are more important than what laces them.
Ok maybe i spoke alittle bit too generally, however more times then not, hand built wheels are superior to machine built. Im not saying that all machine built wheels are rubbish however, most machines will not prestress spokes while tensioning, tension is usually not brought to a point where it should be. Machines do alot of things great, however there are many factors to be taken into consideration when building a wheel, a machine may not preform all these roles as well as a human.

Just my two cents.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Well generally speaking, machine built wheels use cheaper bits and are built to go as OEM parts on bikes where the entire package is put together for cheap and light. If someone's handbuilding a wheel, it's more likely that they're using higher end components. That's where the main difference is in my mind. But I've got a machine built set of mavic 721s with brass nipples, dt swiss 2.0 spokes and the things are bomber.....because that's exactly the wheel I would have built up myself.

By the way have you seen life cycles yet? There's a clip of a wheel lacing machine in the opening. Those things are friggin rad. I definitely wish I had one. :D